Stacy Carter new Science Hill Football Coach

NETFan

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Stacy Carter has problems bringing the 'Toppers up to speed it won't be his fault. The current "rumor" that the combined staff of Science Hill teacher/coaches have resigned their coaching positions is proof that they are attempting to undermine AD Turners decision to hire Carter. This attempted coup d'e tat is par for the course for JC. Everyone knows the best "homecooking" in the area comes from Science Hill. Not my opinion just fact. This latest move on the part of the current football staff only goes to show the ruthlessness of the mentality of failure this staff generates. And the community follows suite. They basically did the same thing to Scott Smith. True, Smiths antics on CoachT were a bit childish and his game to game coaching decisions were questionable at best but it is common knowledge that his athority was undermined. The one coach who I am disappointed in is Overbay. The man obviously has abilities and needs to be a crucial element in the resurection of the Hill. Instead, he has allowed himself to be manipulated by a staff that obviously does not have the players best interest at heart. Hilrary Clinton was volcanic after losing the nomination to Obama but she didn't go home crying. Instead, she bolstered the party and took her place in antiquity. She may be just as ruthless but she did not attempt to destroy the large picture. Stacy Carter has his work cut out for him already at the Hill. If you are a 'Topper parent reading this you should already be furious. The question you should ask yourself is who do you want guiding you young men? Quitters or go-getters. With Science Hill's current and past donimance in all sports except football it is sad that Carter must not only make men out of his players but as well must do so with his coaches. Parents, I would venture to say that your word on this issue could be crucial.

If Stacy Carter has problems bringing the 'Toppers up to speed it won't be his fault. The current "rumor" that the combined staff of Science Hill teacher/coaches have resigned their coaching positions is proof that they are attempting to undermine AD Turners decision to hire Carter. This attempted coup d'e tat is par for the course for JC. Everyone knows the best "homecooking" in the area comes from Science Hill. Not my opinion just fact. This latest move on the part of the current football staff only goes to show the ruthlessness of the mentality of failure this staff generates. And the community follows suite. They basically did the same thing to Scott Smith. True, Smiths antics on CoachT were a bit childish and his game to game coaching decisions were questionable at best but it is common knowledge that his athority was undermined. The one coach who I am disappointed in is Overbay. The man obviously has abilities and needs to be a crucial element in the resurection of the Hill. Instead, he has allowed himself to be manipulated by a staff that obviously does not have the players best interest at heart. Hilrary Clinton was volcanic after losing the nomination to Obama but she didn't go home crying. Instead, she bolstered the party and took her place in antiquity. She may be just as ruthless but she did not attempt to destroy the large picture. Stacy Carter has his work cut out for him already at the Hill. If you are a 'Topper parent reading this you should already be furious. The question you should ask yourself is who do you want guiding you young men? Quitters or go-getters. With Science Hill's current and past donimance in all sports except football it is sad that Carter must not only make men out of his players but as well must do so with his coaches. Parents, I would venture to say that your word on this issue could be crucial.

I don't know about the other coaches, which if it were true I will agree with you, but I don't see that as the issue with Overbay. It isn't about him being manipulated by his staff, it's the fact that the JC paper and the Johnson City AD basically said "it ain't happening overbay and here is why" in an article a few weeks ago. The AD could have lied and said "we are very happy to have coach overbay as a candidate because..." instead of giving all the reasons why he would be a bad hire. That should not have been placed in the public eye for them to see. It was a slap in the face for his professional career from the people who he works for. And secondly, you are going off on a tangent suspecting all of this being true and telling "topper parents" how they should feel. Nothing is known to be true or not yet. Now, after the dust settles and we see whats up, then by all means say what you think, but don't be branding everyone before we know exactly what is up yet.

First of all there is NO big manipulation or rebellion going on from the assistant coaches at Science Hill. Overbay feels wronged by some goings on by the powers that be. He's a good man and hopefully will rise above what has happened to continue doing the fine job he has done in the past.

Carter is at Science Hill for the challenge of coaching at the highest level in high school football. At a very promising program that has a strong chance at great success. Declining numbers of enrollment and the threat of Kingsport annexing more of Colonial Heights were factors in leaving. Money was NOT a major factor in coming. Although I'm sure the extra money is nice.

Here's my bullet points, from a fan of NET Footbal and HS Football in general. I think I will be proved correct in time:

#1. Carter would have had a tough road next year and in seasons soon approaching, whether he stayed at South or not. He has to pretty much build from scratch at the Hill. Southers, and especially the parents of the players that are still there, like it or not South has seen the best classes with the past 4-5 that it may ever see. The last two were the tops, period. South will have a 'good' year in 2010 as I feel the rest of the area for the most part will drop off in talent as well. It's gonna be a downhill slide at South though, starting now. Carter knew it and so do the coaches that are left. Comp, sorry partner, you are wrong on this one and maybe a little to far removed from the program now to see it. I have my contacts. :roflol: Sorry, but thats the honest truth. However, the South squad will not curl up and fold. They will again outwork everyone else and play with heart. There will be a few "stars" still left as well, like Heath Haden.

#2. The talent at South has been very, very good. Whoever said Carter took "average" talent and won or whatever, is clueless. These classes, especially the last class (graduating class of 2010) have been extremely good to dominant in various sport since they were in elementary school. Even the South basketball team with this '10 class won titles as freshman and jv. (Varsity now is suspect) As point #1 said, the talent at South will decline sharply and will make it seem as if they dropped off simply because Carter left. It was going to drop off anyway. He is a good coach, a great man, but he was blessed with talent. I think if you had switched Carter and R Nelson 4-5 years ago, we'd be talking the same stuff as Nelson was leaving for the HC job at the Hill.

#3. I have to believe Carter has college coaching aspirations, because people who know about him know he is married well and $ is not the issue. This leads me to point #4.

#4. ETSU football is dead. Don't see it coming back within the timeframe that Carter is coaching. I think he is too smart to even be thinking "I'm setting myself up for that job when it comes back". No way. He hopes to be coaching college ball somewhere else in the college ranks.

#5. I have a hard time feeling sorry for Overbay. He's been there how long? Ive never been impressed with his DC prowess, like I am with Coach Watson at DB. He's had an opportunity to make a dent. I bet his temper helped him with his decision to hang it up.

#6. I think the assistants who are hanging it up at the Hill may get to miss some good things and regret it later. IF, IF Carter can get the athletes walking the halls to come out and play, they could become a power in football too within a few years. But, these kids need to know, they are going to work very hard. I have never seen a South team in the last few years run into a team that was in better shape. We'll see if laziness wins out with Carter's no nonsense style. Hill parents you will be happy with the character Carter will instill in you young men.

#7. If the boys on the Hill come out to play, and the coaches stay or join Coach Carter, they'll love him. They will cherish their playing days once they are over. I hope athletes like Mitchell will stick it out. You'll be glad you did.

#8. Coach Haynie is a great choice at South. He is loved and respected by his players. A great deal of Coach Carter's success is due to Coach Haynie and I think Carter would agree. South has great assistants. They are in dire need of someone that can step in at OC though and run the O. This is where I agree with Comp. Carter needed a good OC. His play calling was pretty poor from my seat. He had a set in stone gameplan. I made the trip to Columbia and visited family in Franklin. If he had thrown, and thrown deep on 1st and 2nd down, the game would have been much better. He had the WRs and St. Clair could hit 'em. The ran dives and draws constantly and then threw on 3rd and long. Pretty easy to read right there. In case you are wondering, Waco, this is also Dobyns Bennett's weakness with Coach Clark. He needs someone to work with the play calling. Wagner maybe?

#9. Ralph Nelson has an open door at the Hill. Question is will he take it and can they pay him? The paper said Carter might be able to bring two. I think Haynie from South would have been choice number one if he brought his assistants from SSHS. I would think Hilton would be a good choice as well. Scott Nelson would be taking a step up to take and AC position at the Hill, leaving Central. I expect South will install Jordan at OC, unless he is lured to Central. Since Jordan helped Carter with playcalling before, I'm not sure this is a good move for the Southers.

#10. NET Football as a whole will be weaker and I don't see anyone making a deep playoff run. I feel the playoff teams from '09, Boone, TN High, South will all be weaker. Crockett is done. I don't see anything from the other Sullivans. I think D-B may be the only exception. Depends what they are working on, right now.

I honestly hope I am wrong on several of my points and I do not mean to be a pessimist, but these are my unattached, unbiased oppinions. Prove me wrong in 2010 and I will certainly admit it.

Here's my bullet points, from a fan of NET Footbal and HS Football in general. I think I will be proved correct in time:

#1. Carter would have had a tough road next year and in seasons soon approaching, whether he stayed at South or not. He has to pretty much build from scratch at the Hill. Southers, and especially the parents of the players that are still there, like it or not South has seen the best classes with the past 4-5 that it may ever see. The last two were the tops, period. South will have a 'good' year in 2010 as I feel the rest of the area for the most part will drop off in talent as well. It's gonna be a downhill slide at South though, starting now. Carter knew it and so do the coaches that are left. Comp, sorry partner, you are wrong on this one and maybe a little to far removed from the program now to see it. I have my contacts. :roflol: Sorry, but thats the honest truth. However, the South squad will not curl up and fold. They will again outwork everyone else and play with heart. There will be a few "stars" still left as well, like Heath Haden.

#2. The talent at South has been very, very good. Whoever said Carter took "average" talent and won or whatever, is clueless. These classes, especially the last class (graduating class of 2010) have been extremely good to dominant in various sport since they were in elementary school. Even the South basketball team with this '10 class won titles as freshman and jv. (Varsity now is suspect) As point #1 said, the talent at South will decline sharply and will make it seem as if they dropped off simply because Carter left. It was going to drop off anyway. He is a good coach, a great man, but he was blessed with talent. I think if you had switched Carter and R Nelson 4-5 years ago, we'd be talking the same stuff as Nelson was leaving for the HC job at the Hill.

#3. I have to believe Carter has college coaching aspirations, because people who know about him know he is married well and $ is not the issue. This leads me to point #4.

#4. ETSU football is dead. Don't see it coming back within the timeframe that Carter is coaching. I think he is too smart to even be thinking "I'm setting myself up for that job when it comes back". No way. He hopes to be coaching college ball somewhere else in the college ranks.

#5. I have a hard time feeling sorry for Overbay. He's been there how long? Ive never been impressed with his DC prowess, like I am with Coach Watson at DB. He's had an opportunity to make a dent. I bet his temper helped him with his decision to hang it up.

#6. I think the assistants who are hanging it up at the Hill may get to miss some good things and regret it later. IF, IF Carter can get the athletes walking the halls to come out and play, they could become a power in football too within a few years. But, these kids need to know, they are going to work very hard. I have never seen a South team in the last few years run into a team that was in better shape. We'll see if laziness wins out with Carter's no nonsense style. Hill parents you will be happy with the character Carter will instill in you young men.

#7. If the boys on the Hill come out to play, and the coaches stay or join Coach Carter, they'll love him. They will cherish their playing days once they are over. I hope athletes like Mitchell will stick it out. You'll be glad you did.

#8. Coach Haynie is a great choice at South. He is loved and respected by his players. A great deal of Coach Carter's success is due to Coach Haynie and I think Carter would agree. South has great assistants. They are in dire need of someone that can step in at OC though and run the O. This is where I agree with Comp. Carter needed a good OC. His play calling was pretty poor from my seat. He had a set in stone gameplan. I made the trip to Columbia and visited family in Franklin. If he had thrown, and thrown deep on 1st and 2nd down, the game would have been much better. He had the WRs and St. Clair could hit 'em. The ran dives and draws constantly and then threw on 3rd and long. Pretty easy to read right there. In case you are wondering, Waco, this is also Dobyns Bennett's weakness with Coach Clark. He needs someone to work with the play calling. Wagner maybe?

#9. Ralph Nelson has an open door at the Hill. Question is will he take it and can they pay him? The paper said Carter might be able to bring two. I think Haynie from South would have been choice number one if he brought his assistants from SSHS. I would think Hilton would be a good choice as well. Scott Nelson would be taking a step up to take and AC position at the Hill, leaving Central. I expect South will install Jordan at OC, unless he is lured to Central. Since Jordan helped Carter with playcalling before, I'm not sure this is a good move for the Southers.

#10. NET Football as a whole will be weaker and I don't see anyone making a deep playoff run. I feel the playoff teams from '09, Boone, TN High, South will all be weaker. Crockett is done. I don't see anything from the other Sullivans. I think D-B may be the only exception. Depends what they are working on, right now.

I honestly hope I am wrong on several of my points and I do not mean to be a pessimist, but these are my unattached, unbiased oppinions. Prove me wrong in 2010 and I will certainly admit it.

Pudding, it pains me to say it, but you my friend, are 100% correct.

#1. Carter would have had a tough road next year and in seasons soon approaching, whether he stayed at South or not. He has to pretty much build from scratch at the Hill. Southers, and especially the parents of the players that are still there, like it or not South has seen the best classes with the past 4-5 that it may ever see. The last two were the tops, period. South will have a 'good' year in 2010 as I feel the rest of the area for the most part will drop off in talent as well. It's gonna be a downhill slide at South though, starting now. Carter knew it and so do the coaches that are left. Comp, sorry partner, you are wrong on this one and maybe a little to far removed from the program now to see it. I have my contacts. ;) Sorry, but thats the honest truth. However, the South squad will not curl up and fold. They will again outwork everyone else and play with heart. There will be a few "stars" still left as well, like Heath Haden.

Excellent post, Puddin. ETSU will not have a football team until after the current prez leaves. A friend of mine on the committee says such. Carter is looking toward a college position and rightly so. The man has talent. Ralph and Scott will help tremendously. The Sullivans are all weak except South which will be strong for another year. Won't get as deep into the playoffs though. #12 is outstanding in my book.

We need a Niswonger in JC...wait better yet we need a Niswonger in Gray so we can have a nice turf stadium.

Nah, then ya'll wouldn't have anywhere to graze your cattle in the off-season :lol:

Oh snap that was nice. I surrender to you barb, that was very nicely done :?:

With that kind of a set-up it was hard to resist :?: