McMinn Central

PUMMELKING

My son Plays football at Central and is a JR git off the Basketball the sophomores Jrs & Seniors have 6th period work out.

Ok so they have workouts: Jr and Sr but the whole team like BB. For that matter why do the other sports not have the opportunity to practice during school and make an earlier night for the kids and coaches?

Now the boys and girls are different, girls practice alot, but when boys BB season is over they have been known to roam around.

Ok so they have workouts: Jr and Sr but the whole team like BB. For that matter why do the other sports not have the opportunity to practice during school and make an earlier night for the kids and coaches?

Now the boys and girls are different, girls practice alot, but when boys BB season is over they have been known to roam around.

How would you fix this? From my understanding students do not even have a study hall anymore. I agree with your premise though. I think it would be great if these student athletes could have practice starting during their last period. Block scheduling may work, rotating the coaches during seasons. It seems like it would be tough though, being able to get all the football coaches an open period to do this. For the other sports it wouldn't be that hard. I don't know the answer. Maybe you have a way that would make this possible PUMMELKING. I think the kids would benifit from this, but I am not going to use the argument that one program is getting better treatment. It is hard to compare the numbers of football players to basketball. Seems like it would be hard to get all of these students class schedules worked out to make this happen.

this is down right comical to read some of the excuses people can come up with. DO SOME OF YOU PEOPLE HONESTLY BELIEVE THAT THE TIME THAT PRACTICE TAKES PLACE HAS AN IMPACT ON WINS AND LOSSES??????? my god people this is absurd! it sounds like some are jealous of the success of basketball. Newsflash PK basketball was winning 25 plus games a year when there was no 6th period practice. EXCUSES ARE FOR LOSERS!!! Please someone enlighten me on the advantage of practicing at 2:15 instead of 3:30????? does it make the product on the field any better by practicing earlier????

this is down right comical to read some of the excuses people can come up with. DO SOME OF YOU PEOPLE HONESTLY BELIEVE THAT THE TIME THAT PRACTICE TAKES PLACE HAS AN IMPACT ON WINS AND LOSSES??????? my god people this is absurd! it sounds like some are jealous of the success of basketball. Newsflash PK basketball was winning 25 plus games a year when there was no 6th period practice. EXCUSES ARE FOR LOSERS!!! Please someone enlighten me on the advantage of practicing at 2:15 instead of 3:30????? does it make the product on the field any better by practicing earlier????

For me Smokinote it is not a matter of the impact on the wins and losses, I am talking all sports - just so that the kids can get home and not be at school until 7 or 8. I know your comments are kinda directed at PK but I think everyone could benifit with practicing last period.

No one is making excuses!!!!! Just stating some facts that happen to be in place at Central. The times of practices do not have impact on wins or losses. But the amoutn of rest an athlete gets could in the long run.

And you say jealous of success of the basketball?? What is there to be JEALOUS of, they have not won a state title just runner-up same as for the football team, just look in the trophy case in the lobby!!!

If all sports practiced at the same time then you tell me the difference.

How would you fix this? From my understanding students do not even have a study hall anymore. I agree with your premise though. I think it would be great if these student athletes could have practice starting during their last period. Block scheduling may work, rotating the coaches during seasons. It seems like it would be tough though, being able to get all the football coaches an open period to do this. For the other sports it wouldn't be that hard. I don't know the answer. Maybe you have a way that would make this possible PUMMELKING. I think the kids would benifit from this, but I am not going to use the argument that one program is getting better treatment. It is hard to compare the numbers of football players to basketball. Seems like it would be hard to get all of these students class schedules worked out to make this happen.

No study hall anymore not during sixth period.

Any sport could be given equal opportunity, Tennis. Track, Baseball, Softball, Wrestling, Soccer, Volleyball, Golf, Cross Country or even Cheerleading or Band.

Not sure how it could be created, first the parents would have to go to the admin and the county board to demand equal opportunity. It is a big factor for kids and coaches to have the extra time at home with families.

I know of schools that rotate with each semester. First semester they teach football, wrestling/weight training. Second semester they teach basketball, track. Go over fundamentals for the sports give history and if only the athletes sign up, then they conduct practice elements during those blocks or periods. It is actually il legal to practice during school hours that is why they have a class and teach or just cover certain areas of practice that will not have to be re-covered after school. But the class is open to all in the school to choose to take or not, where central only limits sixth period basketball to the players on the team and if they quit the team they are taken out of the class and moved usually into weight training. Now is that favortism or selection for that program I differ.

You could offer classes other than just 6th period to cover areas of the game. Or let other coaches have the chance to hold 6th period classes.

No study hall anymore not during sixth period.

Any sport could be given equal opportunity, Tennis. Track, Baseball, Softball, Wrestling, Soccer, Volleyball, Golf, Cross Country or even Cheerleading or Band.

Not sure how it could be created, first the parents would have to go to the admin and the county board to demand equal opportunity. It is a big factor for kids and coaches to have the extra time at home with families.

I know of schools that rotate with each semester. First semester they teach football, wrestling/weight training. Second semester they teach basketball, track. Go over fundamentals for the sports give history and if only the athletes sign up, then they conduct practice elements during those blocks or periods. It is actually il legal to practice during school hours that is why they have a class and teach or just cover certain areas of practice that will not have to be re-covered after school. But the class is open to all in the school to choose to take or not, where central only limits sixth period basketball to the players on the team and if they quit the team they are taken out of the class and moved usually into weight training. Now is that favortism or selection for that program I differ.

You could offer classes other than just 6th period to cover areas of the game. Or let other coaches have the chance to hold 6th period classes.

I would rather they take out basketball & football 6th period and replace it with a class for learning to get them prepared for College and a job. Don't get me wrong I want my kids and they do to play football track backetball etc I just think they need the education more thats what they are there for. Doing sports is great for the kids they learn working together and sacrificing to achieve a goal.

I dont think the time of practice matters at all. If you put the hours in you will see results, and its not like these kids have homework. Centrals classes are a joke, all of them, but it does seem like a little favortism to basketball to give them an easy a and practice. O well you cant make everyone happy. I'm not really concerned about anything other than how to make the high school team better. My only solution still happens to be the little leagues. Some how we need the 8th graders to play together and keeping them together rather than losing them and letting good players roam the halls like whats going on now. You cant honestly tell me there arent a few kids that are in the halls that wouldnt add some w's on the record. The fastest kid in the school aint playing or the strongest. Yes they had their opportunity to come out, but this is high school. Coach goodin cant expect the kids to come out without his help in recruiting. He thinks that if they dont come out on their own he dont want them. He needs to realize these are kids and that they dont know what they want. He needs to give them a little push toward the football field.

I dont think the time of practice matters at all. If you put the hours in you will see results, and its not like these kids have homework. Centrals classes are a joke, all of them, but it does seem like a little favortism to basketball to give them an easy a and practice. O well you cant make everyone happy. I'm not really concerned about anything other than how to make the high school team better. My only solution still happens to be the little leagues. Some how we need the 8th graders to play together and keeping them together rather than losing them and letting good players roam the halls like whats going on now. You cant honestly tell me there arent a few kids that are in the halls that wouldnt add some w's on the record. The fastest kid in the school aint playing or the strongest. Yes they had their opportunity to come out, but this is high school. Coach goodin cant expect the kids to come out without his help in recruiting. He thinks that if they dont come out on their own he dont want them. He needs to realize these are kids and that they dont know what they want. He needs to give them a little push toward the football field.

I get torn on this one playmaker. While I do think it is important to try to encourage all kids to play your sport, if a kid does not want to be there most of the time their not, mentally. I too would like to see more kids that are roaming the halls, if they can, come out and help this team. The other part agrees with Coach Goodin, if this is even the case cause' I don't know that he does or does not try to talk to some of these kids about playing, I would rather them not disturb kids who want to come have fun, give good effort, and make memories of a life time. I don't believe in teaching kids to accept losing at all, but my point is this - this is not college where kids are given an education to come put in the work or pro where they are getting paid, everyone of those kids on that field have made a choice to come out a represent themselves, family, school, and community. I want to work with those kids! In the end I think that at the high school level coaches with this philosophy will draw more kids and the success will come. Sometimes certain kids that are hard to control will bring your program down and make coaching no fun at all. Which do you think is more successful, a season with 10 wins and a first round exit or a .500 season with kids that play their guts out and want to give all to their team? I guess, at the high school level, for me it is hard to define success.

I get torn on this one playmaker. While I do think it is important to try to encourage all kids to play your sport, if a kid does not want to be there most of the time their not, mentally. I too would like to see more kids that are roaming the halls, if they can, come out and help this team. The other part agrees with Coach Goodin, if this is even the case cause' I don't know that he does or does not try to talk to some of these kids about playing, I would rather them not disturb kids who want to come have fun, give good effort, and make memories of a life time. I don't believe in teaching kids to accept losing at all, but my point is this - this is not college where kids are given an education to come put in the work or pro where they are getting paid, everyone of those kids on that field have made a choice to come out a represent themselves, family, school, and community. I want to work with those kids! In the end I think that at the high school level coaches with this philosophy will draw more kids and the success will come. Sometimes certain kids that are hard to control will bring your program down and make coaching no fun at all. Which do you think is more successful, a season with 10 wins and a first round exit or a .500 season with kids that play their guts out and want to give all to their team? I guess, at the high school level, for me it is hard to define success.

Well im kinda tore myself with what goodin is doing in the fact that he wants kids that want to be out there. but nobody wants to be on a losing team so, he's got to recruit some kids out there. maybe the ones with a checkered past give them a short leash. but i want to see goodin swollow some pride and take a chance on some kids and get them out there. and success to me by the way is getting to college anyway you can, winning, and giving my all so i dont have to go back to a friday night game and wish i had played harder. id also like to see goodin address the little league but i think ive made that clear lol

I would not say it is a Goodin thing. More of a total Coach commitment at Central. All coaches should get the kids out to be part of athletics and improve their self confidence and school spirit.

The athlets who are students should be held accountable for their actions/behaviors. Dont let them get by with stuff behavior or grades to perform on the athletic field no matter what sport or last name they may have.

If the athletes follow all the rules and are disciplined accordingly for not the other kids will want to be like them and want to partake in all athletic events. If its as little as dress code or whatever, kids do look up to higher classmen and especially if they are on the team.

When Coach Derrick came in no one was wearing letter jackets around the school, heck seemed ashamed of being known for going to central. Then lots of kids started to wear them around the school and town.

Kids do want to be part of a winning thing, and hard to keep morale when all is in loseing.

All Coaches get behind the kids to come out and be productive.

I have always felt no kid can bad mouth the team for their performance if they are not part of it. So all need incouragement to be part of and pushed to better the school and community.

I would not say it is a Goodin thing. More of a total Coach commitment at Central. All coaches should get the kids out to be part of athletics and improve their self confidence and school spirit.

The athlets who are students should be held accountable for their actions/behaviors. Dont let them get by with stuff behavior or grades to perform on the athletic field no matter what sport or last name they may have.

If the athletes follow all the rules and are disciplined accordingly for not the other kids will want to be like them and want to partake in all athletic events. If its as little as dress code or whatever, kids do look up to higher classmen and especially if they are on the team.

When Coach Derrick came in no one was wearing letter jackets around the school, heck seemed ashamed of being known for going to central. Then lots of kids started to wear them around the school and town.

Kids do want to be part of a winning thing, and hard to keep morale when all is in loseing.

All Coaches get behind the kids to come out and be productive.

I have always felt no kid can bad mouth the team for their performance if they are not part of it. So all need incouragement to be part of and pushed to better the school and community.

Before I make this statement, I want it to be known that I like Coach Derrick as a person.

When he was at Central, he was blessed with much talent and everyone knows it. Any coach could have done well with that bunch of boys. If I remember correctly, he dealt with problem after problem. There were even problems within the locker, off the field, and other issues. Morale may have been better because of winning but at times morality took a hit.