Time for a change: TSSAA

It is obvious that the TSSAA does not listen to the MAJORITY of coaches. The current TSSAA Football divisions and playoff system is proof. Why don't they listen? From talking to several coaches at the Big East Clinic yesterday, its obvious that the coaches are not happy with the TSSAA.

A question or two that came up, which I had no answer for were: who does the TSSAA answer to? How are the "leaders" of this organization chosen? How are leaders removed/changed? Are there term limits for these leaders? Are all regional "Reps" really representing the interests of their region or are they representing their individual school school or school systems interests which they are employed?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me clarify: some coaches had some good things to say about some of the leaders involved in the TSSAA, yet they still want to know how a change in policy, for example the current playoof system, can be made and how their voices can be heard.

From listening, thats what they/we want is for someone who will really listen to our ideas and concerns.

By the way, rumor has it that a change will be made to the playoff system next year. The change centers around what teams make the playoffs.

All questions that Gallatin asked a few years ago when the "illegal player" was approved by the TSSAA not once but twice and Gallatin was kept out of the playoffs. The only answer I can give you is take them to court. It is a good ole boy network. Ronnie Carter is at fault here. Nobody wanted this playoff system and it was voted down repeatedly in different forms. But he wanted it and finally got enough votes to put this system in. Noone in the country uses this type of system. It is similar to the Virginia system (I have been told that it has changed but not sure) but in whole it has different aspects.

Face it the TSSAA is driven by money. In reality this state is way too small to have over 4 classes and still have legit competition. One good way to change one of the problems is destroy the mythical east, middle and west barriers of the river and Cumberland plateau. Traditional rivals can be kept and closer geographical schools can be put in the same regions/districts. Most of these schools play each other anyway. Granted there will be some schools that have to travel more but that is unavoidable.

Getting back to your point, there should be term limits on the board members.

I think everyone knows this new system was a joke in it's first year. Most everyone traveled more especially in the playoffs. I mean 3 5A and 4 6A schools in one conference...ludicris. The playoffs were a joke this past season. The way it was was just fine. Just eliminate lesser classification schools from playing up and disrupting the equalibrum and guaranteeing weak regions. I guarantee the SS spent more money than was projected to be made with this new system. I think their hallowed time should be spent on controlling corrupt officiating. Oh, but that would be real work. No, let's concentrate on what we can have an affect on. BS. We have a system that relies on the honor code. What a joke. I guess that is not the TSSAA's problem...it is societies.

There is an old Mafia saying that applys equally here, "Follow the MONEY!"! dry.gif

Having said that I want to know how to FIRE the T$$AA? Starting over from scratch would not be that hard and now we know what and who to avoid this time.

Along these lines just HOW MUCH do the 'officials' in the T$$AA make each year? No I am not talking about referees, I am talking about the suits who do nothing else but see about the welfare of the T$$AA.

I think everyone knows this new system was a joke in it's first year. Most everyone traveled more especially in the playoffs. I mean 3 5A and 4 6A schools in one conference...ludicris. The playoffs were a joke this past season. The way it was was just fine. Just eliminate lesser classification schools from playing up and disrupting the equalibrum and guaranteeing weak regions. I guarantee the SS spent more money than was projected to be made with this new system. I think their hallowed time should be spent on controlling corrupt officiating. Oh, but that would be real work. No, let's concentrate on what we can have an affect on. BS. We have a system that relies on the honor code. What a joke. I guess that is not the TSSAA's problem...it is societies.

I didn't like the old system. However, if the regular season districts were maintained through the playoffs and there were only 3 public state championships in football, there would be two VERY SIMPLE options to employ to select the playoff teams:

1) Top 2 teams in each district automatically qualify for playoffs. No wild card selections.

2) 16 district champions automatically qualify for playoffs. Top 16 regular season records of the teams remaining fill the wild card spots.

Of course, this won't ever happen. However, I believe this would be the very best way to do this.

Lot of upset coaches..TSSAA needs to get this right or there might be a new organization on the horizon...could this truly happen :ph34r:

:bored: Not for public schools; state law would have to change for that to happen. Private schools is a different matter they could pull out and start their on governing body. :huh:

Then we change the law, or the legislators for that matter. I am still convinced that NO candidate with the word 'incumbant' is going to get my vote for the next couple of years. To me politicians are like underware and needs to be changed often!

Lot of upset coaches..TSSAA needs to get this right or there might be a new organization on the horizon...could this truly happen :)

:thumb: Not for public schools; state law would have to change for that to happen. Private schools is a different matter they could pull out and start their on governing body. :thumb:

Then we change the law, or the legislators for that matter. I am still convinced that NO candidate with the word 'incumbant' is going to get my vote for the next couple of years. To me politicians are like underware and needs to be changed often!

Time to quit being politically correct and get someting done or do the right thing :thumb:

TSSAA need some changes badly :)

Lots of headaches in the playoff system could have been prevented with one simple change, eliminate the "no first round matchups of district opponents". That caused lots of teams to be moved up or down too far, for their regular season performances.

Indian....

for the 1st time ever...I agree with you on this one on the "first round matches."