Predictions?

KPowers55

I don't know a great deal about the Chattanooga teams, but Ensworth at 4th is not inconceivable under a not very far-fetched scenario. Imagine them having to deal with the injuries MBA suffered in Rutledge's last year there, or, even last year. Ensworth has a very good team with excellent athletes, and they're well coached. But they aren't particularly deep. A couple of key injuries at inopportune times would have a much greater impact on them than on some of the bigger schools.

And Bluemom, if it should shake out like this at the end of the season, would you be kind enough to send me six numbers between 1 and 50?

Ensworth has had a number of key injuries every year and has still managed to remain competitive. I guess that's why Ricky has such a high winning percentage. Murphy Fare has him listed as number 2 winning percentage in the state at over 80%. They have already lost one of the top safeties in the state (Rodney Anderson). They are actually much deeper than they have ever been with over 50 boys on the team between 10-12 grades. A couple of years ago they had 50 boys including 23 freshman.

Just like every other team if they lost a couple more of thier best players it would hurt bad.

Ensworth has had a number of key injuries every year and has still managed to remain competitive. I guess that's why Ricky has such a high winning percentage. Murphy Fare has him listed as number 2 winning percentage in the state at over 80%. They have already lost one of the top safeties in the state (Rodney Anderson). They are actually much deeper than they have ever been with over 50 boys on the team between 10-12 grades. A couple of years ago they had 50 boys including 23 freshman.

Just like every other team if they lost a couple more of thier best players it would hurt bad.

I'm not recalling any of Ensworth's 3 competitive teams having to cope with the loss of multiple QB's or the loss of leaders on both sides of the ball (like Colbert and Griscom last year).

E/M

1. MBA (winning tradition, 500 male students for 90 roster football team, state runnerup 2009)

2. BA (lots of talent in skilled position, Potter's 1st group of SR's, home games w/ MBA and EHS)

3. Baylor (experienced QB, couple of DI college prospects, Strong SR class)

4. Ensworth (#1 college prospect in state, big up front, added QB coach Martin and Paul Wade, depth?)

5. Ryan (good at spoiler role, will beat one of the top teams, not as much talent as last year)

6. McCallie (new QB, carrying 7 game losing streak into 2010, inexperience in skilled positions)

7. BGA (new coach, new system, new defensive coordinator, new new new????)

8. JPII (new coach but he is too old to suit up, a couple of good running backs but weak O-line)

West

1. CBHS (17 starters returning, O-line comparable with EHS, good receivers)

2. Briarcrest (Will inprove 2009 7-5 record with players on both sides of the ball, depth is a factor)

3. MUS (Lost 18 starters, rebuilding year, no Brunetti)

4. SBA (?????????????????)

Edited by shakinthefat

E/M

1. MBA (winning tradition, 500 male students for 90 roster football team, state runnerup 2009)

2. BA (lots of talent in skilled position, Potter's 1st group of SR's, home games w/ MBA and EHS)

4. Ensworth (#1 college prospect in state, big up front, added QB coach Martin and Paul Wade, depth?)

5. Ryan (good at spoiler role, will beat one of the top teams, not as much talent as last year)

6. McCallie (new QB, carrying 7 game losing streak into 2010, inexperience in skilled positions)

8. JPII (new coach but he is too old to suit up, a couple of good running backs but weak O-line)

West

2. Briarcrest (Will inprove 2009 7-5 record with players on both sides of the ball, depth is a factor)

4. SBA ?????????????????

MUS should still be first in the west, if not the division, they technically lost 18 of their starters, but a lot of those starters split playing time with younger guys who played just as much. The only thing they will be lacking, is that big play threat they have always had. They are going to be solid like always on D. If they can find someone who can make the big plays on O this year i have a feeling you will be seeing them at state.

MUS should still be first in the west, if not the division, they technically lost 18 of their starters, but a lot of those starters split playing time with younger guys who played just as much. The only thing they will be lacking, is that big play threat they have always had. They are going to be solid like always on D. If they can find someone who can make the big plays on O this year i have a feeling you will be seeing them at state.

I have to agree with you at this point, a two time state champ and finishing top 10 in the country give them the top spot.

I don't think CBHS's line is their strong point as the guy said, I hear EHS has 2 or 3 D1 guys on the line, we dont. We are small but quick. I think our defense will be very good, and the team could compete with the best in the division.

Briarcrest, should be better......good line, I hear a very good and big QB, and one of the fastest wideouts.

SBA, will struggle......small, not many kids.....they should be allowed to play D2 small, they have about 60% girls. SBA has two players....the Wilkins, the SR. may be at Vandy next year, and the soph. is a big running back fast and likely will play college ball.

E/M

West

4. SBA (?????????????????)

I'll be delighted if you're right. Handicapping the top 6 in E/M is awfully difficult, and there are so many variables that could swing it.

I'm not recalling any of Ensworth's 3 competitive teams having to cope with the loss of multiple QB's or the loss of leaders on both sides of the ball (like Colbert and Griscom last year).

2007 Tavares Jefferson, separated shoulder in MBA game missed entire season. 2008 Cody Tollison as a Jr. was slated to be the starting QB and had an ACL before the season started. Rodney Anderson had an ACL early in the season (the other knee from this year). Daniel Mc Fadden starting TE & DE ACL early in the season. 2009 Jacob Carter, Safety, WR broken collar bone mid-season, Cory Sacks, DB, WR back injury pre-season missed first 4 or 5 games, Smithy McClain, OT Concussion, out for season, Calvin Settles, OT, DT ACL out for season.

I'm sure there were others but this are off the top of my head. The reason you may not recall any of this is because very little was said about it. Ricky just lines up and plays with who he has.

2007 Tavares Jefferson, separated shoulder in MBA game missed entire season. 2008 Cody Tollison as a Jr. was slated to be the starting QB and had an ACL before the season started. Rodney Anderson had an ACL early in the season (the other knee from this year). Daniel Mc Fadden starting TE & DE ACL early in the season. 2009 Jacob Carter, Safety, WR broken collar bone mid-season, Cory Sacks, DB, WR back injury pre-season missed first 4 or 5 games, Smithy McClain, OT Concussion, out for season, Calvin Settles, OT, DT ACL out for season.

I'm sure there were others but this are off the top of my head. The reason you may not recall any of this is because very little was said about it. Ricky just lines up and plays with who he has.

And they also seem to be in different years...I'm talking about multiple catastrophic (i.e., season-ending)injuries to key players in one season...not preseason, where you have time to make adjustments in schemes, or even completely retool an offensive or defense. Again, I have in mind a situation like last season when MBA lost Griscom in the Maplewood game, followed by Colbert against Ensworth. And while I'm incredibly impressed with Bowers' display of stoicism in the face of the adversity you describe, I don't recall McGugin (or prior to him, Rutledge) complaining about injuries. I'm simply aware of the injuries because I follow the games.

And they also seem to be in different years...I'm talking about multiple catastrophic (i.e., season-ending)injuries to key players in one season...not preseason, where you have time to make adjustments in schemes, or even completely retool an offensive or defense. Again, I have in mind a situation like last season when MBA lost Griscom in the Maplewood game, followed by Colbert against Ensworth. And while I'm incredibly impressed with Bowers' display of stoicism in the face of the adversity you describe, I don't recall McGugin (or prior to him, Rutledge) complaining about injuries. I'm simply aware of the injuries because I follow the games.

You asked about multiple years so I answered you. If you go back and read my post the only pre-season injury I referenced was Tollison (1 week before the first game)the others were during the season. Additionally, these injuries happened at a time when Ensworth had to dress all their freshman to have enough players to look like a D2 AA team. What no one ever mentions is MBA has more than twice as many boys as Ensworth. Most EHS boys play both ways becuase of this. One injury to EHS is like two or three to MBA.

The Tennessean Midsate top 10 football poll in today's Tennessean:

1. BA

2. Oakland

3. Smyrna

4. MBA

5. Brentwood

6. Beech

7. Columbia

8. Ensworth

9. Giles Co.

10. Pearl-Cohn

States that Ensworth "lacks experience at skill positions". I assume that includes the QB.

Edited by shakinthefat

You asked about multiple years so I answered you. If you go back and read my post the only pre-season injury I referenced was Tollison (1 week before the first game)the others were during the season. Additionally, these injuries happened at a time when Ensworth had to dress all their freshman to have enough players to look like a D2 AA team. What no one ever mentions is MBA has more than twice as many boys as Ensworth. Most EHS boys play both ways becuase of this. One injury to EHS is like two or three to MBA.

You're making my points for me. I'm not criticizing Ensworth, I'm pointing out that they have a limited number of players. A couple of key injuries could be catastrophic. And by talking about depth, I am pretty much mentioning that MBA has a lot more boys than Ensworth.