BIG 8 2010/2011

wkktnvolsfan

With regular season over whats everyones thoughts on:

1-POY

2-All conference

3-Coach of Yr

4-Top underclassman

I would have to give my vote for player of the year to Enjelica Reid or Shy Copney. They have led SHHS to back to back regular season titles. All conference could go to just about anyone. SH-Hensley, Goodman, Copney, Reid TH-Burleson, Mitchell, Easterling DB-Gray Osborne, SC-Kesner -SS Campbell Fletcher Vol.- Linholm Boone- their shooter, not sure of her name, DC- Shipley Coach of the Year i would give it to Barnwell or Myers. He has taken Volunteer to #5 almost #4 in the league this year. As for Underlassman Tarter! That kid is special. Does anyone know the seeding for the tournament. I saw today it looked like

1 SH or TH

2 TN or SH

3 DB

4 Central

5 Vol. or South

6. South or Vol.

7. Boone

8. Crockett

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to give my vote for player of the year to Enjelica Reid or Shy Copney. They have led SHHS to back to back regular season titles. All conference could go to just about anyone. SH-Hensley, Goodman, Copney, Reid TH-Burleson, Mitchell, Easterling DB-Gray Osborne, SC-Kesner -SS Campbell Fletcher Vol.- Linholm Boone- their shooter, not sure of her name, DC- Shipley Coach of the Year i would give it to Barnwell or Myers. He has taken Volunteer to #5 almost #4 in the league this year. As for Underlassman Tarter! That kid is special. Does anyone know the seeding for the tournament. I saw today it looked like

1 SH or TH

2 TN or SH

3 DB

4 Central

5 Vol. or South

6. South or Vol.

7. Boone

8. Crockett

I agree with most of your picks, except Myers. 5th or 6th on a coin toss in a weak conference from 3 down and only really winning 2 conference games against mediocre teams (Central and South). The others wins against Crockett and Boone were gimmmes. If Volunteer would have finished a solid 4Th I would have agreed.I would give coach of year to SH coach or maybe Crockett coach for keeping a team on floor during a tough season.

1-POY

2-All conference

3-Coach of Yr

4-Top underclassman

Not sure what Mac's status is.

1. POY - Blakely Burleson
  2. All Conference - Not sure how many are chosen but most of them should come from Science Hill.
  3. COY - Barry Wade
  4. Underclassman of the Year (UOY) - Someone from Science Hill.

IMOP, Burleson has no peer when it comes to the all around quentisential player. Outside of the Hill I would rank Mac, Julie Osborne, and Kestner 1, 2 and 3 in that order for AC. Maybe the other DB post is neck and neck. But of those 4 Mac is clearly more valuable on the whole floor. Science Hill obvously has most of the AC team in place. I choose Barry Wade because he did more with less. Barnwell is wonderful but with the talent he had at his disposal he should have been untouchable. Clearly Barry Wade is the COY. UOY...I don't think there is even any competition for this award. Science Hill all the way. Just my opinion.

1-POY

2-All conference

3-Coach of Yr

4-Top underclassman

1-POY. I would think that about 5-6 girls could win this. Hopefully the powers that decide look at overall statistics, efficiency and the one that wins and shines in the 'BIG' games. They need to ask, 'What did this player do against the top teams?', ie THS, SHHS and DB. Who has the total game? Total stats in the biggest games! Got a couple from THS and 3 or 4 from SH that could be this player. A great team player that can score, gives it up consistantly at the right time and plays with toughness 100% of the time. A rebounder, a thief that is always ready to pounce! Now thats a ball player! Lets pick a winner!

2-All Conference. Burleson, Mitchell, Reid, Copney, Hensley, Tarter, Osborne, Gray, Kestner, Campbell,

Lindholm to name a few

3-Wade or Barnwell...

4-UC. Tarter. Period.

2. All Conference - Not sure how many are chosen but most of them should come from Science Hill.
  3. COY - Barry Wade

IMOP, Burleson has no peer when it comes to the all around quentisential player. Outside of the Hill I would rank Mac, Julie Osborne, and Kestner 1, 2 and 3 in that order for AC. Maybe the other DB post is neck and neck. But of those 4 Mac is clearly more valuable on the whole floor. Science Hill obvously has most of the AC team in place. I choose Barry Wade because he did more with less. Barnwell is wonderful but with the talent he had at his disposal he should have been untouchable. Clearly Barry Wade is the COY. UOY...I don't think there is even any competition for this award. Science Hill all the way. Just my opinion.

A few points just for discussion: Barry Wade does a fine job but he has a D2, NAIA, and future D1 player on the roster (possible other college players in the underclass ranks); UOY - Ashlee Mitchell- to not mention her would be hard to do- has broken the school record for single season assists (missed by 2 last year as a freshman), re-broke her own record she set as a freshman for single season steals, has either set or is just a few away from being the CAREER leader in assists and steals, all while averaging 16+ ppg and nearly 7 rbs from the pg position! ; POY - see notes on Ashlee Mitchell for all around player; All-conference- think Mitchell and Honeycutt should both be considered.

The young ladies you mentioned are all very clearly awesome players too- just adding some to the discussion and not taking anuthing from the ones you discussed.

A few points just for discussion: Barry Wade does a fine job but he has a D2, NAIA, and future D1 player on the roster (possible other college players in the underclass ranks); UOY - Ashlee Mitchell- to not mention her would be hard to do- has broken the school record for single season assists (missed by 2 last year as a freshman), re-broke her own record she set as a freshman for single season steals, has either set or is just a few away from being the CAREER leader in assists and steals, all while averaging 16+ ppg and nearly 7 rbs from the pg position! ; POY - see notes on Ashlee Mitchell for all around player; All-conference- think Mitchell and Honeycutt should both be considered.

The young ladies you mentioned are all very clearly awesome players too- just adding some to the discussion and not taking anuthing from the ones you discussed.

Panther,

Youve made a great point. Not only should Mitchell be considered as POY...considering she's just a soph, she should be a top vote getter for UC too! She does fill up a stat sheet! Ball is not all about scoring!

Panther,

Youve made a great point. Not only should Mitchell be considered as POY...considering she's just a soph, she should be a top vote getter for UC too! She does fill up a stat sheet! Ball is not all about scoring!

Well the TH people will pick TH of course. You say look at stats. What did Burleson or Mitchell do at TH against SH? Burleson did not get her points till the end and Mitchell was a nonfactor. Copney blew up DB both times they played and had solid games both times against TH. As for the COY you would pick a someone who has college players? They are seniors so they should have offers. SH will have at least 5 maybe 6 by the time they are seniors. So to do more with underclassmen is way more impressive than with a "seasoned" time IMO. Last year i think Devine got it and I dont think she deserved it so i am not sure what people are looking for. So who knows!

Well the TH people will pick TH of course. You say look at stats. What did Burleson or Mitchell do at TH against SH? Burleson did not get her points till the end and Mitchell was a nonfactor. Copney blew up DB both times they played and had solid games both times against TH. As for the COY you would pick a someone who has college players? They are seniors so they should have offers. SH will have at least 5 maybe 6 by the time they are seniors. So to do more with underclassmen is way more impressive than with a "seasoned" time IMO. Last year i think Devine got it and I dont think she deserved it so i am not sure what people are looking for. So who knows!

I agree with you TommyMan I don't think Devine deserved it either. Just because she deserved volleyball I think they automatically give her basketball but who knows what they based it on. I said from the start that Reid would be a contender for POY AND SHE IS! I believe they are blowing Mitchell's stats up like they have all season. She is an all around player but like someone said what did she do in the BIG games. She was non existing in a few so that is where Burleson is better. Is Mitchell really avg 16ppg? Don't think so.

3. COY - Barry Wade

Not sure why you would put Osborne in there when she has done very little this year. Gray deserves it more and she should not be cheated. POY should be the Reid girl from SH unless they want to give it too a senior in that case it would be tough. Mac, Kestner, and Burleson are all good players. Burleson has alot of help from her teammates so her job is alot easier. Mac and Kestner have to play more roles for their teams and it makes it alot harder on them.

I agree with you TommyMan I don't think Devine deserved it either. Just because she deserved volleyball I think they automatically give her basketball but who knows what they based it on. I said from the start that Reid would be a contender for POY AND SHE IS! I believe they are blowing Mitchell's stats up like they have all season. She is an all around player but like someone said what did she do in the BIG games. She was non existing in a few so that is where Burleson is better. Is Mitchell really avg 16ppg? Don't think so.

You are right, my bad. Mitchell averages just over 13 ppg.

I don't agree with building up one player by putting down another. I was simply making observations and adding names that in my opinion had been glaringly omitted. Good balanced teams have different players step up every night in normal and big games. One of the girls from SH that was mentioned did nothing against DB last year and turned around and tore them up at least once this year- that's basketball.

Your conference is blessed to have a ton of talent both upper and lower classmen. Miss Mitchell clearly deserves to at least be in the discussion. In the end, it matters not. When she signs her scholarship papers her college coach will see her rebound, defend, turn people over, and distribute the ball like no other and score as appropriate. Doubt they'll care about the district awards. Also, knowing miss Mitchell as I do she'll be anxious to improve on being a "non-factor" in BIG games.

You are right, my bad. Mitchell averages just over 13 ppg.

I don't agree with building up one player by putting down another. I was simply making observations and adding names that in my opinion had been glaringly omitted. Good balanced teams have different players step up every night in normal and big games. One of the girls from SH that was mentioned did nothing against DB last year and turned around and tore them up at least once this year- that's basketball.

Your conference is blessed to have a ton of talent both upper and lower classmen. Miss Mitchell clearly deserves to at least be in the discussion. In the end, it matters not. When she signs her scholarship papers her college coach will see her rebound, defend, turn people over, and distribute the ball like no other and score as appropriate. Doubt they'll care about the district awards. Also, knowing miss Mitchell as I do she'll be anxious to improve on being a "non-factor" in BIG games.

I believe I stated the fact that Miss Mitchell was an all- around player, did I not? Let me say again that she is an all- around player and has been a huge asset to TH. You are right, everyone has games where they are non-existing and that is where TH AND SH have a hugh advantage over the other teams. Someone else always steps up! I believe Mitchell will be all-conf. if not POY but I know she will be in the mix so noone is leaving her out.

According to the tricitiessports facebook post, Science Hill and Volunteer won the coin tosses today so the bracket should look like this:

#1 Science Hill vs. #8 Crockett

#4 Sullivan Central vs. #5 Volunteer

#2 Tennessee High vs. #7 Boone

#3 Dobyns-Bennett vs. #6 Sullivan South

Tournament time! Good luck to everyone!