Gallatin vs Canton McKinley Ohio opening game 2010

GWAVE1

Great info and some good opinions.

I personally care only about beating Canton McKinley next year. I know Gallatin is carrying the banner for all of Tenneessee just like Riverdale and MBA did. Speculation on who is tougher and who plays who will always continue but if the Wave wins or loses, it is just going to be a very rememberable game for me bar none.

Still think Ohio High School football is way over rated!Top teams from each state in this country could compete with each and every state. These teams up here are no where compared to the Moeller teams of the 80's. You have growth here in Ohio since then and some area's are watered down from where it once was. Some of the best players come from Ohio around the country but I have seen much better teams in the south! This is my humble opinion of course! Best wishes to Gallatin!

Still think Ohio High School football is way over rated!Top teams from each state in this country could compete with each and every state. These teams up here are no where compared to the Moeller teams of the 80's. You have growth here in Ohio since then and some area's are watered down from where it once was. Some of the best players come from Ohio around the country but I have seen much better teams in the south! This is my humble opinion of course! Best wishes to Gallatin!

You're right, for the most part, top teams from each state can compete with other states' top teams. It's the depth of good teams that separates some states from others, and in that regard, Ohio is far from overrated. I've seen the playoffs/championships the last 5 years in TN. Not sure what you mean by areas being "watered down". The Moeller teams of the 80's were a "perfect storm" once in a generation program. Only one other program in the country can equal what they did....Concord DeLaSalle, California. There are a few teams in Cincy St. X, Colerain, Ignatius and Glenville that are very close in talent with those teams year in, year out, but have not been able to dominate like Moeller did....because of the quality/depth of competition. When Moeller was dominating, the playoffs had a fraction ofthe participants it has now. They started out with only 4 teams per classification, then grew to 8 in 1980. There were a lot of great teams that didn't even get the chance to play for a title back then. There are now 32 per division. Big difference in the road to the title. I have also seen some better teams in the south one year or another, but look at how badly some of these southern teams had dominated their home states that year (Hoover, Prattville, E. St. Louis, Independence, NC, Gateway Pa, Byrnes SC, Lakeland Fla, Don Bosco Prep NJ) and played in the Herbie and either lost, or escaped a nailbiter from Ohio teams who didn't dominate in Ohio that year. With all due respect to your opinion, that in itself tells me Ohio is far from overrated. With that being said, I also wish nothing but a great experience for the young men and their fans from Gallatin.

You're right, for the most part, top teams from each state can compete with other states' top teams. It's the depth of good teams that separates some states from others, and in that regard, Ohio is far from overrated. I've seen the playoffs/championships the last 5 years in TN. Not sure what you mean by areas being "watered down". The Moeller teams of the 80's were a "perfect storm" once in a generation program. Only one other program in the country can equal what they did....Concord DeLaSalle, California. There are a few teams in Cincy St. X, Colerain, Ignatius and Glenville that are very close in talent with those teams year in, year out, but have not been able to dominate like Moeller did....because of the quality/depth of competition. When Moeller was dominating, the playoffs had a fraction ofthe participants it has now. They started out with only 4 teams per classification, then grew to 8 in 1980. There were a lot of great teams that didn't even get the chance to play for a title back then. There are now 32 per division. Big difference in the road to the title. I have also seen some better teams in the south one year or another, but look at how badly some of these southern teams had dominated their home states that year (Hoover, Prattville, E. St. Louis, Independence, NC, Gateway Pa, Byrnes SC, Lakeland Fla, Don Bosco Prep NJ) and played in the Herbie and either lost, or escaped a nailbiter from Ohio teams who didn't dominate in Ohio that year. With all due respect to your opinion, that in itself tells me Ohio is far from overrated. With that being said, I also wish nothing but a great experience for the young men and their fans from Gallatin.

Luckily I think the experience and talent level will be about equal when these two teams play each other. Granted they have a very good QB returning but Gallatin is going to have a very deep and talented line which should really help our young Qb. The Wave also returns several on the defensive side. The kicking game will be a question mark but they should be solid in the return unit. Canton should have an advantage just by the location of the game but hopefully Gallatin will make a good showing. I have been watching some of the CSS highschool replays from around the south and it would appear to me that Tenneessee would be very comparable. What do some of the Ohio/Tenneessee people think?

I think Gallatin might have an edge in returning experience overall, as McKinley loses their rb, top two wr's, and nine of the top ten tacklers this year on defense. The home field advantage in my opinion is only good for about a fg, as it will be both teams' first game, and kids forget all about the field they're on after the first couple of series. Gallatin will have an advantage in organized practice/scrimmage time, as there is no spring ball in Ohio, and only 2 scrimmages plus a jamboree, which will be the first year for jamborees in Ohio. McKinley has been inconsistent against good teams in Ohio, again, four coaches in twelve years doesn't help things. Part of that is the enormous pressure put on a coach at the program. Losing is not tolerated for long, and fifty-two losses in the last decade is not good enough at McKinley. It's kind of unfair, but it's the way it is. I really think this game is a toss up. I think TN football compares favorably with other southern states, as witnessed by MBA and BA's performances/willingness to play other state powers. Problem is, outside of them, and some border matchups, TN teams rarely go outside the state and play other state powers, so it's hard to judge the state as a whole when there is such a small body of work to go by.

I think Gallatin might have an edge in returning experience overall, as McKinley loses their rb, top two wr's, and nine of the top ten tacklers this year on defense. The home field advantage in my opinion is only good for about a fg, as it will be both teams' first game, and kids forget all about the field they're on after the first couple of series. Gallatin will have an advantage in organized practice/scrimmage time, as there is no spring ball in Ohio, and only 2 scrimmages plus a jamboree, which will be the first year for jamborees in Ohio. McKinley has been inconsistent against good teams in Ohio, again, four coaches in twelve years doesn't help things. Part of that is the enormous pressure put on a coach at the program. Losing is not tolerated for long, and fifty-two losses in the last decade is not good enough at McKinley. It's kind of unfair, but it's the way it is. I really think this game is a toss up. I think TN football compares favorably with other southern states, as witnessed by MBA and BA's performances/willingness to play other state powers. Problem is, outside of them, and some border matchups, TN teams rarely go outside the state and play other state powers, so it's hard to judge the state as a whole when there is such a small body of work to go by.

I agree with that. I looked up a few years ago the past ten years just to see how Tenn teams did against out of state competition and I was surprised to find that Tenn teams had a winning record in those matchups. But like you said it all depends on who is playing who.

I really hope Gallatin does have an advantage in the scrimmages and practice time. However that may be offset with the distance and the artificial playing surface. With the hype that this game is getting around town there is going to be some added pressure on the team I am sure. Hopefully they can have a good time with the NFL Hall and the local sites and still concentrate on the game. Do you or anyone know how the Canton McKinley freshman squad did? Or the JV? I haven't been to the Yappi sports site or any other Ohio site to see what if anything is being said. (might be too early)

Gallatin will love going up to Canton to play some high school football. I played 3 years at Malone University, a NAIA school in Canton and the Hall of Fame Stadium was our home field. He is a great place to play, no where eles like it especially for High School football. Canton McKinley is a power house up there that will feature tons of talented players, and they usually do a good job filling that huge stadium for there games. It will be a experience those kids will not soon forget, but they better come ready to play because McKinley will be tougher than most teams in Tennessee. Good luck from a Clinton High fan.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you or anyone know how the Canton McKinley freshman squad did? Or the JV? I haven't been to the Yappi sports site or any other Ohio site to see what if anything is being said. (might be too early)

Someone posted on jjhuddle that the freshman class hasn't lost a game since the 4th grade, but then the next post stated that they lost to their rival Massillon this past year, so I would question the first poster's claim. Haven't found anything on the jv's record anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Not real sure how this one will play out. Even with Gallatin's big OLine, I'm worried about the quarterback position. Smith isn't big enough to take the hits that Matthews took last year. Losing Perry will hurt alot too. I'm not real sure what to expect out of any of the skill positions, really. I do remember seeing a couple freshmen that were dominant against Blackman, but I don't know who they were. All this being said, Gallatin usually does okay going to unfamiliar territory carrying alot of question marks. I just hope we throw the ball more than 5 times a game, although I suspect we won't. Running the ball against a bunch of midwest cornfed kids will be next to impossible.

• 3 weeks later...

I think you all that feel Ohio’s Football is overrated because Riverdale and MBA got some wins up there, you’re delusional. Simply put, if the top ten team in Tennessee played the top 10 Teams in Ohio, Ohio would win 8 of 10. That is not only true with Tennessee but about 40 out of the 50 states. There are teams up there that (NO!!) team in TN could touch. Cleveland Glenville, Cleveland St. Ignatius, Youngstown Mooney, Youngstown Ursuline, Steubenville, Cincinnati St. Xavier, Cincinnati, Elder, Louisville.

I’m from and played football in Ohio. I have lived in TN now for 11 years and no question TN has great football programs and if I’m honest with myself I know that Ohio Football is not what it use to be, however the talent up there is still top 5 or 6 in the nation, at a minimum.

That Moeller team MBA beat was a young but very good team and that was a nice win for MBA but when Riverdale went up and played Worthington, Riverdale was one of the best team Tennessee has ever had and they played a good Ohio team, that is not even considered great in their conference, let alone, one of Ohio’s best programs. Riverdale should have and did, beat that team soundly.

Gallatin will be playing one of Ohio’s greatest programs ever; they have been up and down for the last 20 or so years. I don’t know what Gallatin will be running into up there but from what I hear from a few of my friends still up there, McKinley will be very solid this year. Their schedule is stacked and I think Gallatin will have their hands full.

Good luck to my friends in Gallatin and have fun at one of the greatest HS football stadiums in all the land. I’m sure when the game gets closer we will be make some more posts.

I think you all that feel Ohio’s Football is overrated because Riverdale and MBA got some wins up there, you’re delusional. Simply put, if the top ten team in Tennessee played the top 10 Teams in Ohio, Ohio would win 8 of 10. That is not only true with Tennessee but about 40 out of the 50 states. There are teams up there that (NO!!) team in TN could touch. Cleveland Glenville, Cleveland St. Ignatius, Youngstown Mooney, Youngstown Ursuline, Steubenville, Cincinnati St. Xavier, Cincinnati, Elder, Louisville.

I’m from and played football in Ohio. I have lived in TN now for 11 years and no question TN has great football programs and if I’m honest with myself I know that Ohio Football is not what it use to be, however the talent up there is still top 5 or 6 in the nation, at a minimum.

That Moeller team MBA beat was a young but very good team and that was a nice win for MBA but when Riverdale went up and played Worthington, Riverdale was one of the best team Tennessee has ever had and they played a good Ohio team, that is not even considered great in their conference, let alone, one of Ohio’s best programs. Riverdale should have and did, beat that team soundly.

Gallatin will be playing one of Ohio’s greatest programs ever; they have been up and down for the last 20 or so years. I don’t know what Gallatin will be running into up there but from what I hear from a few of my friends still up there, McKinley will be very solid this year. Their schedule is stacked and I think Gallatin will have their hands full.

Good luck to my friends in Gallatin and have fun at one of the greatest HS football stadiums in all the land. I’m sure when the game gets closer we will be make some more posts.

I am not going to debate the Ohio/Tennessee top teams issue. That is all speculation and cannot be proven. I do know that in recent matchups no matter the quality of the respective teams, Tennessee has faired very well. Still, this is one more matchup that could go either way with all of the unknowns.

I know I am looking forward to this game and looking forward to the atmosphere that will surround the game. Gallatin should be very good but anything can happen in the first game of the season. McKinley returns a very good QB but most of the skill players were lost to graduation.