Rossview's Coach Let Go??

AFan2

Coach Brown

I just heard you were let go and I heard the reason why. It is a travesty when a person comes forward with information like you did and then is let's go for it, regardless of how your admin wants to spin it the people know the truth.

Coach Brown you did a great job with your team in only three-years and we can only hope you can be picked up some place else.

Bless you for looking after our children and best of luck to you and your family.

J. Davis

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you brought it up on a public message board. What did Rossview's coach do?

Who knows ? Maybe he needed to be fired, maybe not. Seems the kids liked him which in the eyes of some idiotic school administrations is reason enough to be let go. Article below gives a little insight but may not be the whole story.

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/article ... s+job+loss

I have talked with Coach Brown several times about this issue and I can fill in a little about the situation but since it seems it will be going to court the whole story can not come out yet.

But I can answer some of the information that is in the article sited.

The letter of Reprimand was only for "lack of supervision" not "insubordination." Also, the paper neglected to put in Coach Brown's lawyers rebuttal letter which explains the "lack of supervision" this will also be a dressed in court, if the school board allows him a day in a hearing.

His evaluations for the first two-years were all satisfactory. It was his last evaluation that Myers marked as unsatisfactory. And as any teacher will tell you there are only two choices that you can mark, satisfactory and unsatisfactory.

Improvement in conducting conversations with students and parents stems from one of his wrestler's parents. The wrestler was a senior and could not crack into the varsity line-up and the parents called the AD, also it was near the very end of the year. The AD then told Coach Brown to get the kid into a few varsity matches. So, Coach Brown called the kid who was the varsity wrestler's parents and notified them that he was going to seat out their varsity son for a whole meet and why he was doing this. The parents got extremely mad about it and voice their opinion on the matter. Well, the JV senior's parents got pissed at Coach Brown for telling someone else their concerns and called the AD and the Principal yelling and screaming about it. This happened Coach Brown's 2-year coaching.

Need for Improving Attendance. The Teachers Union has it set-up that a teacher has 10 sick days they can have and 3 personal days and during Coach Brown's 3-years of teaching he has never gone over that amount. The only reason he took most of those days off were to watch his sick kid who was just a baby at the time. Coach Brown is a salary employee and his wife is an hourly employee, so it made no sense for her to miss work when Coach Brown had the days allotted to him. Again, he never missed more than the days he was allowed. Oh on a side note on two-days of his absences the school made him take personal days so he could go to MBA to schedule his matches for the next year.

Now, on the issue of the Whistleblowing. I can not go into any of this because as stated earlier this will be going to court and because the whole story has not come out yet it can not be discussed here.

Afan2 I am with you in wishing Coach Brown and his family well! It takes a lot of courage to come forward when you know you can lose your job and not be able to feed your family to do the right thing against a "good ol' boy" school like Rossview.

As a Rossview parent, we are very saddened by the administrations choice to renew Coach Brown's contract. We have contacted our school board people, the principals, and the director of schools. We have pretty much been told that our concerns don't matter.

Coach Brown has been a great coach to our kids. He has taken a bunch of kids who never wrestled before, and turned them into wrestlers. We qualified 10 kids for state this year! If that doesn't tell you something.......

He has been a surrogate father to many of our boys when their military fathers are deployed. He drives these boys to tournaments around the country, even when he can't coach them because of TSSAA rules. He has become a part of our family, and our boys have become a part of his.

It is sad when that administration can't see that this man has made a difference in the lives of our children. Isn't that most important for a teacher? I think it is.

The wrestling parents at Rossview will continue to support Coach Brown as he deals with the administration in the court system. We just hope that our boys can continue the great wrestling tradition that he started at Rossview. We hope that Coach Brown can also.

Blowing the whistle had nothing to do with his non-renewal. Principals had to turn in a list of non tenured staff who would not be rehired, back in February. Mr. Brown knew he would not be back before he decided to blow the whistle. I guess this is one way to create doubt in the eyes of the public, however, the writing was already on the wall. It is a waste of time, money and effort to contest his non renewal. He was let go because he was an ineffective teacher in the "classroom."

Sorry Fanofwrestling but it did, Coach Brown and another Teacher came forward back in October 2009. He then came forward a second time 2 or 3 weeks before his contract was non-renewed and it was the second time he came forward that the teacher resigned for inappropriate contact with a student. So you see His first complaint was before the List in February went to the school board.

I know he would love to tell you the whole story of how the October date was the beginning of the end but because it will be going to court that information will just have to remain a secret but believe me his lawyer has a ton of information to prove the claims.

A ton, or 10 tons, of information won't make a bit of difference. A non tenured teacher has no "real" recourse. They will go through the motions, but to no avail. It is plain and simple...if you do your job in the "classroom" you will not have anything to worry about. He was required, by law, to report the relationship if he had first hand knowledge of it, when the student in question was still a minor. To say that he was let go because of this is to question the integrity of the Principal and the entire school system administration. I also know that there was another annonymous "whistle blower" who will be back in the classroom next year. The difference is that this person actually teaches to earn a paycheck. Mr. Brown was blessed with good parents and a great feeder program. The Rossview program is now reaching new heights mainly because of this youth program. Mr. Brown may have been a great guy and a dedicated coach, willing to take kids to offseason tournaments, etc., but 95% of his pay check was for teaching in the "classroom." Being a good guy and a dedicated coach is only a small part of being a great educator. The other 95% is what you do when you are supposed to be teaching. As a tax payer who helps pay the salary of teachers in TN, I would hope that you understand this explanation. I have no dog in this fight, however, I do know the facts and the fact is that Mr. Brown was not renewed because he was an ineffective "teacher."

I am a parent of one of the Rossview Wrestlers and I just thought I would comment on fanofwrestling's comments.

Ok Fanofwrestling you are correct on Coach Brown being an "ineffective teacher" because you have seen him teach in the classroom and have observed him as well. To question the integrity of the principal or the school system staff I believe the hundreds of parents and students and people in the community are wrong as well. But you are right. You know all about this case and you know all about all.

You are also, so right it was Rossview's feeder program that produces Coach Brown's winning team. All his wrestlers came from the feeder program. Hold it... only 2 of his varsity wrestlers came from the feeder program but like you said it is because of their youth program so I guess you are right again. Coach Brown and his staff had nothing to do with it.

I know, I know you will say something like "hey I know this teacher received these poor performances because I read it or heard it." Just a question... do you always believe what you read or hear? I know, I know you will say "NO but in this case the principal and the administration are not wrong!" Another quick question, how do you know that? Just because they are in a position of authority? Richard Nixon was also in a position of authority but I guess you believe "he was not a crook?"

We parents know Coach Brown will not get his job back here at Rossview and this is a sad occasion for us because we know how good a teacher he is, how you ask? Because we see it in his coaching and the children see it in the classroom everyday. An effective teacher is not just one who can ramble off learned facts but who can also connect with the students. Just FYI Coach Brown is extremely knowledgeable about all sports and he is able to connect with students. Which is obvious from all the support he has from his students, wrestlers, parents, and the community.

So fanofwreslting, until you have some actual proof or factual based information on his abilities as a teacher or as a coach do not berate or belittle his and his teams accomplishments because you are also bashing us as well and we parents know the true. Not because we read it or heard it!

Coach Brown keep your head up and do not let anyone bring you down to their level.

** Ok fanofwrestling let's hear your next set of rants and raves that you have read or heard because in the end you nor anyone else can cover up the truth by spewing half-truths and false propaganda.

I do not know what happened, but I can attest that it does happen every year to teachers. A teacher can do a darn good job in the classroom and with athletic teams, but let them cross the wrong person and no matter how you did you WILL be gone. A teacher has no ground to stand on during the first three years. All they have to say is they are not fired but just that their contract is not renewed.

It really makes a person have to think about going into the profession, especially now with all the laws changing and wanting to add the years and expectations before being granted tenure, that is if it will even still be around.

More should be looked at administration, and if so the system. If a teacher is doing their job and the admin does their job then the paper trail, files of observations and feedback will be satisfactory to make proper decisions. If not done, which they are required to do at least 3 each year, which allows a teacher the opportunity to grow and become a proficient teacher, then yes it is the higher ups who are not doing the correct steps to create a positive learning environment.

Have seen this happen more than once and its a shame, not even TEA can do anything. Get rid of more administrators or hold them actual accountable. Not the ones who teach and want to do the best they can.

Announcements