District 9AA AND 10AA

papadoc

Private schools have no 'home-grown.' I remember a few years ago when Goodpasture was accused of recruiting a certain number of athletes in one sport, but when you looked deeper, 90% had attended the school since before 6th grade. So, IF that's the case, what can you say?

Remember, cheaters NEVER prosper...in the long run.

Private schools do have a home grown. Let’s not forget that so many, like CPA, are church affiliated schools and a primary reason these schools started was to give their church families the opportunity at a faith based education and the extra-curricular activities associated with school. The church community wanted to see families grow and develop beginning in the elementary years with a transfer now and then thrown into the mix. As you pointed out this was a way they could defend any accusations of recruiting because the kids were together since the elementary days. This is what gave them their home grown talent to develop. The school climate in boys bb at CPA has shifted over the last few years. I saw them play a few times last year and saw only one senior who had played on the 8th grade team, the first team Maddux coached at CPA and only one junior from that year’s 7th grade team. Last year’s varsity bb roster had many transfers who came over in high school. Sounds like there are even more this year along with a number who came in as 8th graders who are now freshmen. Kind of sad when those schools lose the type of history and tradition the school was built upon. Won’t be able to deflect accusations of recruiting now with “these guys have been together since elementary school.â€

Look for pearl cohn boys to play hard and compete this year. They have a new coach whose is trying to get his new team excited about basketball as well as the community. He has made posters, bought new jerseys home, away,and practice jerseys..but what really has me excited about this new young coach. Is that he is not afraid to schedule the toughest teams in the state..for example they play in the memphis thanksgiving classic, the charles davis classic at belmont, and the ensworth tournment. They may have the toughest schedule in the whole region. but if u talk to coach practrad, he schedule it so tough because 1. he wants his guys to have fun and get excited about the program. the second reason is it will make his team stronger when it comes to district play..He has the school excited, the alumni excited however he does not have the community just yet..in a school that is known for there football and marching band traditions..it is certainly hard for the communtiy to get excited. Pearl Cohn has one of the biggest gyms in the district..but they do not sell out, not since the days of ron slay..even when pearl cohn went on that sub state run in 2007 they did not have one home game even reach the balcony level. Look for that to change in the coming years..and i do not think pearl cohn will finish last in ther district. they will upset some teams along the way..with there up tempo play, scrappy defense, good coaching, and most of all heart!

10 aa predictions

1 cpa

2 maplewood

3 whites creek

4 david libscomb

5 East lit

6 Mlk

7 Pearl Cohn

8 Hfa

9 stratford

Wow! excuse after excuse. White House got beat!!!! CPA played their 3rd game too, I don't hear any excuses from them :x And yes, i did say summer doesn't count. but you know what. i changed my mind is that ok?????? If I do recall John Jenkins outscored WH house by himself 2 out of the 3 times they played (when Jenkins was a sr.). Bradshaw is just as good as Jenkins was, and you're right about the dunks... Bradshaw will only have 9 and Lindsey will add about 5 or 6 more. WH couldn't hold CPA's jockstrap much less hang with them

CPA WILL BE VERY GOOD, BUT IF YOU THINK BRADSHAW IS AS GOOD AS JENKINS YOU NEED TO GET OFF THE CRACK. AS FAR AS WHITE HOUSE GOES THEY WILL BE JUST FINE THIS YEAR.

I will go with

9AA

1 White House

2 Sycamore

3 Macon County

4 Greenbrier

5 Goodpasture

6 Westmoreland

10AA

1 Maplewood

2 East Lit

3 MLK

4 Lipscomb

5 Whites Creek

6 Hume Fogg

7 Stratford

8 Pearl Cohn

9 CPA - does not merit consideration

9aa a real toss-up, but I go with White House in a race that will be tight. With all that Greenbrier has gone through, I do hope they surprise everybody. As is with Maplewood, Lipscomb does not rebuild they reload, in Lipscomb case with great coaching and a great system for high school basketball. No way they finish last so I am going to move them up to the middle of the pack. As far as CPA, who can't win games with recruiting and transfers, but that college type approach certainly does not set well with me. High school basketball is about developing your home grown talent. I am certainly not that impressed with the coaching either, a very simplistic system. Sure they have won alot of games over the past few years, but it is about being more talented than the opponent. How many big games have they won or how many games have they won without more talent on the floor? Picked to win state by many two years ago and could not even get out of their region. Sounds like they got talent again, but all dependent on transfers now. I for one am not impressed.

How is metroballer?

Look for pearl cohn boys to play hard and compete this year. They have a new coach whose is trying to get his new team excited about basketball as well as the community. He has made posters, bought new jerseys home, away,and practice jerseys..but what really has me excited about this new young coach. Is that he is not afraid to schedule the toughest teams in the state..for example they play in the memphis thanksgiving classic, the charles davis classic at belmont, and the ensworth tournment. They may have the toughest schedule in the whole region. but if u talk to coach practrad, he schedule it so tough because 1. he wants his guys to have fun and get excited about the program. the second reason is it will make his team stronger when it comes to district play..He has the school excited, the alumni excited however he does not have the community just yet..in a school that is known for there football and marching band traditions..it is certainly hard for the communtiy to get excited. Pearl Cohn has one of the biggest gyms in the district..but they do not sell out, not since the days of ron slay..even when pearl cohn went on that sub state run in 2007 they did not have one home game even reach the balcony level. Look for that to change in the coming years..and i do not think pearl cohn will finish last in ther district. they will upset some teams along the way..with there up tempo play, scrappy defense, good coaching, and most of all heart!

10 aa predictions

1 cpa

2 maplewood

3 whites creek

4 david libscomb

5 East lit

6 Mlk

7 Pearl Cohn

8 Hfa

9 stratford

Glad to hear that PC is improving their program.

I think East Lit will be tough to beat this year and would have them at #2 or #3. Maplewood has to be #1 until proven otherwise (they may not end up there). They have lost two great players, but had a pretty deep bench. CPA has some talent, but need to see how their inside game develops.

How did the rest of district 9 do tonight? I saw where Sycamore and Greenbrier lost by 17 and 1 respectively. Did any other teams in district 9 play? If so, does anyone have scores?

Coach T is wrong! Sycamore just dropped Station Camp by 17. There is just a miscommunication with the scores, Sycamore won.

Coach T is wrong! Sycamore just dropped Station Camp by 17. There is just a miscommunication with the scores, Sycamore won.

Oh, ok that makes sense. When I saw that score i was a bit blown away. because there is no way Sycamore loses to Station Camp. They are at least 15 pts better than them lol. Good to hear they represented the district well tonight

Glad to hear that PC is improving their program.

I think East Lit will be tough to beat this year and would have them at #2 or #3. Maplewood has to be #1 until proven otherwise (they may not end up there). They have lost two great players, but had a pretty deep bench. CPA has some talent, but need to see how their inside game develops.

Yeah we know CPA has talent, just don't like the way they got it. Good to know in these tough economic times all those transfer families can afford that private school tuition at a DI privatte school where athetes aren't eligible for even need based financial aid like the DII schools.