Teams breaking heat rules

bigredbird

I drove past three schools on the way to football practice this afternoon and all of them were practicing in the heat at an INDEX over 105. I want coaches to be put on notice, if you break the rules parents should report them to their administration.

All of the football world knows of your concern. :flower:

Check NFHS.org :flower:

When the heat index is above 104, all outside activities have to stop. :ph34r:

The legal results of a heat related incedent, if the rules are not followed, could end in a big-buck court proceding. :flower:

Edited by jimbo44

I drove past three schools on the way to football practice this afternoon and all of them were practicing in the heat at an INDEX over 105. I want coaches to be put on notice, if you break the rules parents should report them to their administration.

Coaches are required to carry monitors that tell them the exact heat index where they are at. Unless you were standing on their field with a monitor, I doubt you could tell exactly the heat index at that point. Weather.com or other phone weather services are not accurate with their heat indexes compared to the reading you get on football fields, cross country meets, golf matches, etc.

If you do have a concern then ask your school for the heat index log. All coaches are required to log the heat indexes throughout practice times and games.

Coaches are required to carry monitors that tell them the exact heat index where they are at. Unless you were standing on their field with a monitor, I doubt you could tell exactly the heat index at that point. Weather.com or other phone weather services are not accurate with their heat indexes compared to the reading you get on football fields, cross country meets, golf matches, etc.

If you do have a concern then ask your school for the heat index log. All coaches are required to log the heat indexes throughout practice times and games.

Yep. Unless we have a heat police force going site to site nobody can tell what the heat index really is at a given time in a given place unless they monitor it then and there. The heat index that media outlets report is the index from the particular spot where weather is monitored for their purposes. It's not necessarily 100% accurate for an entire area.

I've witnessed the team trainer (a professionally trained adult, not a student trainer) who works with our local team monitoring the heat index during practices myself. Coaches are doing it. In this day and time of lititigation at the drop of a hat they have to.

My advice would be to worry about one's own situation and let the coaches and school adminstrators deal with their own particular students. They are professionals and know the rules.

I agree with most posters on this thread (that shouldn't be a thread in the first place). 1) Counties have different policies regarding heat (the TSSAA puts out a suggested guideline, but they are not the enforcement in this scenario). 2) This is a double-edged sword...someone like you will be the same person complaining in week zero that the team looks out of shape, and before you cry foul, understand that heat acclamation is a key component in PREVENTING heat stroke (a lack of preparation on hydrating is usually the culprit). 4) As the early poster stated, these coaches like their job and their players, and no one that I know in the profession will willingly put their players at risk. 5)This message board is not the place to be put "on notice". If you have a real concern, you'll drive a little farther to the Board of Education in that county and voice it (and be told exactly what you are being told here).

The HEAT INDEX is 108 in Jackson, TN at 2 PM. It will go up to near 110 within an hour. Unless you practice indoors, the heat index will be above the minimum until after 6 PM. All teams practicing outside at this time are probably in violation of the rules. I don't know what the violation of the rules are but I can tell you what will happen if anyone in my county does it, they will probably lose their jobs. In 2007, GCHS lost a young man to the heat in practice. Our administration has adopted the state minimum for all outdoor activities.

Counties have different policies regarding heat (the TSSAA puts out a suggested guideline, but they are not the enforcement in this scenario).

According to the rules meeting I attended, this is no longer a "suggested" guideline, it is NOW REQUIRED OF ALL SCHOOL SYSTEMS!

TSSAA WEBSITE

The TSSAA Board of Control passed a proposal that requires a heat policy for all its member schools. The requirements of the policy include adjustments which must be made for activities depending on the heat index at the location where the activities take place.

The TSSAA Heat policy is the minimum standard that member schools must follow.

The TSSAA Heat policy will prohibit schools from practicing or competing when the heat index at the location of the activity is in excess of 104 degrees Fahrenheit.

Member schools must be in compliance with this policy beginning with the 2009-2010 TSSAA Fall Sports first practice dates.

Edited by ELA

According to the rules meeting I attended, this is no longer a "suggested" guideline, it is NOW REQUIRED OF ALL SCHOOL SYSTEMS!

It is required, but you misunderstood what I said. Let me give you some examples. Rutherford County is following TSSAA to the letter, and Mr. Gill is making the call overall. Sumner County is following TSSAA, but leaving to the coaches and trainers discretion. Wilson County put out a list of guidelines similar to TSSAA, but if you read into it, it is a tad more strict. Also, if my heat index in Rutherford County is 105, and I scrimmage in Monterey (take someone like Eagleville), where the heat index is 100, and that is very possible, who do I follow then? Common sense says where you play, but I have never heard clarity on that either. So, you get where I would say it is a guideline for the minimum, and some counties are enforcing stricter policies...

Edited by runninreb
  • Upvote 1

It is required, but you misunderstood what I said. Let me give you some examples. Rutherford County is following TSSAA to the letter, and Mr. Gill is making the call overall. Sumner County is following TSSAA, but leaving to the coaches and trainers discretion. Wilson County put out a list of guidelines similar to TSSAA, but if you read into it, it is a tad more strict. Also, if my heat index in Rutherford County is 105, and I scrimmage in Monterey (take someone like Eagleville), where the heat index is 100, and that is very possible, who do I follow then? Common sense says where you play, but I have never heard clarity on that either. So, you get where I would say it is a guideline for the minimum, and some counties are enforcing stricter policies...

I would think common sense is clarity enough. Why would it be based on where your from instead of where you're playing.