BIG 8 2010/2011

wkktnvolsfan

I have watched Volunteer play a couple of times this year. I do not know which player your daughter is. From what I have seen, I believe Ashley Lindholm could play college ball at the NAIA level (Milligan, King,etc.). No offense, but none of the other players I have seen are obvious college prospects. However, I have only seen them a couple of times and may have overlooked some talent. There are very few Division 1 players that come out of East Tennessee. Division 1 scholarships are pretty much free rides. Many East Tennessee players go to NCAA Division 2 or 3 or NAIA schools on "scholarship". Many of those schools are private and cost $30,000 to $40,000 a year. The "scholarship" may pay 1/2 to 3/4 of that, but the parents end up paying the rest. The fact that your daughter wants to play college ball is important, but obviously does not guarantee it will happen. Hard work, dedication, and hustle can take you a long way if you have some level of natural talent. I would say to get in the best physical condition you can, add strength through light weight training, and work on the fundamentals (shooting, ball-handling, passing, post footwork, boxing out, defensive skills, etc....) on a regular schedule outside team practices and in the off-season. Try to find a good travel team that is well coached for some extra practice and exposure outside the school season.. Go as hard as you can in practice and in games. Listen to your coaches and be a good teammate. Keep up your grades. Do all those things and you will go as far as your God-given talents will take you. Some players parents pay private tutors to put them through in-season and off-season workouts, if the parents themselves do not have the ability to do it. Often these people are former or current coaches doing it for money or just because they love it. Some current college players also offer lessons to make some spending money. Ask around and see if any of those resources are available in the Church Hill area. "Where there is a will, there is a way". Good Luck.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After beating South, ready to bring the cooler back out Falcon mom? Seriously, you'll have to beat someone besides South, Boone, or Crockett to sell me some Kool-Aid. Take down Central and you've got an argument for 4th place.

Like 17 says, you better do something besides school ball if you want a scholarship.

After beating South, ready to bring the cooler back out Falcon mom? Seriously, you'll have to beat someone besides South, Boone, or Crockett to sell me some Kool-Aid. Take down Central and you've got an argument for 4th place.

Like 17 says, you better do something besides school ball if you want a scholarship.

Cooler in storage, I've learned a lot about bball. It is very obvious that the score very seldom reflects the game and no matter how many points a player scores if they are constantly turning the ball over and getting beat on defense they can't score enough to offset that. I took for granted because of the girls from here that have gotten offers to play college level ball the last couple of years she would get more from high school ball. Researching other avenues for daughter, any names or ideas appreciated. Central is possible, they struggled a bit against Boone.

Momo:

In your play area there in the big 8 there are 4 seniors that 2 have signed to play DI college and 2 signed for DII. Those 4 seniors played with 4 other seniors from surrounding areas in the offseason. Of the 8 players, 4 signed DI and 4 signed DII. It took hard work and commitment to play, practice and compete in the offseason from high school. There are advantages and disadvantages. But it is all that the player puts into it. By you daughter practicing and playing in the offseason can only increase her chances. Find a good offseason program that will get her some good instruction and exposure... If you want some suggestions, just ask and I am sure there will be plenty give you guidance to different programs....

Mom, you are not the only one in a dead end high school program. In fact your coach at least understands some basic basketball. And that is to score you have to shoot. My daughters coach tells her not to shoot. And when she says the hay with it and shoots...he takes her out. She's the fastest person on the team (maybe the fastest person in the Big 8) and is a quarter horse that does not run out of gas. She may play 1.5 quarters a game. Last year she averaged 15 points a game and had a few double doubles and one triple double and stayed on the floor without a break. He would constantly tell her to slow the game down. It gives me indigestion to watch her play because she doesn't care anymore. She is living for the summer league. She has a few DI prospects with invites to visit and they did not come from seeing her in high school ball. I have heard you are playing with us this summer and if it turns out to be so we look forward to it. As NE15 said, all the superstars are gone with all getting a scholly so it is wide open. Hope the rest of the season is good for you.

Mom, you are not the only one in a dead end high school program. In fact your coach at least understands some basic basketball. And that is to score you have to shoot. My daughters coach tells her not to shoot. And when she says the hay with it and shoots...he takes her out. She's the fastest person on the team (maybe the fastest person in the Big 8) and is a quarter horse that does not run out of gas. She may play 1.5 quarters a game. Last year she averaged 15 points a game and had a few double doubles and one triple double and stayed on the floor without a break. He would constantly tell her to slow the game down. It gives me indigestion to watch her play because she doesn't care anymore. She is living for the summer league. She has a few DI prospects with invites to visit and they did not come from seeing her in high school ball. I have heard you are playing with us this summer and if it turns out to be so we look forward to it. As NE15 said, all the superstars are gone with all getting a scholly so it is wide open. Hope the rest of the season is good for you.

I am not who you think I am. Don't won't anyone to jump to conclusions and cause problems. It does look like with all the girls that play whether A, AA, AAA...etc in NE TN that do get offers at college level it is done on their own outside of high school. You are also the second parent to tell me their daughter was told by their coach to play down to level of other girls on team. Why would a coach do that? I don't think I will have that problem, but if I did, me, the coach and athletic director would be having a heart to heart and that is putting it lightly.

There are examples of players that did not play AAU and received college scholarships, including D1. One recent player was Johneshia Good of Science Hill. She never participated on an AAU team but she had a few D1 schools that showed interest in her and eventually earned a D1 scholarship with ETSU. AAU does provide a student athlete opportunities to be seen by more college coaches but if you have the skill level to play at a certain level you will have that opportunity because word will spread about your talent. Sometimes that word has to be spread by the high school coach by making phone calls and sending film to prospective colleges.

Victory, that is all well and good. But you made the key statement when you said "Sometimes that word has to be spread by the high school coach by making phone calls and sending film to prospective colleges."

There are ALOT of coaches out there that do not and will not do that. Some are of the attitude that it is not their job to get you a scholarship. So, it is up to the player and the parent to get it done. Chances of you having a college coach other than the locals around here to see your child in your gym is slim....That coming from College coaches that were recruiting my own daughter. If you want to venture away from here, then you have to play away from here or play in some large holiday tournaments that draw other coaches in. Remember, when your playing in season, colleges are too. They do most of their travel and recruiting when they are not on the road with with own teams....Do some checking on what it takes to be recruited. Check out sites such as NCAA.org,(they also list all the rules for recruiting), BeRecruited.com (they have some literature of do's and don'ts) You have to educate and do the footwork yourself. Not all high school coaches are going to do it for you......

Victory, I feel most can agree that Science Hill has the quentesential basketball program in this area. We all know how the off season works in that system. However, aside from Bristol and possibly Elizabethton there are no other programs that provide the support you speak of. NE15 and I can name you each and every girl who got a DI or DII ride in the past 8 years and what AAU team they played on. Good is the only prospect to come out of any non AAU affiliated program. She did not stay at ETSU very long but that is another story. She has talent and it was readily seen as you state. ETSU's coach has a knack for seeing the local talent. The testimony comes from the girls who have already gone through a college program. They will tell you in no uncertain terms that high school ball is just a place to practice to keep in shape for the summer AAU league. Sad it is this way but yes, it is the gospel. The Science Hill girls should feel priveledged to have a coach that has it all. The rest of us have to do what we have to do.

Little kool aid still left in girls' system.

I've been asked to bring it back, but after last night, I want the girls to do it on their own.

Beating Central puts you solidly in 4th place in my book. Take care of business second time through the schedule and the Lady Falcons can make it official.

Had my doubts about DB early, but don't think anyone can take 3rd place from them now. Having six seniors should make a difference and box scores show they are. Without a mass exodus from somewhere (South?), they are in big trouble next season though.

Beating Central puts you solidly in 4th place in my book. Take care of business second time through the schedule and the Lady Falcons can make it official.

Had my doubts about DB early, but don't think anyone can take 3rd place from them now. Having six seniors should make a difference and box scores show they are. Without a mass exodus from somewhere (South?), they are in big trouble next season though.

I don't think so...Central beat the kool aid kids the first go and Boone beat the kool aid kids the other night and Central beat Boone so that sounds like a tangled mess if you ask me. I say fourth thru seventh is still a toss up.