Top AA teams in the state....

GCPioneer

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am not mistaken years ago when Jackson Co. was still in what is now 8AA the two districts actually got together for a tournament that included most of the teams from both districts....does anyone else remember that?

LA lost and dont remember what Jackson County did. I think GCP, Greenfield and I are saying we would like to see this more than just every few years or later in the state if both districts are fortunate to have a team(s) to go. This season and last season, had the two districts got together, Gibson Co. would probably be the dominant team...but for the most part as far as districts would go, it would be a toss up year in and year out. Not trying to take away from any other AA district out there as there some good teams across the state, IMO, these two carry 3-4 teams every season that can play with just about any one.

If they did a rotating holiday tournament between 13AA and 7AA and rotate it back and forth between the locations. It would draw a crowd and be some great games. Go ahead and combine it with 7A and 14A, that would be some great matchups.

Now you are getting to something. The Mid South in Cookeville and the GC in Gibson can be the venues unless someone is scared to show up. Mid South says they attract State Championship participants every year. And they do. GC Tournament says for the first time in 84 years they have outside the county participation this year. Theres plenty of room I suspect since if the crowd gets too big, UT Martin or Tennessee Tech might help out. GF and BD1 ought to talk that up and some schools in both Districts might need to show up. At Cookeville, schools already show.

Greenfieldfan, no hard feelings here. I just honestly don't know any other team in West Tennessee that could give us much of a game. Me and a buddy were talking tonight at the GC Christmas Tournament and he said the only team that has a possibility of beating us, outside of Westview and OC, is Memphis Central, a Triple A Memphis school.

As for the 13AA/8AA (now) showdown, I'd love to see it happen every year with alternating locations. It did happen at Westview a couple of years ago and it was an awesome thing! There are 3 gyms in 13AA (Gibson, Obion, Westview) that are definately worthy of hosting a playday such as that. GC played in the Mid South Classic back a few years ago and did fairly well there considering we were down that year.

From what I hear, Westview might have a HUGE tournament next year. From what I understand, they're bringing down some of the top Kentucky boys and girls basketball programs and playing them against some of the best that West TN has to offer in boys and girls. That tournament WILL bring in a huge crowd if they get the teams in that I hear in both the boys and girls side. It could wind up being like a mini Marhsall Co. Hoopfest.

"...ballfan, you make some good points. GHS is a quality team with a good coach and a winning tradition. Certainly, they deserve ranking consideration. Additionally, I'm sure the SG and EHS rankings were based mainly on last year's results, their returning players, and their records so far this year. GHS had an amazing win over SG this week, but were soundly defeated last night by the Lady Cyclones. I'm sure there were multiple factors in that game. It should not be overlooked that to do battle with SG on Tuesday and then have to play EHS on Thursday is a tough assignment for anyone. However, it should be noted that the Lady Cyclone team that played last night is not the same team that lost to GHS in the HOF game on day 1 of the season. We played about as poorly as seemingly possible in that game. Last night the Lady Cyclones played excellent defense and were very proficient on offense (neither could be said about the HOF game). It is obvious that Greeneville wasn't at their best last night either. I'd like to think the Lady Cyclones had something to do with that. Regardless, I believe that EHS, Unicoi, SG and Greeneville are the four best AA teams east of Knoxville (and all are probably in top 20 in the state). I'm not a bettin' man, but if I was, I suspect there are some epic battles in the future for these teams. Good luck the rest of the season and I hope to see you in the regionals. :thumb:

Well said...it's going to be very interesting in AA this year...looking forward to it!

I know its a long way to travel but i would have liked to have seen LA play GC this season, but i guess it will have to wait till tournement time. I watched the GC team play all there games in the state tournement last year.I dont think it would have made a diffrence who they played they would have won by at least 20. To finish a season undefeated is a major acomplishmentfor any team to do and you have to play the best ball that you can every game to keep that kind or record. Im looking forward to seeing yall again at the tournement this year maybe we can switch the color of the ball that we bring home this time tho. :) Best of Luck to GC and LA the rest of the season. Merry Christmas!

Thanks LA,

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all in your community! Citizens like you only affirm my decision to move to Tennessee 13 years ago. Good luck on the journey for the gold ball, it could be your's!

We are glad to have you in TN. LA is having a bit of a struggle right now (it seams)in being able to play a good 4 quarters. After the Cannon Co. game LA has played kinda sub par. But i think things are looking up for the LA team. Coach Smith will have them back in shape before we get back to district play. Its going to be an interesting ride for the rest of the season which I hope comes to and end on the last day of the state tourney with the LA girls holding a gold ball. I hope we have a chance to play Gibson Co in the tournement at somepoint prob the championship game. How is Gibson playing right now? I havent saw any scores in a while ive not had internet access.

I know its a long way to travel but i would have liked to have seen LA play GC this season, but i guess it will have to wait till tournement time. I watched the GC team play all there games in the state tournement last year.I dont think it would have made a diffrence who they played they would have won by at least 20. To finish a season undefeated is a major acomplishmentfor any team to do and you have to play the best ball that you can every game to keep that kind or record. Im looking forward to seeing yall again at the tournement this year maybe we can switch the color of the ball that we bring home this time tho. :) Best of Luck to GC and LA the rest of the season. Merry Christmas!

Thanks LA,

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all in your community! Citizens like you only affirm my decision to move to Tennessee 13 years ago. Good luck on the journey for the gold ball, it could be your's!

We are glad to have you in TN. LA is having a bit of a struggle right now (it seams)in being able to play a good 4 quarters. After the Cannon Co. game LA has played kinda sub par. But i think things are looking up for the LA team. Coach Smith will have them back in shape before we get back to district play. Its going to be an interesting ride for the rest of the season which I hope comes to and end on the last day of the state tourney with the LA girls holding a gold ball. I hope we have a chance to play Gibson Co in the tournement at somepoint prob the championship game. How is Gibson playing right now? I havent saw any scores in a while ive not had internet access.

Gibson Co. is winning by an average of 39 pts per game, the closest spread was against Westview earlier this month, 11pts, and Obion Co., 16pts. The largest margins of victory are 64 against Ripley and 57 against Covington. More often then not, Butler, Griffin, and Reedy are getting limited playing minutes in the second half. :)!!!

If they did a rotating holiday tournament between 13AA and 7AA and rotate it back and forth between the locations. It would draw a crowd and be some great games. Go ahead and combine it with 7A and 14A, that would be some great matchups.

You know a rotating with a format somewhat like the SEC/ACC would be a good pre District format and challenging to get ready for the District.

If I am not mistaken years ago when Jackson Co. was still in what is now 8AA the two districts actually got together for a tournament that included most of the teams from both districts....does anyone else remember that?

JaxCo was still in 7AA and it was called the 7AA-13AA challenge and it was held in our gym at Martin

it was 5wins for 13AA vs 1 win for 7AA

the games were actually embarassingly one-sided when the "13AA Big Three faced the 7AA Big Three"

i don't remember who played who but GC, MWv, and OC all beat JC, Up, LA by 15+ each