Big 8 Region I AAA Conference Offseason

formerblazer

I can agree that it starts with the head man...but as far as that goes he can NOT do it all. The best programs have to have a guy who is surrounded by good coaches. He had a great start with Nelson and himself...but beyond that I have no idea who else is there to help him. Overbay is apparently going to Happy Valley...defensive coordinator needed. Scott Nelson might have just been stuck at a bad school with Central, I have no idea.

As for antics, granted, I can say that yes, every school has their problems. But you have no once seen an article about fans and kids going at one another from a Boone football team (at least in recent history). The fans in Gray are a lot more mellow than the ones in JC. You expect excellence...heck your pocket books seem to be trying to answer that. Again...did you ever just think that it ain't the coaches...it might just be the parents and the kids.

Good of you to join us Hill, you seem like a pretty cool JC person for us to jar back and forth with. Welcome welcome.

Overbay isn't going to Happy Valley :shock:

News to me, I think even on another thread that someone commented on it, and....from what is being rumored....he has been at least asked to take the Happy Valley job.

And to Comp....give me a bit to go through that there is a lot I see eye to eye with you with. But you have to admit that some of the JC shenanigans that have gone on are far worse than other places.

Look, if you had a couple of boys and a girl and they ran track, played basketball and baseball and they won and went deep in the playoffs every year but when your boys were on the football team they couldn't get a first down...and it went on for 15 years!? And you were used to winning since little league! Duh, I would be a bit upset also. And I am. South's basketball program is pitiful. The middle school regularly went/goes to state and wins regions and sends fabulous players to the high school. What happens? They slurp. I know how Science Hill Fathers feel. Yes, they are a rowdy bunch but they have concluded after a decade that they themselves could coach better than the coach. And will not shut up until someone with stones comes in and proves that he can turn the boat around. It is ALL about the coaches! Period! Always! Did George Quarles not prove that. Maryville does not have the most gifted athletes in the state. They are quality but then so is South and DB and Bristol. I guarantee you that when Stacy finds his groove that these same parents will be bringing fried chicken and watermelons after practice and on Sunday film days. These people are bitter. And rightfully so. But when the white knight comes ridding in on a wave of success then they will salute him and carry his weight. I will give you a few examples...Ashlon Adams, Issac Kinley, Aaron Trent, Jeff Green, and OMG...Solomon Duanna. Duanna had the potential to be a high level Division I RB but because of coaching (or the lack of) he was not even All NET material. I don't care what his accolades were he was nothing to be concerned about. What a tragedy! Because he had it all. He was a coaches dream. For coaches that are awake. So in my view, we all have athletes. Yes, some more than others. But it takes a great coach to find the gold. Don't kid yourselves people...the coach is everything...everything! And for those Science Hill parents...well I have witnessed their rath at a Science Hill scrimmage with MoEast in '07 and they were hot. And loud. And irreverant. And worse than that. But do things right and these people will be powerful for the coach and the program.

OR, Nothing changes at all, he suffers through a 6-4 season followed by a 5-5 season then a 4-6 season. He loses to DB another three years in a row, he leaves Science Hill and goes back to South because thats the only place that will have him. All the South fans will blame the whole thing on the people in Johnson City and everything will be back to normal. Hey, Im as right as anyone else throwing out these predictions. Take this into consideration. I don't know what went on behind closed doors at Science Hill but if thay had a chance to get Turner and chose Carter instead then something stinks in Johnson City. Not only is Turner twice the coach that Carter is, he's light years ahead of any coach in Upper East Tn. It couldn't be money because their going to spend $300,000. on a score board. Stacy Carter's record as well as his coaching against Dobyns Bennett would be reason enough for me not to hire him. That 2009 game with DB was one of the worst coaching jobs I've seen in years. He didn't have a clue.

Look, if you had a couple of boys and a girl and they ran track, played basketball and baseball and they won and went deep in the playoffs every year but when your boys were on the football team they couldn't get a first down...and it went on for 15 years!? And you were used to winning since little league! Duh, I would be a bit upset also. And I am. South's basketball program is pitiful. The middle school regularly went/goes to state and wins regions and sends fabulous players to the high school. What happens? They slurp. I know how Science Hill Fathers feel. Yes, they are a rowdy bunch but they have concluded after a decade that they themselves could coach better than the coach. And will not shut up until someone with stones comes in and proves that he can turn the boat around. It is ALL about the coaches! Period! Always! Did George Quarles not prove that. Maryville does not have the most gifted athletes in the state. They are quality but then so is South and DB and Bristol. I guarantee you that when Stacy finds his groove that these same parents will be bringing fried chicken and watermelons after practice and on Sunday film days. These people are bitter. And rightfully so. But when the white knight comes ridding in on a wave of success then they will salute him and carry his weight. I will give you a few examples...Ashlon Adams, Issac Kinley, Aaron Trent, Jeff Green, and OMG...Solomon Duanna. Duanna had the potential to be a high level Division I RB but because of coaching (or the lack of) he was not even All NET material. I don't care what his accolades were he was nothing to be concerned about. What a tragedy! Because he had it all. He was a coaches dream. For coaches that are awake. So in my view, we all have athletes. Yes, some more than others. But it takes a great coach to find the gold. Don't kid yourselves people...the coach is everything...everything! And for those Science Hill parents...well I have witnessed their rath at a Science Hill scrimmage with MoEast in '07 and they were hot. And loud. And irreverant. And worse than that. But do things right and these people will be powerful for the coach and the program.

OR, Nothing changes at all, he suffers through a 6-4 season followed by a 5-5 season then a 4-6 season. He loses to DB another three years in a row, he leaves Science Hill and goes back to South because thats the only place that will have him. All the South fans will blame the whole thing on the people in Johnson City and everything will be back to normal. Hey, Im as right as anyone else throwing out these predictions. Take this into consideration. I don't know what went on behind closed doors at Science Hill but if thay had a chance to get Turner and chose Carter instead then something stinks in Johnson City. Not only is Turner twice the coach that Carter is, he's light years ahead of any coach in Upper East Tn. It couldn't be money because their going to spend $300,000. on a score board. Stacy Carter's record as well as his coaching against Dobyns Bennett would be reason enough for me not to hire him. That 2009 game with DB was one of the worst coaching jobs I've seen in years. He didn't have a clue.

Unfortunetly, he would have a problem getting the job back since there is always the good chance Haynie does an even better job. Then Carter is going to either be hoping for a head coaching job or end up as an assistant. All is a gamble in JC.

Well, Jack is correct about one thing. The '09 DB/South game was a no show for Stacy. But on top of that you have to give credit to Clark for getting this questionable group of Indians ready for the game they hate most to lose. On the other hand motivating the Indians to play South is really a no brainer considering the love affair we have. But it also has to be said that CS had what...200 yds. rushing! Hello. Anyway, what I'm saying about the Island is it doesn't matter who the coach is...lose and you keep the crazy parents. Win...and...well...they've never won so I really don't know what will happen. And FB is right...most definately Stacy is in the hot seat.

Okay guys . . . Another coach from the SH staff is going to Happy Valley. (They (HV) will announce on May 12th) Overbay was never looking at the job. And just for the record . . . There is no greater drama with parents in SH sports than baseball. So you guys are drawing at straws. And to, EVERYTHING hits the JC Press that goes on at SH. :shock:

Okay guys . . . Another coach from the SH staff is going to Happy Valley. (They (HV) will announce on May 12th) Overbay was never looking at the job. And just for the record . . . There is no greater drama with parents in SH sports than baseball. So you guys are drawing at straws. And to, EVERYTHING hits the JC Press that goes on at SH. :shock:

Well you are right about JC and the press. Boone got some pretty good coverage this year, and it makes sense seeing as how successful the team was. Most years you don't have coverage like that, even if SH wasn't successful and boone was mediocre. Same story happens with DB and South, and that is to be expected, but some days it even seems like the timesnews doesn't have a clue what to report on. besides laughing at what hoople has to write, the timesnews really is a much more shallow paper than the press, but that is only if you get lucky enough to even read about your team in the press. tricitiessports really does give everyone about as fair a shake as you can get, with giving pregame and game coverage on all of the big schools in the area.

And poor 'ole Crockett is like the red headed step child of Washington county. Very little coverage what-so-ever. I remember a couple of years or so ago I think (time gets away from me). Crockett beats Greenville in football for the first time in like 22 years and there is a small article on the 3rd page of the Press and Science Hill gets beat and there is a full color photo on the front page talking about the defeat. Its NOT fair.

Yeah...I love the action shots on Tricitiessports.com. They're the best. :shock:

Well, a few South observations.

1. They are banning the flag. Never did really like the flag at ballgames, but hearing how it was handled, it looks better and better.

108319461313497.gif

2. If Carter had stuck it out, he could have been the first head coach of Kingsport Obama High School.

3. Predicting not much changes for South football. Poor planning, great execution, unimaginative play calling, same 11 kids playing both ways, failure to adapt -------> stinkin up the important games.

Angry-smiley-my-lovable-blob-1465655-75-68.gif

1. They are banning the flag. Never did really like the flag at ballgames, but hearing how it was handled, it looks better and better.

108319461313497.gif

2. If Carter had stuck it out, he could have been the first head coach of Kingsport Obama High School.

3. Predicting not much changes for South football. Poor planning, great execution, unimaginative play calling, same 11 kids playing both ways, failure to adapt -------> stinkin up the important games.

Well good. You won't be coming to the games this year then.

108319461313497.gif

1. I am not even going to touch the flag debate. That's all South's opinion on the subject, and that is good enough for me one way or another.

2. . . .

3. South has had success. I don't know if it is good that fans want more and that should drive the kids, or that you don't remember...6 years ago when winning 5 games would have been great.

Well good. You won't be coming to the games this year then.

Heck yeah I'll be there. Love Fri. Nights.

I try to get them 50 yd. reserve seats. My Conf. Flag shirt, a mouthfull of chew, a few PBRs in the truck. Be there or be square. At DB, SH, Boone and the 2nd round, I'll be the one yelling I told ya so.