Predictions?

KPowers55

MUS with 5 1st place votes but are rated #3 in the preseason poll.

http://www.murphyfair.com/preseasonpolls.html

WOW, some idiot actually voted for Westview over Alcoa!? Okay, whatever. Also, MBA was voted in at 1st place in Div II-AA? Ensworth and BA will run away with it this year. Although, MUS fared pretty well at the National 7-on-7 tourney this year.

Yes, I know Ricky Bowers is the coach. And yes, I know the state’s top college prospect resides on EHS’s front lines.

However, in the short history of the program, this is the biggest rebuilding season to date for EHS. A very serviceable quarterback/leader is being replaced, with the heir apparent having thrown only 22 passes over the past two years (and completing only 8). Of further uncertainty is the rushing game, which, as best as I can tell, is losing at least 92% of last year’s rushing yardage due to either graduation or season-ending injury.

Do I think these factors preclude EHS from having a good season, or even a great one that ends in a title? No, of course not. But after reading comments like “nobody hanging with the big E†and EHS being one of two schools “run[ning] away with it this yearâ€, I am wondering from where these theories of utter dominance arise. Big holes may be opened by the big linemen, and the defense may be good enough to keep offensive scores needed for victory to a minimum, but this season represents the biggest question mark to date for the Tiger O, especially at the positions that hold the ball and score the points.

In general, I can readily accept arguments of “rebuildingâ€, “reloadingâ€, “it’s the systemâ€, etc., as reasons for a good season, but there have to be a lot of breaks and fortuitous bounces for good teams to move to the dominant level. I just don’t see a dominant team anywhere in the league this year; many good ones, and enough good ones to fare well once again against the ever-non-believing DI schools, but no team at a level far above the field. We’ve seen three undefeated champs in a row in this league. I am not sure I see four in a row.

Cogent, respectful replies welcome.

I have to say losing Anderson was a big loss. He would have been one of the best safeties in the league and a very good running back. That said, EHS is still loaded at running back and there should be holes as big as a truck. EHS returns 7 starters on offense and the other 4 played a lot last year. QB Wirth Campbell took a year off from other sports and only worked on football. He is a different kid, very strong arm, quick feet and confident. On the camp circuit he had a lot of interest from major programs and with a couple of good games he should be looking at a high level D1 offer. If teams stack the line of scrimmage he will make them pay. Look for Ensworth to be very balanced this year between run and pass.

On defense, 7 starters also return and the other 4 played significant minutes last year. The line will be hard to run against and the DB backs are quick and talented. EHS is being overlooked this year and that is a good thing. They have lost a total of two games (both in the playoffs) by very small margins in the last two years. They will possibly lose some games early but, those who write them off may be surprised.

I have to say losing Anderson was a big loss. He would have been one of the best safeties in the league and a very good running back. That said, EHS is still loaded at running back and there should be holes as big as a truck. EHS returns 7 starters on offense and the other 4 played a lot last year. QB Wirth Campbell took a year off from other sports and only worked on football. He is a different kid, very strong arm, quick feet and confident. On the camp circuit he had a lot of interest from major programs and with a couple of good games he should be looking at a high level D1 offer. If teams stack the line of scrimmage he will make them pay. Look for Ensworth to be very balanced this year between run and pass.

On defense, 7 starters also return and the other 4 played significant minutes last year. The line will be hard to run against and the DB backs are quick and talented. EHS is being overlooked this year and that is a good thing. They have lost a total of two games (both in the playoffs) by very small margins in the last two years. They will possibly lose some games early but, those who write them off may be surprised.

Ensworth is not "loaded" at running back. They have Quinn Hamilton, who played sparingly last year, and Corn Elder who has never played a meaningful snap. I do not know if loaded is the word to describe that. Also Worth Campbell may not even play QB this year. He is looking at tight end right now and Drew Parker is looking at the QB spot. Also there is no way they return 7 starters on defense. Carter, Anderson, Sacks, Beird, Cooper, and the DT were all seniors last year with the exception of Anderson. And no the other 5 have did not play that much. Also on offense they return 7 with the other 4 having significant playing time? They lost Darkwa, Tollison, Cooper, Sacks, Carter, Reeve, and Gittens (or whoever was the weakside tackle). There is 7 starters they lost. You need to get your facts right before you go on another Ensworth is Amazing raid because I think most of us on this board are getting sick of hearing about Worth Campbell's great arm and others. And yes, You heard it hear first!!

Not sure where you are getting your information, but it is not correct. Yes, Quinn Hamilton and Corn Elder will be the top two backs and they did not carry the ball alot last year because OOD was the feature back (as he should have been). However, they are both very fast, shifty running backs. I can assure you Wirth (not Worth) Campbell is not looking at Tight End. He is the Starting QB and Parker is the back-up. Period end of story(although, he would be a great TE given how strong and athletic he is). Won't post anymore about Wirth's arm if that pleases you... Will just let his play speak for him.

Regarding defense, Carter and Sacks were both injured a lot last year and Watson and Batey started in thier place. I counted them as starters since they took more snaps than Carter and Sacks. So, EHS lost three on defense (if you count Anderson to injury)plus Aidan Smith, the DT you referred to who was a sometime starter and McFadden (a sometime starter). They return Richardson, Crenshaw, Mcdermott, Grant, Fentress, Hamilton, Batey, Watson. That is eight players. I said seven because Mcdermott played more on offense last year. Behind those 8 players are Jim Wilkins, Rodney Edmiston, LaVonte Bowers and Keshonn Carter who played significant minutes on defense.

Regarding offense, lost OOD, Tollison, Cooper, and Reeve. Remember Sacks and Carter were injured and replaced by either Hamilton, Batey or Watson. Can't replace OOD but Campbell will be a significant upgrade over Tollison.

You should really get your facts straight before making these posts. Anyway, there is a scrimmage tomorrow against Columbia, Hillsboro next Friday and Anderson Co. the Friday after that. First two games are Oakland and MBA. I suspect those two games will tell everyone a lot

We're splitting hairs on this EHS starter issue - with most teams platooning, it's a moot point other than what level of (in)experience it stands for - but footballfan1111's interpetation of returning starters is more aligned with what was written in Murphy Fair's book, which is based on a questionnaire returned by the coaching staff. I'll check the numbers later tonight, but 14 starters returning was far higher than what EHS reported (the number may have been in high single digits; I just don't remember exactly).

Anyway, the season can't get here quick enough. A few teams, and a handful of players across many teams, have some lofty tasks ahead of them to achieve the rock start status ordained in the preseason on these message boards. I can't wait to see how the season unfolds.

Not sure where you are getting your information, but it is not correct. Yes, Quinn Hamilton and Corn Elder will be the top two backs and they did not carry the ball alot last year because OOD was the feature back (as he should have been). However, they are both very fast, shifty running backs. I can assure you Wirth (not Worth) Campbell is not looking at Tight End. He is the Starting QB and Parker is the back-up. Period end of story(although, he would be a great TE given how strong and athletic he is). Won't post anymore about Wirth's arm if that pleases you... Will just let his play speak for him.

Regarding defense, Carter and Sacks were both injured a lot last year and Watson and Batey started in thier place. I counted them as starters since they took more snaps than Carter and Sacks. So, EHS lost three on defense (if you count Anderson to injury)plus Aidan Smith, the DT you referred to who was a sometime starter and McFadden (a sometime starter). They return Richardson, Crenshaw, Mcdermott, Grant, Fentress, Hamilton, Batey, Watson. That is eight players. I said seven because Mcdermott played more on offense last year. Behind those 8 players are Jim Wilkins, Rodney Edmiston, LaVonte Bowers and Keshonn Carter who played significant minutes on defense.

Regarding offense, lost OOD, Tollison, Cooper, and Reeve. Remember Sacks and Carter were injured and replaced by either Hamilton, Batey or Watson. Can't replace OOD but Campbell will be a significant upgrade over Tollison.

You should really get your facts straight before making these posts. Anyway, there is a scrimmage tomorrow against Columbia, Hillsboro next Friday and Anderson Co. the Friday after that. First two games are Oakland and MBA. I suspect those two games will tell everyone a lot

My apologies for continuing to split hairs rollredroll, but I couldn't help but reply to this post. Carter and Sacks certainly got more snaps then Watson. Batey got the same amount. Carter played safety with Batey and Sacks at corner. The starters on defense leaving are Sacks, Carter, Beaird, Grigsby, Cooper, McFadden, Settles and Smith (started off/on)

On offense the team will play without starters in Darkwa, Reuther, Reeve, Cooper, McFadden, Tollison, Sacks, Carter, Settles (played most of season before injury) In addition, Beaird and Grigsby took alot of snaps at fullback.

So get YOUR facts straight before posting, please.

EDIT: And Wirth Campbell has yet to prove himself. Sure, he is strong, and fairly athletic, but he has a career completion percentage of 36. That's not exactly superhero statistics for the man you hype up to be the next Barry Brunetti.

Edited by Treadstone

My apologies for continuing to split hairs rollredroll, but I couldn't help but reply to this post. Carter and Sacks certainly got more snaps then Watson. Batey got the same amount. Carter played safety with Batey and Sacks at corner. The starters on defense leaving are Sacks, Carter, Beaird, Grigsby, Cooper, McFadden, Settles and Smith (started off/on)

On offense the team will play without starters in Darkwa, Reuther, Reeve, Cooper, McFadden, Tollison, Sacks, Carter, Settles (played most of season before injury) In addition, Beaird and Grigsby took alot of snaps at fullback.

So get YOUR facts straight before posting, please.

EDIT: And Wirth Campbell has yet to prove himself. Sure, he is strong, and fairly athletic, but he has a career completion percentage of 36. That's not exactly superhero statistics for the man you hype up to be the next Barry Brunetti.

I have already stated the facts and you obviously are clueless. Case in point, Calvin Settles was hurt the entire year and stopped coming to practice after about week three. Not sure about your completion percentage statistics and don't understand your dislike of Wirth. However, I do not think he will be the next Barry Brunetti. He will be more like Ingle Martin his QB coach. Love the pub for him though.

Not sure about your completion percentage statistics...

2009: 4-for-9

2008: 4-for-13

Combined: 8-for-22 >> .3636 (36%)

These yearly statistics are available on the conference website.

There is a reader on a local paper's message boards with a similar username that is not buying into a different set of statistics provided by others; I wonder if the two are one in the same.

Nevertheless, the data provided on that paper's message boards and here - at least in terms of the aforementioned completion percentage - is accurate.

Edited by rollredroll

Thank you Mr. Treadstone for your support, and my facts Rumble are based off of watching many Ensworth games and alos reviewing their depth chart. The backs are shifty as you add, yet one is unproven and 150 pounds and the other just doesn't seem to have the stuff to be a star. No matter what way you look at it they are not returning the 15 starters you said they were, and Sacks was injured against the MBA game in the playoffs, while Carter was injured a little earlier. Their defense is very unproven with only 3-4 good players returning. (Take what you watn from that statement but I consider Richardson, Fentress, Hamilton, and Watson, because the others are unproven.) I do not have a dislike of Wirth, I have just seen you throw his name out many times like he is the next Peyton Manning, and I just think many people on this board do not take you seriously because of this. I do not dislike Ensworth, although I'll admit I favor most the other DII schools over them, simply because I do not like the way they run things over there.

Thank you Mr. Treadstone for your support, and my facts Rumble are based off of watching many Ensworth games and alos reviewing their depth chart. The backs are shifty as you add, yet one is unproven and 150 pounds and the other just doesn't seem to have the stuff to be a star. No matter what way you look at it they are not returning the 15 starters you said they were, and Sacks was injured against the MBA game in the playoffs, while Carter was injured a little earlier. Their defense is very unproven with only 3-4 good players returning. (Take what you watn from that statement but I consider Richardson, Fentress, Hamilton, and Watson, because the others are unproven.) I do not have a dislike of Wirth, I have just seen you throw his name out many times like he is the next Peyton Manning, and I just think many people on this board do not take you seriously because of this. I do not dislike Ensworth, although I'll admit I favor most the other DII schools over them, simply because I do not like the way they run things over there.

Crenshaw too that's 5.