Oakland Football 2010

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall, a pretty good night of work for the Patriots. I believe the score was 28-3 among the starters, while the backups scored 7-0. Red Bank isnt as bad of a football team as some have indicated, they were able to move the ball somewhat, just was not able to sustain drives on offense. Here are some other things that I was able to take away from the scrimmage:

- Once again, Oakland was strong on offense, most notably in the passing game. Christian Adams built quite a rapport with Buddy Mitchell tonight. Screened Red Bank to death tonight, very solid execution from the WR's on getting out and making their blocks. Really did a good job of mixing up the playcalling. Dustin Henry was once again a factor as he took a WR screen pass and took it for a touchdown, he is the definite #2 guy behind Buddy when we pass the ball.

- Running game was really good all across the board tonight. Tee had a really nice run that set up Oakland's first touchdown. Dre looked decent out there, still looks somewhat tenative with the knee, hopefully that will change down the road. Khalil Newman looked good when given the chance. #34 Travon Willis and #22 Adam Parker looked really solid carrying the football when it was just the backups in there. Maybe a glimpse of the future for Oakland? Also some props for #2 Tyson Cope and #35 Kevin Veals, both had some nice runs on designed end arounds.

- Now here is where Oakland struggled: Penalties. It killed at least one Oakland drive, with the Patriots missing a field goal, and made it tough on themselves on a couple of other scoring drives. Not every game/scrimmage can run as smoothly as last week, but I feel like we took a step backward in this regard. Defense had some as well, so dont think I am just calling out the O-Line.

-The Secondary was absolutely phenomenal tonight. The catches they did give up were good throws by the offense and when the front 7 was able to produce bad throws, they picked the ball off (3 times). Major props to #33 Cori Crawford for making a SPECTACULAR one handed INT. Also for #31 DeJuan Jones and for #32 Andre Chesterfield, who returned a interception for a touchdown. More props for #54 Chris Watkins on a Fumble Recovery and Travon Willis for a FF, which led to a recovery by #25 Dreco Little.

I also want to throw a name out there that impressed me tonight: #7 Cliff Thompson, I think he will be a fixture on the Oakland defense for years to come. Other than that, I came away somewhat satisfied with this scrimmage. MBA should give Oakland a really good test heading into their opener against Ensworth