scott smith resigns as topper headcoach

sissygirl

The banquet should NOT be about Carter. Surely he would not announce there. Do it now if he is staying. If he already has a deal with Science Hill, say it now and stay away from the banquet.

This season was about the players, not Carter.

I agree 100% JHilts the banquet is the wrong place to annouce that he's leaving..and most likely he is.Because if he was going to stay surely he would have done cleared the air with his players.They don't know what to think.If he waits to the banquet and makes his announcement he will kill the banquet..and all the players feelings....I BELIEVE THAT WOULD BE THE WRONG PLACE... Unless he's going to announce he's staying.If not he needs to go on to Science Hill now.. :lol:

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big picture here is that Central has the draw of athletes it takes to field a superb football team year after year. Just ask Chas' Seegar. And East is not far behind. What we have here is a potential win situation for all. Chaz' Seegar to Central as Head Coach. There are two men ready at both South and DB to go and do their missionary work. Two at East and two at Central. And then two more at South able and ready to run the show. And I'm confident that Chaz' Seegar has a replacement ready and waiting at his office. There you go...everybody is happy and everybody got upgraded. Well...except Sullivan South...but then maybe that is our calling...to send our best to do their best to produce the best. If nothing else it is a challenge. And we live for that.

The big picture here is that Central has the draw of athletes it takes to field a superb football team year after year. Just ask Chas' Seegar. And East is not far behind. What we have here is a potential win situation for all. Chaz' Seegar to Central as Head Coach. There are two men ready at both South and DB to go and do their missionary work. Two at East and two at Central. And then two more at South able and ready to run the show. And I'm confident that Chaz' Seegar has a replacement ready and waiting at his office. There you go...everybody is happy and everybody got upgraded. Well...except Sullivan South...but then maybe that is our calling...to send our best to do their best to produce the best. If nothing else it is a challenge. And we live for that.

All my people say I ain't too smart and this just proves it. :roflol:

There is an article in this morning's Johnson City Press on the coaching search. Some selected highlights:

Salary supplement for coaching would be $6500 to $8000, in addition to teaching salary

Outside booster money would not be part of salary

Hope to make a hire by mid January

New stadium will seat 5000

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Sports/article.php?ID=72870

The salary was surprisingly low to what I would have thought it would have been. Knowing what coaches in Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and Texas make this is extremely low. I know assistants in other states that make 12,000 at AAA schools. I know some of you are going to say they should not make that much but look what they bring in if they are doing their jobs right. Football brings in a bunch of money if there are 5,000 fans at every home game. To be successful and draw the top level coaches, the salaries must be increased.

The OL coach was not a hold over but he was hired by Coach Smith and as far as questioning things in practice it is his job. Since you have coaching aspirations maybe you can tell us all how running plays can work when the blocking scheme calls for pocket protection?.

You mean a draw play? Steve Spurrier's whole offense basically revolved around that concept when he was at Florida. He'd run the lead draw if the LBs and S were dropping off or he'd fake the lead draw and throw if they were coming up hard to stop it. Either way, the OL would just set up for pass protection to while the back would find the hole. Lots of teams block their draws like that. I don't see what's so shocking or unrealistic about this idea...

No I mean a sweep or a direct hand off, if you saw it you would say as many have over the years that it is a mix up on the scheme. Most of the time they would be lined up with a single back and there was no fake, no read by the QB, just a direct hand off or pitch. If they were running a draw type play I would not question the blocking scheme.

Maybe you can tell us all how ANY play can work when your play allows for one or sometime two players to go UNBLOCKED even when the players are pleading their case.

You mean an option play, like a zone read? That's WHY you run options: to run the ball without having to block 1 or 2 guys! Again, this is not an earth shattering concept...

No option about it, again a direct hand off to either side or a sweep, if it was backside being unblocked a many times they could disrupt the play before it developed. (I kept waiting for a trap block to occur but it did not) Other times it was a called play to the side where the unblocked players were. There was no option in the offense so again no reads or option to read, the RB had the ball and it was up to him to get out of it.

http://smartfootball.com/run-game/orego ... e#more-745

http://smartfootball.com/defending-spre ... eer-option

http://smartfootball.com/run-game/the-z ... on#more-85

http://sky.prohosting.com/cbbrown/2005/ ... -read.html

All anyone had to do was sit in the stands for three years and you could see that the offense he had running around in his mind was not practical. The confusion that was evident for three years on offense leads to the frustration that must have boiled over.

The offense was "practical." Smith proved that at Franklin, and he proved it when coaches from all around this part of the U.S. were hitting him up for information on the cool new ideas he was SUCCESSFULLY running there. Whatever Smith's downfall was at SH, it was not Xs and Os.

Matter of opinion but I respect your comments.

Now, the execution of it was bad, though. For whatever reason, their kids just were not prepared to play football. I think the results would've been the same in any system with fundamentals as bad as what SH has shown over the past few years. If your players don't know where to go, what to do, or even how to do it, then your team is going to struggle. That's usually the result of bad position coaching, but the head coach is ultimately the one who should be held accountable for everything, good or bad.

Agree

Bottom line is that unless you lived it day after day for three years then you can't really appreciate what the coaches and players had to deal with.

Whats done is done and there is no use in rehashing everything but in the end the best decision was made. I look forward to seeing who the next coach will be and will continue to support the Toppers in any way I can.

This is true, and I'll stop here. I don't know Smith personally. I wasn't at practices. I didn't watch every SH game. I don't know every detail of what was going on behind closed doors. All I'm saying is that people are looking at Smith like the guy was a clueless moron who had no clue what he was doing. That's just not right. You don't win championships or get invited to speak at coaching clnics across the southeast by being an idiot.

I can't vouch for his personality or what really went down at SH, but a lot of stuff here makes me think he might have been the victim of broken promises and backstabbing assistants as well as his own hubris. I'm sure that SH promised him the world when they brought him in, but it sounds like, for whatever reason, he wasn't given the authority or resources to rebuild the program the way he wanted it once he got there. That happens to HS coaches all the time. I know plenty of coaches in other states who've lived through that firsthand, and it has nothing to do with talent, players, or the abilities of the head coach.

But either way, what's done is done. I wish Smith well wherever he goes just as I wish the future coach of SH, whoever he is, a lot of success.

Agree.

Thanks for your comments

There is an article in this morning's Johnson City Press on the coaching search. Some selected highlights:

Salary supplement for coaching would be $6500 to $8000, in addition to teaching salary

I saw that, didn't really match up to much of the figures that we said on here. Pay raise for some to go there, but really it comes to "is it worth it" when you look at SH and their football history.

Definitely a challenge tho, I will agree with who said that.

I saw that, didn't really match up to much of the figures that we said on here. Pay raise for some to go there, but really it comes to "is it worth it" when you look at SH and their football history.

Definitely a challenge tho, I will agree with who said that.

It only says booster/salary. There is no mention of a booster/signing bonus....just wondering. This doesn't seem lucarative enough to lure Coach Carter from South.

Is Keith Turner, Science Hill Athletic Director related to Mike Turner, Assistant football coach at Carson Newman?

It only says booster/salary. There is no mention of a booster/signing bonus....just wondering. This doesn't seem lucarative enough to lure Coach Carter from South.

Is Keith Turner, Science Hill Athletic Director related to Mike Turner, Assistant football coach at Carson Newman?

"With 15 years of coaching experience, the supplement would be an additional $8,000 for a total of $73,000. "

I can't think of anyone on that list, besides maybe Mike Turner, that gets up to that amount. I guess Masters degree and any other endorsements might add to that as well. I am willing to beat there are some other things in there that JC school systems can do to add to that number that don't have anything to do with football, and that shouldn't be listed to the public since it is a personal contract outside of football, which would make sense. I think Coach Carter should stay at South, not enough money to lure him away, along with the hassel and the nagging feeling in the back of his head that says "What if it is the system of JC and not anything any coach has tried?" It could be three years and done and then where is he going to go?

With Coach Turner, goign back home to where he is from would be something that makes more sense and may be more long term...then again it may not. Tough decision but it seems like the challenge might very well draw some people in. Then again, maybe they have more money we aren't seeing, such as to draw Coach Smith all the way from nasheville to coach in JC.

"With 15 years of coaching experience, the supplement would be an additional $8,000 for a total of $73,000. "

I can't think of anyone on that list, besides maybe Mike Turner, that gets up to that amount. I guess Masters degree and any other endorsements might add to that as well. I am willing to beat there are some other things in there that JC school systems can do to add to that number that don't have anything to do with football, and that shouldn't be listed to the public since it is a personal contract outside of football, which would make sense. I think Coach Carter should stay at South, not enough money to lure him away, along with the hassel and the nagging feeling in the back of his head that says "What if it is the system of JC and not anything any coach has tried?" It could be three years and done and then where is he going to go?

With Coach Turner, goign back home to where he is from would be something that makes more sense and may be more long term...then again it may not. Tough decision but it seems like the challenge might very well draw some people in. Then again, maybe they have more money we aren't seeing, such as to draw Coach Smith all the way from nasheville to coach in JC.

I really had no idea what sort of salary JC was going to be able to offer but I really think that the main draw to the Hill for SC would be the opportunity and challenge to take the reins of one of the state's largest high schools and guide it to realize it's potential. I don't think that the realistic dollar figures that have been discussed in this forum are by themselves enough of an incentive to move. The other draw could be the opportunity to work some sort of a deal as mentioned with the Nelson's to all move there at the same time. I don't know how close those guys are but I can see as that being very attractive if they really are as tight as some have inferred. As you all know though, this is going to be a tightrope for those guys. They would obviously be burning bridges with the Sullivan County school system and it wouldn't be easy to come back if things don't work out just right on the Hill. And you can bet that they would be jettisoned just as quickly (and as professionally !) as Scott Smith was if things don't work out. I think that all of these guys have great potential but just imagine the long lasting hard feelings and distrust that a move like this would generate.