DEAD PERIOD BEGINS

FBCOACH

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully 'other' weight rooms have been arrainged for this year as they were in the past, but I doubt it as it is another 'little detail' that is being passed over and forgotten.

It should be easy this year as the weight room in Jackson Heights now has a branch over on this side of town! Don't need coaches if the right form has already been taught.

Ever since its inception, I have been against this rule. It never made any sense to me to have an athlete take two weeks off in the middle of the summer. Having an athlete take a couple weeks off is in no way a bad thing but the timing of this period is the problem I have. The administration at each school should have the authority to select the dates that the dead period comes in effect. They can then base the strength and conditioning program around those dates and utilize the dead period as their active rest period. I guess that could hurt vacationers, but with many programs coaches have a built in amount of time that players can miss without being punished anyways. If you are allowed 4 absenses in the summer and you lift 4 days a week then you have up to a 10 day vacation free from punishment.

Dead periods good, but timing bad

To me it is just another reason why the state of Tennessee lags behind when it comes to producing major college talent when comes to recruiting where it be football, basketball etc. while other players in other states are working out and trying to get better Tennessee shuts there kids down two weeks without lifting, running or learning there chosen sport. I know "they can work out on there own" people will say but come on how many will seriously do it?

Its like a couple of years ago when the T$$AA wouldn't let Sonny Gray play in the Aflac High School All-American game several years ago. I heard that the T$$AA was going to vote on changing this rule at the last board meeting a week or so ago was it changed? (I'm betting not!)

If the T$$AA doesn't change there ways all they are hurting are the student-athletes who would be invited to these prestigious events. That might end up costing them college scholarships or professional careers in a sport they love because baseball is reliant on drafting high school players and pro scouts attend these events and I assume college coaches do to or at least no who is doing what.

I know it doesn't effect those put on by college teams but does the T$$AA allow high school football players/teams to attend the scouting combines going on across the the country right now like the Nike 7-on-7 or other National 7-on-7 events or the combines put on by Nike, Adidas, Scout.com & Unapproved Website or the Elite11 QB camps?

...while other players in other states are working out and trying to get better Tennessee shuts there kids down two weeks without lifting, running or learning there chosen sport. I know "they can work out on there own" people will say but come on how many will seriously do it?...

Sequatchie, do you realize you defeat your own argument? First you say other players are working out trying to get better (implying they are working some on their own) and then you say Tennessee athletes won't seriously do it. Sounds like the problem is Tennessee athletes and not TSSAA.

If a player is a true college/pro prospect, it will be first and foremost because they have SPEED and the right size. They will not get the speed they need in a two week period during the summer from the high school facilities. If they don't have it naturally, they can only make modest improvements, and that would be if they worked seriously hard on their own outside of organized workouts. Second, if they are not dedicated enough to work out on their own during the two weeks, then maybe they shouldn't be/don't deserve to be/will never be a college player.

The dead period is a GREAT rule and I personally think the timing is great. Your argument is quite naive and ignorant to say the least!

Kids don't need weight rooms anyway. They need to go work a job that requires some multi movement lifting and be outside in the heat. Players in the 60's and 70's did not even have weight rooms and I bet they were a lot tougher and stronger overall than the kids today. Players today can get all they need if they would simply run,run, and run some more,do plenty of push-ups,sit-ups and pull- ups. I bet the kids today that still work outside and actually work are stronger and in better shape than these weight room kids.

Kids don't need weight rooms anyway. They need to go work a job that requires some multi movement lifting and be outside in the heat. Players in the 60's and 70's did not even have weight rooms and I bet they were a lot tougher and stronger overall than the kids today. Players today can get all they need if they would simply run,run, and run some more,do plenty of push-ups,sit-ups and pull- ups. I bet the kids today that still work outside and actually work are stronger and in better shape than these weight room kids.

Sounds like your coach was like alot of us had in the 'old' hay hauling days. Nothing like the 'coach's' hay crew and 5,000 bale days in barns of 100+ degree temps!

At the end of it you were happy to put the pads on and hit anyone! :thumb:

Sounds like your coach was like alot of us had in the 'old' hay hauling days. Nothing like the 'coach's' hay crew and 5,000 bale days in barns of 100+ degree temps!

..........and don't forget cuttin' and staking them tobacco stalks, then hanging them heavy things while balancing on beams in those barns as well. :thumb:

Thank God for the Dead Period......This is the best rule the TSSAA ever implemented.....This is exactly what the Pros do....get away from everything for a couple of weeks....head to Orange Beach and pick up a few tar balls....scope out some Babes......Then come on back, rested, energized, and ready to get it on!!......Those old codgers at TSSAA got it right on this one....Thanks for saving us from our own coaches!!

..........and don't forget cuttin' and staking them tobacco stalks, then hanging them heavy things while balancing on beams in those barns as well. :thumb:

I am their coach today. This is what we do. We do not have a weight room and when asked to put one in we took the $25,000 and spent it on other things. We flip tires and do a lot of army pt type training. Our kids like it and have gotten stronger in the process.