Maryville's Philip Juhlin

Rebs0908

As a former player and long time fan, I think Philip is the best overall QB Maryville has had in a long time. Cade who initially went to play for the old ball coach at South Carolina is my second pick, he didn't have the size (weight) but had great vision and ability to get the ball to the open reciever. Philip can get the ball where it needs to go and he runs the ball very well. If he does not get offered from a D1 school I can see him walking on to a big time program and taking 2-3 yrs to develop into a great QB. He certanly has the leadership mentality and under the right system he would be a very succesful QB.

Call me crazy but I believe Toki McCray is ahead of both of them, they are nice QB's and winners, but Toki McCray was better.

Can't agree or disagree with you here. I have always heard that Toki was an awesome athlete and QB but I was younger when I watched him play so I don't remember him a whole lot. I can given an honest opinion starting with Nick Giles till now

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toki likely had the stronger arm, but it is really a pro style QB and Dual threat comparison, as Toki was not asked to do much with his feet. Maryville has had some good ones lately and Quarles is no doubt the common thread. He was off coordinator in 98 when Toki was a senior. Giles, Cade Thompson and Burnette were all good ones as well. I will say this though, from August 08 until now I don't know I have seen one make the strides and evolve as much as Juhlin. He was pretty decent to start with, and is now playing some amazing football. I agree with the poster who mentioned his game management; he is a true leader on the field and that is a great intangible for any QB to have since the offense runs through him.

I see. Toki had great footwork and would run option and make runs during practice, but there as no reason for him to run. He had a stable of backs: Potter, Presnell, Dyer, Hammontree (cody), and the list goes on. Giles was a smart QB. He was not the most athletic, but he understood the game, schemes, and numbers I believe he has the record for higest GPA ever on the team, LOL. Since my school days I have seen the new QB's come into the Maryville program and have not been let down once. Quarles plays his best so whoever is suiting up on a given friday is no scrub. I have only seen Juhlin play a few times, but can tell from his numbers that he is top notch. I wonder how he or any of the last few QB's would have played if they had Maryville's 1998 line, Matt Sharp, James Richardson, Issaac Simerly, Chuck Prugh, and Nick Black??

I think someone from the daily times must have been reading coacht because they've had more articles on alcoa and maryville this week than they've had all year. Also a great article on Philip and I couldn't agree more with what GQ said.

http://www.thedailytimes.com/article/20 ... /-1/sports

This is not the whole article (you have to buy the paper for that) but its a good one!