Region 7A Tournament

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there. In a nutshell LC to quick and athletic for WC. WC was down by 4 I think at the half in large part because of home cooking...if not for that LC could have easily been up 12 to 15. I think the fouls were LC 10 and WC 2 at the half. WC played a zone and it no effect on LC....LC penetrated the zone with ease. With about 4 minutes left it was a 8 or 9 point game and you could see Greer knew this could be his last game in high school and he took over....Drive the length of the court and score at will...i guess he did this 3 or 4 times.....thy cut the led to 6 with under 2 minutes left mainly because LC would hit 1 FT and miss 1 FT...so basically WC was going 2 for 1 on about three straight possessions....Then Greer had a costly TO with about 1 minute left that pretty much sealed the game...that's when I left.

LC was less than impressive at times and at other times looked very good. Basically they were just to quick and athletic for WC to play with for a whole game. If the refs would have let them play this game would have been at least a 20 point win for LC. Having said that in my opinion LC simply didn't have an answer for Greer. Greer played to unselfish in my opinion. I believe Greer could have scored 40 on LC if he wanted to. WC is basically a 1 man team as far as consistency on the offensive end. My clock times and numbers may or may not be off a little but that is basically how I saw this game.

LC is very beatable in my opinion. The Tyler kid is a good PG and the Robertson kid is big and strong and not a bad ball player for single A. To be honest number 23 looks like he could be the best player on the LC team...I don't know his name and was told he is a freshman.....I don't think he filled the stat sheet but if he is indeed a freshman he has a chance to be really good by the time he graduates. LC is not a good shooting team and I predict that will be their downfall......but I need to remind myself that this is single A and that the margin for error for a team like LC is greater than most teams in single A. I have a sense that LC is better than the team I saw tonight....what I didn't like especially at this point in the season was some of the turnovers and I just don't think they shoot the ball that well as a team. The PG and number 23 I like.......number 23 would be my go to guy even if he really is a freshman. This kid needs to hit some skills camps and AAU and he will be really good.

I guess I should point out that is the only time I have seen LC so some of the things I said might be unfair. I would really like to see Whitby step down because he did not look like he is in good health at all. He actually looked like he might have a touch of parkinsons. His health is more important than basketball. I wish the man good luck and hope he has a long healthy life ahead of him but the grind of practicing and coaching 30 games a season might be to much......I don't think I saw him get animated and fired up the whole game. I t looked like it would be a task just to do something like that and we all know that is just part of coaching. Again good luck to coach Whitby and LC as their season continues.

Good job Lake County! Wished I could have made it to the game. Now let's unplug the tornado siren. Watch out UC, there are hungry birds flying over waiting to swoop down on you.

Just a reminder...The team you are playing with now lost to Union City twice, including once on a neutral floor....

With Swift and Taylor playing, I'd give the edge to LC, without them, UC...

yankees...It's sad watching Whitby now when what you are used to seeing is his days at Obion Central...

I was there. In a nutshell LC to quick and athletic for WC. WC was down by 4 I think at the half in large part because of home cooking...if not for that LC could have easily been up 12 to 15. I think the fouls were LC 10 and WC 2 at the half. WC played a zone and it no effect on LC....LC penetrated the zone with ease. With about 4 minutes left it was a 8 or 9 point game and you could see Greer knew this could be his last game in high school and he took over....Drive the length of the court and score at will...i guess he did this 3 or 4 times.....thy cut the led to 6 with under 2 minutes left mainly because LC would hit 1 FT and miss 1 FT...so basically WC was going 2 for 1 on about three straight possessions....Then Greer had a costly TO with about 1 minute left that pretty much sealed the game...that's when I left.

LC was less than impressive at times and at other times looked very good. Basically they were just to quick and athletic for WC to play with for a whole game. If the refs would have let them play this game would have been at least a 20 point win for LC. Having said that in my opinion LC simply didn't have an answer for Greer. Greer played to unselfish in my opinion. I believe Greer could have scored 40 on LC if he wanted to. WC is basically a 1 man team as far as consistency on the offensive end. My clock times and numbers may or may not be off a little but that is basically how I saw this game.

LC is very beatable in my opinion. The Tyler kid is a good PG and the Robertson kid is big and strong and not a bad ball player for single A. To be honest number 23 looks like he could be the best player on the LC team...I don't know his name and was told he is a freshman.....I don't think he filled the stat sheet but if he is indeed a freshman he has a chance to be really good by the time he graduates. LC is not a good shooting team and I predict that will be their downfall......but I need to remind myself that this is single A and that the margin for error for a team like LC is greater than most teams in single A. I have a sense that LC is better than the team I saw tonight....what I didn't like especially at this point in the season was some of the turnovers and I just don't think they shoot the ball that well as a team. The PG and number 23 I like.......number 23 would be my go to guy even if he really is a freshman. This kid needs to hit some skills camps and AAU and he will be really good.

I guess I should point out that is the only time I have seen LC so some of the things I said might be unfair. I would really like to see Whitby step down because he did not look like he is in good health at all. He actually looked like he might have a touch of parkinsons. His health is more important than basketball. I wish the man good luck and hope he has a long healthy life ahead of him but the grind of practicing and coaching 30 games a season might be to much......I don't think I saw him get animated and fired up the whole game. I t looked like it would be a task just to do something like that and we all know that is just part of coaching. Again good luck to coach Whitby and LC as their season continues.

I agree with your post..Had the officials let Lake Co play,would have been a 15 to 20 point game.I'd also agree with you about the shooting.Hockett is probably the best shooter Lake Co has but is turnover prone and maybe not as athletic so he hasn't played much lately but did start against Trenton.The player you're talking about is Devon Jones,a freshman that many think is going to grow a few more inches..believe he is around 6'1 or 6'2 now but has a lot of speed and upside..Rafael could be one of the best guards in the area,or is..but could be betetr..Has all the moves,handles the ball well..needs to work on his outside shot but the thing most don't like about him is he is selfish at times.And Ricky Boyd and the tall white kid for Lake Co are sophomores as well so Lake Co has a lot of talent coming back.And the big Gauldin kid could help more next year as far as just height next year..And is Swift comes back and does like most hope he will,Lake Co should have a pretty talented group with a lot of speed.I believe he was the best player on the team so hopefully he'll be back.And as far as Coach Whitby..Everyone likes him..a very nice guy..but like yousaid..not really able to do much coaching,if hardly any at all..He's been through a lot also with his wife passing away with cancer..sure that took a lot from him the past couple years also..Would like to see him step away this year and maybe just take it easy and just come to the games and enjoy himself if thats what he wants..Or stay home and relax.!

Good job Lake County! Wished I could have made it to the game. Now let's unplug the tornado siren. Watch out UC, there are hungry birds flying over waiting to swoop down on you.

Just a reminder...The team you are playing with now lost to Union City twice, including once on a neutral floor....

With Swift and Taylor playing, I'd give the edge to LC, without them, UC...

yankees...It's sad watching Whitby now when what you are used to seeing is his days at Obion Central...

Both teams know each other well and are about the same height.Devon Jones has been starting lately and helps Lake Co just from an athletic standpoint .Union City has the better shooters.I believe Lake Co knows they'll have to stay with their man..I thought at times last night ,Lake Co didn't play any defense.Several times just let Greer drive to the basket..The one thing I was disappointed at was Lake Co let them get about 4 or 5 snowbirds.Get the rebound and had someone releasing and threw the ball down the court for an easy basket..If Cody Taylor and Swift were playing,I'd like Lake Co's chances to win it all..Even if Cody Taylor is playing,I'd go with Lake Co..Had he been playing last night ,a lot of the West Carrol shots would have been in the stands..I'd agree with you..since they're not playing..am going with Union City but could be a toss up.!

With the Union City win over Huntingdon last night, a streak continued.....

That was the 87th game in a row since 05-06 that UC has beaten a 1A team NOT named Humboldt or Lake County.....(18-14 vs Humboldt (8-9) and Lake County (10-5) against those two)

Not since Dec. 4th, 2001 vs Trey Pearson and South Fulton has UC lost to a 1A team other than Humboldt or Lake County...That is a span of 95 games....Teams included other than district opponents are region teams Clarksburg, Big Sandy, McKenzie, West Carroll and Huntingdon..Sub-State games against Middleton x's 2...State tournament games against Cloudland, Wayne County, Moore County and Temple..State championship game wins over Chatt Grace Baptist and Manassas....

In all since 05-06 UC is 105-14 against 1A competition...

With the Union City win over Huntingdon last night, a streak continued.....

That was the 87th game in a row since 05-06 that UC has beaten a 1A team NOT named Humboldt or Lake County.....(18-14 vs Humboldt (8-9) and Lake County (10-5) against those two)

Not since Dec. 4th, 2001 vs Trey Pearson and South Fulton has UC lost to a 1A team other than Humboldt or Lake County...That is a span of 95 games....Teams included other than district opponents are region teams Clarksburg, Big Sandy, McKenzie, West Carroll and Huntingdon..Sub-State games against Middleton x's 2...State tournament games against Cloudland, Wayne County, Moore County and Temple..State championship game wins over Chatt Grace Baptist and Manassas....

In all since 05-06 UC is 105-14 against 1A competition...

Ok, purple nice stats but we are in 2010 no need for the blast from the past. we all know what UC has done in the past and we are talking about the present because a lot of games they won could have went either way between UC, LC or Humboldt because I can remember a lot of last second miracles for UC so let's not boast about the past because everyone knows UC has a great program but let's also admit that LC or Humboldt could have won those trophies during those season. so, back to this year who do you see making it to the boro?