DEAD PERIOD BEGINS

FBCOACH

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kids don't need weight rooms anyway. They need to go work a job that requires some multi movement lifting and be outside in the heat. Players in the 60's and 70's did not even have weight rooms and I bet they were a lot tougher and stronger overall than the kids today. Players today can get all they need if they would simply run,run, and run some more,do plenty of push-ups,sit-ups and pull- ups. I bet the kids today that still work outside and actually work are stronger and in better shape than these weight room kids.

absolutely not true...a kid who trains with weights is not only stronger, bigger and potentially faster...but must less injury prone...and i am assuming that the weight program is done right...no doubt should run...but too much running at the wrong time (i.e. when trying to get bigger and stronger) can actually neutralize the weight trainning...it has to be done in conjuction with the weight program and over time so the kids do not pull something or get heavy legs, etc...i'd love to put a kid who is in a great trainning program...weights and speed and conditioning...up against a guy who does his push ups and runs, runs, runs...if your statement were true...every college in america or every sport in the world would be doing it...but NO one does...every where around the world (except in 3rd world countries) in every sport...weight trainnig is what they do! this is why athletes are bigger, faster, stronger and better than they were 25 years ago...

Kids don't need weight rooms anyway. They need to go work a job that requires some multi movement lifting and be outside in the heat. Players in the 60's and 70's did not even have weight rooms and I bet they were a lot tougher and stronger overall than the kids today. Players today can get all they need if they would simply run,run, and run some more,do plenty of push-ups,sit-ups and pull- ups. I bet the kids today that still work outside and actually work are stronger and in better shape than these weight room kids.

absolutely not true...a kid who trains with weights is not only stronger, bigger and potentially faster...but must less injury prone...and i am assuming that the weight program is done right...no doubt should run...but too much running at the wrong time (i.e. when trying to get bigger and stronger) can actually neutralize the weight trainning...it has to be done in conjuction with the weight program and over time so the kids do not pull something or get heavy legs, etc...i'd love to put a kid who is in a great trainning program...weights and speed and conditioning...up against a guy who does his push ups and runs, runs, runs...if your statement were true...every college in america or every sport in the world would be doing it...but NO one does...every where around the world (except in 3rd world countries) in every sport...weight trainnig is what they do! this is why athletes are bigger, faster, stronger and better than they were 25 years ago...

I will respect your opinion but I do not agree. I have been in coaching for over twenty years and have seen much more success in our training currently than the weight room workouts. I have tried both and have had less injuries and better results with our new program. Everything we do requires the whole body and simulates the movements needed in football. Most college and pro teams have started to implement these type programs in their training. I wish your team much success and encourage your coaches to look into this type of training. Our training resembles the strong man competition lifting versus the body building type training. We have had competitions with area schools in strong man competitions and we are overall much stronger and in better condition. I have found that most coaches are not really qualified for weights and I have seen kids injured trying to lift incorrectly with to much weight. Most lifts are single muscle development lifts and are not even sport specific. Once again ,best wishes for a great year.

I will respect your opinion but I do not agree. I have been in coaching for over twenty years and have seen much more success in our training currently than the weight room workouts. I have tried both and have had less injuries and better results with our new program. Everything we do requires the whole body and simulates the movements needed in football. Most college and pro teams have started to implement these type programs in their training. I wish your team much success and encourage your coaches to look into this type of training. Our training resembles the strong man competition lifting versus the body building type training. We have had competitions with area schools in strong man competitions and we are overall much stronger and in better condition. I have found that most coaches are not really qualified for weights and I have seen kids injured trying to lift incorrectly with to much weight. Most lifts are single muscle development lifts and are not even sport specific. Once again ,best wishes for a great year.

College and pro teams may have implemented the activities you speak of as a part of their S&C programs, but they have not replaced the weight room work with it. There is no substitute for an agressive weight lifting program. Those two training activities have completely different purposes and completely different results.

Most of the successful programs do both. Weight Room and PT type training.

In college we did both. 3 Days Weight Room; 2-3 days PT type training(flipping tires, climbing ropes, peg borards, push ups, situps, carrying each other, etc, etc,)

I agree that some coaches aren't qualified, but it's their job to educate themselves.

If he is better skilled and has the knowledge, he could make a bigger stonger or faster person look silly, you can never forget the part of experience and knowledge. I see it alot of times in wrestling, the bigger and stronger guy does not win. So an athlete can run and run and do basic exer to keep in shape and have the skills to better his opponent.