AP Poll 1/25/2010

foxylady

Tennessee Girls Basketball Prep Poll

1/25/2010, 4:13 p.m. EST

The Associated Press

(AP) — The Associated Press' Top 10 teams in each of Tennessee's three Division I non-financial aid classifications and in the combined Division II financial aid classification as selected by Tennessee AP-member sportswriters and broadcasters. With first-place votes in parentheses, records through January 25, total points based on 10 points for a first-place vote through one point for a 10th-place vote:

Class AAA

Team...... #1 votes .. Record .. Pts .. Prv

1. Morristown West (14) 18-1 185 1

2. Mt. Juliet (2) 19-1 159 3

3. Memphis Central (3) 13-3 133 4

4. Riverdale 14-2 124 5

5. Walker Valley (1) 20-1 110 6

6. LaVergne 19-1 79 2

7. Millington 21-2 74 8

8. Clarksville 16-3 46 10

9. Blackman 15-3 45 9

10. Cocke County 17-4 34 7

Others receiving 12 or more points: Maryville 32. Lawrence County 30. Jackson Northside 18.

Class AA

1. Gibson County (18) 19-0 197 1

2. McMinn Central (1) 17-1 152 2

3. Elizabethton (1) 17-2 145 3

4. Obion County 18-3 119 4

5. Cannon County 18-1 98 7

6. Livingston Academy 17-5 62 5

7. South Greene 12-4 59 8

8. Westview 16-4 58 6

9. Fairley 17-3 43 10

10. Upperman 15-5 41 9

Others receiving 12 or more points: Macon County 31. Polk County 23. CPA 17. CAK 14.

Class A

.................... Record Pts Prv

1. Jackson County (9) 18-3 180 2

2. Middleton (8) 16-0 178 3

3. Gleason (2) 17-2 126 1

4. Forrest (1) 16-4 120 5

5. Lake County 21-3 118 7

6. Greenfield 17-3 110 4

7. Clarkrange 15-5 86 8

8. Cornersville 17-2 73 9

9. Tellico Plains 17-2 64 6

10. Pickett County 13-6 12 10

Others receiving 12 or more points:

Class II

Record Pts Prv

1. St. Benedict (13) 19-3 180 1

2. Ensworth (5) 14-3 171 2

3. Franklin Road Academy (1) 14-2 134 4

4. Briarcrest 15-5 130 3

5. Davidson Academy 14-1 115 5

6. Girls Prep 14-5 92 6

7. Ezell-Harding 16-4 71 9

8. Harding Academy 9-4 49 T7

9. Lausanne Collegiate 11-6 47 T7

10. Father Ryan 12-7 20 10

Others receiving 12 or more points: DCA 17.

All Associated Press members in Tennessee are eligible to participate in the high school basketball poll. Those who voted for this week's poll are: Chattanooga Times Free Press; The Leaf-Chronicle (Clarksville); Cleveland Daily Banner; The Daily Herald (Columbia); Cookeville Herald-Citizen; Elizabethton Star; The Greeneville Sun; The Jackson Sun; Johnson City Press; Kingsport Times-News; The Knoxville News Sentinel; Marshall County Tribune; The Commercial Appeal (Memphis); Citizen Tribune (Morristown); The Daily News Journal, Murfreesboro; The Tennessean (Nashville); The Newport Plain Talk; The Paris Post-Intelligencer; Union City Daily Messenger; WCMT, Martin.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Class AA

8. Westview 16-4 58 6

9. Fairley 17-3 43 10

10. Upperman 15-5 41 9

Others receiving 12 or more points: Macon County 31. Polk County 23. CPA 17. CAK 14.

Once again, GC didn't receive all first place votes. Hey, atleast the one person got smart and decided to give their first place vote to Gibson Co. instead of being a homer and giving it to the home team. LOL......vote for the home team guys!!!!!! In no way am I upset with this, I just find it quite funny as a team with 2 losses gets a first place vote over the defending state champs that went undefeated and are undefeated thus far this year, lol.

I'd be willing to bet that Obion Central AND Westview can/will knock off Elizabethton. Westview beat Elizabethton last year in the first round of the state tournaments and Westview has their whole team back this year, lol. There are very few AP voters that know what they're doing. I want to say good job to the AP guys that do know what's going on. For the ones that don't have a clue, GO FIND A CLUE!

Class II

Record Pts Prv

1. St. Benedict (13) 19-3 180 1

2. Ensworth (5) 14-3 171 2

3. Franklin Road Academy (1) 14-2 134 4

4. Briarcrest 15-5 130 3

5. Davidson Academy 14-1 115 5

6. Girls Prep 14-5 92 6

7. Ezell-Harding 16-4 71 9

8. Harding Academy 9-4 49 T7

9. Lausanne Collegiate 11-6 47 T7

10. Father Ryan 12-7 20 10

Others receiving 12 or more points: DCA 17.

So how many years does DII have to be broken into two classifications (A and AA) before they get seperate polls? Does it really matter how good Harding Academy is relative to Father Ryan? I would hate for the media to have to take the extra effort to seperate and rank another class ;) I guess all them sorry scholarship-givin' rich folk schools get one dadgum poll.

Class AA

8. Westview 16-4 58 6

9. Fairley 17-3 43 10

10. Upperman 15-5 41 9

Once again, GC didn't receive all first place votes. Hey, atleast the one person got smart and decided to give their first place vote to Gibson Co. instead of being a homer and giving it to the home team. LOL......vote for the home team guys!!!!!! In no way am I upset with this, I just find it quite funny as a team with 2 losses gets a first place vote over the defending state champs that went undefeated and are undefeated thus far this year, lol.

I'd be willing to bet that Obion Central AND Westview can/will knock off Elizabethton. Westview beat Elizabethton last year in the first round of the state tournaments and Westview has their whole team back this year, lol. There are very few AP voters that know what they're doing. I want to say good job to the AP guys that do know what's going on. For the ones that don't have a clue, GO FIND A CLUE!

Not sure about Elizabethton but McMinn Central is surely worthy of the attention. If I remember right they lost by 4 at AAA #11 Maryville, and that's it. This is after several good seniors graduated, and with a freshman as one of their best players.

If they picked the state winner based on this vote or even the 8 state tournament participants it would be something to get concerned about. There's a tournament for it, so this as was said is just for entertainment.

...I'd be willing to bet that Obion Central AND Westview can/will knock off Elizabethton. Westview beat Elizabethton last year in the first round of the state tournaments and Westview has their whole team back this year, lol.

I am an Elizabethton fan and I agree with you on one point. That is, GC deserves to be ranked No. 1 unanimously. In my opinion, they were clearly the class of the state tournament last year regardless of classification and apparently have picked up where they left off. As for the AP voting, it is what it is. I'm not sure why you keep obsessing when they don't get every single vote.

However, I'm not as confident in some of your other conclusions. It's true that Westview beat Elizabethton in the state tournament last year, but it was in no way a convincing victory (we lost by 2 on a last second shot). On the contrary, EHS should have won the game. Our Lady Cyclones had the lead late in the game and but for two late unforced errors and a very questionable charge call (that resulted in a bucket getting wiped off), we win. As a matter of fact, had we won the Westview game, I believe we could have beaten LA because we matched up better with their personnel than did Westview. I realize that Westview returned all their starters, but EHS returned 4 of 5 starters and 5 of 6 top players as well. Consequently, to imply that EHS would be easily dispatched by Westview or Obion Central is presumptuous. I hope we get the opportunity to play to see, but until it happens it's pure speculation. Elizabethton has two losses, but both came the first week of the season when the team was not playing very well. Furthermore, the losses were to Greeneville (currently in first place in 2-AA) and Morristown West (currently ranked #1 in AAA) which are quality teams. Although I believe GC is the clear cut #1, I think the remaining ranked teams are all quality teams that could probably beat any one of the others on a given night. The bottom line is anything can happen, so I suggest we let the season play out to see what happens...

Well, if you want to be a believer, Obion Central defeated Gibson Co. by 13 tonight AT Gibson Co. Now, do you believe how good Obion Co. is?

Never had any doubt that Obion is good just as I never had any doubt that GC and Westview are good as well. Anyone that knows AA realizes that these 3 teams in the same district no doubt makes it the toughest district in the state. I'm was just making the point that there are some other quality teams in the state that can play as well...

Well, if you want to be a believer, Obion Central defeated Gibson Co. by 13 tonight AT Gibson Co. Now, do you believe how good Obion Co. is?

Never had any doubt that Obion is good just as I never had any doubt that GC and Westview are good as well. Anyone that knows AA realizes that these 3 teams in the same district no doubt makes it the toughest district in the state. I'm was just making the point that there are some other quality teams in the state that can play as well...

Well Elizabethton has only played 1 quality opponent all year and they got beat by 30 so i'm not sure they deserve any consideration sparky. You need to get out of East Tn and go play someone and beat them and then you can talk about being a good team.

I would place District 7AAA up against this (and any other) district in the state. It's really a moot point though...

Now i want you to know that i'm not saying they aren't a good team because their record obviously lindicates that they are winning alot of games just that the level of competition isn't as strong as some of the others around the state. but having said that the coach and team can only play the schedule given to them and so far looks like they are doing a pretty danged good job of it. who will be their toughest opponent in the region? substate?