And now the topic goes off the boards and into mainstream

texas23

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tex23, Thanks for posting that link. I am not happy that someone has suggested that the program in question and their amazing legacy is possibly tarnished because they have not wrestled certain schools. As a fan of this sport and someone who had to wrestle all schools in the state as anyone did prior to the mid 90's, you always want to see a level playing field when we honor the Champions of the post split era. Personally, Tennessee should go to a format similar to California's and have a masters tournament. This way The best will show up and it will help our state's credibility across the country. With that being said, I am a huge fan of Coach Henry and his attitude toward wrestling everyone.

Coaches all have the right to wrestle who they want. That being said Steve Henry is my Hero! He has taken on the best in the area for as long as i can remember an had his share of the wins. I have often heard some of his former wrestlers brag that they were never beaten by a Baylor or McCallie kid. They obviously felt Pride in getting to compete and win against wrestlers not in their division.

That's a good point. However, I'd wager that those Bear wrestlers might just feel a little pride themselves. Have you ever seen the stats that Bradley has put together the last twenty or so years? Love it or hate it, no team in any sport in Tennessee history can claim nineteen State Championships, not to mention being State Runner-up seven or eight times! They have tested themselves in the Va. Duals 3 or 4 times, and I think have placed every time. They've also sent young men to wrestle at schools such as Duke, Princeton, Columbia, Nebraska, West Va.,etc. They're obviously doing something right with regard to practice, technique, scheduling or whatever!

Coaches all have the right to wrestle who they want. That being said Steve Henry is my Hero! He has taken on the best in the area for as long as i can remember an had his share of the wins. I have often heard some of his former wrestlers brag that they were never beaten by a Baylor or McCallie kid. They obviously felt Pride in getting to compete and win against wrestlers not in their division.

All those Bears can say they never got beat by a Baylor or McCallie kid.

Seriously though, I agree with Raider76, the coach has the prerogative to put or not put a team on their schedule.

Just about every coach wants their athletes to compete against the best teams to bring the best out of themselves and if given the opportunity, they'll schedule any team... Except the coach mentioned in the link I suppose...

I wonder how many of these teams who claim to want to mix it up with the Bears have ever asked to attend the Bradley tournament ?

Wow...Here we go again! Obviously evey wrestling fan would love to see this match-up of these "unknown" teams. Lets just go ahead and be frank, we are talking about Bradley and Baylor.

I have mixed feelings on the topic. The fan in me says, "lets see it!". It would be a great battle of two storied teams. The fan turn out would more than likely be haulted by a fire code.

When it comes down to it thought, people can complain, rant, cry all they want, but its not up to them and I'm sure the Man with the magic scheduling stick up at Bradley doesn't care what they say. Year in and year out we go through this. There are a few questions that need to be asked in this situation. ( If anyone can answer please do)

1) How long has it been since Coach Morgan called up to Bradley High and asked to schedule? ( Is there any effort to schedule on either side? )

2) By wrestling this match, will it have the slightest affect on what happens in Feb.?

Obviously wrestling good competition makes you better, but in my opinion they will both either win or lose their state tiltles with or without the match. The fact of the matter is, THEY DO NOT HAVE TO WRESTLE EACH OTHER, so if one, or both sides don't want to, they won't. We can complain all we want and bash and point fingers, write letters to the press, but I don't coach Bradley, and I don't coach Baylor so I dont have a dang say so in the matter.

Bradley Central's Bears climbed to No. 1 this week in the 18th Tennessee High School Wrestling Poll.

The poll is primarily a measure of dual-meet strength with some consideration to individual tournament strength.

Votes are cast by a state-wide panel of high school wrestling coaches and are based on a maximum power ranking of 100 percent.

STATE POLL:

RANK SCHOOL POWER RANKING LAST YEAR

1 BRAD. CENTRAL 96 2

2 FATHER RYAN 90 3

3 CBHS 85 4

4 BAYLOR 75 1

5 MCCALLIE 67 5

6 SCIENCE HILL 54 7

7 CLEVELAND 53 6

8 RAVENWOOD 34 12

9 HIXSON 23 --

10 MBA 22 9

11 BRENTWOOD 10 --

12 CLARKSVILLE 7 10

Others receiving votes: BLACKMAN, COLLIERVILLE, COOKEVILLE, INDEPENDANCE, MT. JULIET, OOLTEWAH, SEYMOUR, SODDY DAISY, TULLAHOMA, WALKER VALLEY

LOL......and the Bears did it their way!!

Bradley Central's Bears climbed to No. 1 this week in the 18th Tennessee High School Wrestling Poll.

The poll is primarily a measure of dual-meet strength with some consideration to individual tournament strength.

Votes are cast by a state-wide panel of high school wrestling coaches and are based on a maximum power ranking of 100 percent.

STATE POLL:

RANK SCHOOL POWER RANKING LAST YEAR

1 BRAD. CENTRAL 96 2

2 FATHER RYAN 90 3

3 CBHS 85 4

4 BAYLOR 75 1

5 MCCALLIE 67 5

6 SCIENCE HILL 54 7

7 CLEVELAND 53 6

8 RAVENWOOD 34 12

9 HIXSON 23 --

10 MBA 22 9

11 BRENTWOOD 10 --

12 CLARKSVILLE 7 10

Others receiving votes: BLACKMAN, COLLIERVILLE, COOKEVILLE, INDEPENDANCE, MT. JULIET, OOLTEWAH, SEYMOUR, SODDY DAISY, TULLAHOMA, WALKER VALLEY

LOL......and the Bears did it their way!!

Wow...Here we go again! Obviously every wrestling fan would love to see this match-up of these "unknown" teams. Lets just go ahead and be frank, we are talking about Bradley and Baylor................

....................................................................................................................................

We can complain all we want and bash and point fingers, write letters to the press, but I don't coach Bradley, and I don't coach Baylor so I dont have a dang say so in the matter.

Well, after the events of this past weekend, and following Ryan's winning the D-II state championship last year after tying for it with Baylor the year before, maybe we should be talking about Bradley and Ryan instead. I wonder if the coaches at these two schools would be willing to wrestle each other. Seems to me that this match would not be subject to "they are stealing ( a/k/a recruiting ) our kids" objection. I don't think Ryan "recruits" the Bradley area, do they? Right now, everyone might rather love to see a match-up of these two teams.