Why the problem at the DUALS?

PUMMELKING

I was not able to atend the duals and have heard alot of good things about them this past weekend. I followed the action on nwcaonline and I am curious about alot of recordings. Was there an extremely high amout of cautions and warnings for stalling. On line it sure seemed that way. I'd like to hear from those who were actually in attendance, thanks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was not able to atend the duals and have heard alot of good things about them this past weekend. I followed the action on nwcaonline and I am curious about alot of recordings. Was there an extremely high amout of cautions and warnings for stalling. On line it sure seemed that way. I'd like to hear from those who were actually in attendance, thanks.

It was so inconsistant, the it was rediculous. On Friday, nothing was being called. (which is better in my opinion, than calling too much) Then on Saturday, I guess the refs felt they needed to be noticed, and called the worst matches I have seen in a long time. It was almost like they know the favored wrestler in the match, and would call against the other one no matter what. And I'm not referring to what happened in our team's matches. It was all over the board on Saturday.

Just wish we could get our refs up to the level of the other states that I've seen. I understand missing a call here and there, but to consistantly make the worst calls, and determine a match is getting old. It's best to let the kid's determine the match, than to think you know what wrestler should win.

Was the cautions for jumping the whistle due to all the mats or the new starting procedures?

my opinion, still part of the new starting position. BUT, I found that the refs would allow the top man to get into position, and then waited WAY too long to blow the whistle. Sometimes it was 2 seconds, sometimes up to at least 5. The kids are ready to go, and again the refs were inconsistent.

I'll 2nd what 2blLeg said concerning false starts (not sure I observed an unusual amount of stalling calls). A good wrestling official is like a good waiter at a restaurant - takes care of things without being a bother with the best ones being almost invisible. I'm shocked at the amount of attention being paid to the starting procedure. Unless one wrestler is doing something to gain an advantage, then why all the nonsense? I saw officials attempting to freeze (delay the whistle for a couple of seconds after the wrestlers were properly set). I didn't recognize the officials so maybe there were trained by the famous Barney Fife official of middle TN who loves to draw attention to himself and away from the wrestlers.

My other officiating beef was calling stalemates too quickly on scrambles and short offense from neutral. That's an understandable call that can be attributed to an offical who is not familiar with higher levels of wrestling technique so he doesn't recognize a wrestler is on his way to a score, its just takes a little while to get there.

I'll 2nd what 2blLeg said concerning false starts (not sure I observed an unusual amount of stalling calls). A good wrestling official is like a good waiter at a restaurant - takes care of things without being a bother with the best ones being almost invisible. I'm shocked at the amount of attention being paid to the starting procedure. Unless one wrestler is doing something to gain an advantage, then why all the nonsense? I saw officials attempting to freeze (delay the whistle for a couple of seconds after the wrestlers were properly set). I didn't recognize the officials so maybe there were trained by the famous Barney Fife official of middle TN who loves to draw attention to himself and away from the wrestlers.

My other officiating beef was calling stalemates too quickly on scrambles and short offense from neutral. That's an understandable call that can be attributed to an offical who is not familiar with higher levels of wrestling technique so he doesn't recognize a wrestler is on his way to a score, its just takes a little while to get there.

Did you see the finals? It all of the sudden changed. And usually, went the wrong way. Saw it this way in the 3rd place finals, as well as the championships.

Agree on them not recognizing positions either. Saw it way too many times. And good god, how long does it take a ref to start counting back points. It's like "oh yeah, his back is exposed, let me get in position (10 seconds wasted) and oh yeah, I need to start counting."

If Tennessee wants to improve the sport, they need to start with the refs.

2bl - I myself don't make the coorelation of better officiating = better wrestling. From my experience, I'll place the better TN officials against officials I've seen all over the country. There are plenty of officials that could use some improvement everywhere. By its nature, officiating can feed big egos and we all have our opinions of which officials have too much desire to be seen and become part of the match. Since every association is usually begging for folks to officiate, I doubt they have the talent pool such that they are letting officals go either. Basically, we get what we get. Would you not agree that the majority of fans don't know really good officiating anyway?

2bl - I myself don't make the coorelation of better officiating = better wrestling. From my experience, I'll place the better TN officials against officials I've seen all over the country. There are plenty of officials that could use some improvement everywhere. By its nature, officiating can feed big egos and we all have our opinions of which officials have too much desire to be seen and become part of the match. Since every association is usually begging for folks to officiate, I doubt they have the talent pool such that they are letting officals go either. Basically, we get what we get. Would you not agree that the majority of fans don't know really good officiating anyway?

Oh absolutly! I'd say, one school in particular, has no clue. Because they call for stalling every minute, of every match.

And I agree, we have some good officials, just no where near enough. And my thought, is the bad ones become too much of an issue. Need to have a head official rating these guys, and letting them know after their matches what went right, and what they did wrong.

Oh absolutly! I'd say, one school in particular, has no clue. Because they call for stalling every minute, of every match.

And I agree, we have some good officials, just no where near enough. And my thought, is the bad ones become too much of an issue. Need to have a head official rating these guys, and letting them know after their matches what went right, and what they did wrong.

Don't be calling out Christian Brothers like that!

And I agree, there are quite a few good officials...mainly located in Chattanooga. What will it take to get some of the former collegiate wrestlers to put on the stripes for the good of the sport? The inconsistant starting position calls were especially irksome. Numerous times on many matches I remember thinking blow the wistle already, sheeesh. But overall, I'm glad to have them.

Don't be calling out Christian Brothers like that!

And I agree, there are quite a few good officials...mainly located in Chattanooga. What will it take to get some of the former collegiate wrestlers to put on the stripes for the good of the sport? The inconsistant starting position calls were especially irksome. Numerous times on many matches I remember thinking blow the wistle already, sheeesh. But overall, I'm glad to have them.

wasn't talking about that team.

And the bigger issue is, I think the refs fall right in line with them. Maybe because they are from the same area. I do know that it seems the louder this group yells, the more calls (that seem out of line) get called.

2bleg,

It seems to be the norm for you to come on here and b***h and moan about the refs all the time- no matter what tourney, dual match, etc. You habitually give the refs way too much credit by ranting about how they always seem to determine the outcome of a match. It's ridiculous! On another thread you insult Chris Agnew's dec over Johnson by calling it a track meet?! What was the point? CBHS bumped a stud to get a win and it didn't happen, ACTUALLY, I believe Agnew got a T2 in the third, while Johnson did not and that decided the match.

In fact, after looking at the live update site and tallying the stall warnings, the stall calls were even for both teams 4-4. Don't quote me on that though, but feel free to look it up yourself since you seem so hllbent on blaming the officials for every match. Don't worry about another team's fans yelling stalling when your fans do the same.

FYI, just because in the last 30 seconds of a match when a wrestler has been losing and they then decide to turn it up and actually try no set ups, but just charging and pushing out of bounds is not a reason to say they were screwed out of the match. That's why they wrestle 3 periods :lol:

ANYWAYS, what should have been said from the beginning, is congrats to both teams. Both wrestled hard and there were some good matches. Congrats to CBHS on making it to the finals for the first time, appears only more will come. Looking forward to the traditional with all 4 of the teams competing for the championship

OH, and congrats to BC in what turned out to be a competitive final.