Blount County Schools Football

PhoosballPhan

Jaik eye cain't speek fer Gray...Butt tha garbige servuss wayed hevvy on hiz mind...Eye no fer shore.....And az fer az enny "pindulum swingin'.......Eye ain't seen hit......Butt we need two start a moove inn two Mairvul campain.....Axles maiks hit easier two....Tha knew skool cunfiggure-rayshun will meen moore room at Mairvul Hi....... :thumb:

Stars,

Any truth to the rumor that we can move down to a lower classification after the freshmen get moved off campus? I doubt the school would want to, but it could affect not only high school sports but also the middle school if they also lose their 7th graders. I wonder if this was considered by the school board in "THE PLAN".

The pendulum swing is starting in the middle schools. With 400+ kids in your future graduating class, it becomes hard to even contribute on the chess team. I heard their were 60+ trying out for the 7th grade (one grade) basketball team this year. Times have definitely changed, and parents appear more fearful their kids may get lost in the shuffle.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may get the stupidest post of the day award. You must not have played football. Are you saying the scout teams don't contribute to winning the rings? Without them you don't win the rings. There are alot of kids at AHS and MHS that never step foot on the field, but they are just as important to the "team" as any other player. I guess if you have never been there you would not understand.

Yes, Rebelsman, I played and started all four years. I know how important the team aspect is and I know that you have to have a scout team, but did you aspire to be a scout team player for all three or four years of your high school career? All I am saying is this, I am a competitor and if my ability would not get me on the field at one place but I could go down the road and get a shot at playing, I am going to where I can play. As strongx said, not many of these kids are going to be playing past the high school level anyway so why spend it standing on the sideline. With the nerve I struck with you, it sounds as if you may know a little something about never stepping on the field. Go back to the little league and just have fun.

:roflol:

Yes, Rebelsman, I played and started all four years. I know how important the team aspect is and I know that you have to have a scout team, but did you aspire to be a scout team player for all three or four years of your high school career? All I am saying is this, I am a competitor and if my ability would not get me on the field at one place but I could go down the road and get a shot at playing, I am going to where I can play. As strongx said, not many of these kids are going to be playing past the high school level anyway so why spend it standing on the sideline. With the nerve I struck with you, it sounds as if you may know a little something about never stepping on the field. Go back to the little league and just have fun.

:roflol::roflolk::roflol:

This may get the stupidest post of the day award. You must not have played football. Are you saying the scout teams don't contribute to winning the rings? Without them you don't win the rings. There are alot of kids at AHS and MHS that never step foot on the field, but they are just as important to the "team" as any other player. I guess if you have never been there you would not understand.

Im going to have to side with you on this one. I wont lie. I was a scrub on a state Championship team. Ive got nothing to be ashamed of either. Could I have transferred to Heritage or William Blount, two schools that I lived closer to during my 4 years of High School, and saw more playing time? Quite possibly. However I knew no matter where I played football that when the final horn sounded on that last game my days were over. I didnt have the talent to go on to a higher level, no matter how hard I tried or wanted it. You cant just randomly become talented and skilled. I played in MAYBE 4 games the year we won state. Every time we were up by 35 or more....You know what though, 10 years later and Im still proud of that ring. Im proud of what me and my teammates did that year and everything we accomplished. No I didnt get to line up on Friday Night against Maryville, Sweetwater, Austin East or Union City...However, ever single day...Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday I lined up across from the best offense/defense in the state in 2A and I made them work their butts off. It didnt matter if I was an Offensive Lineman, Tailback, Linebacker or anywhere else I needed to be filled in at....I busted my butt to make them bust their butt to become better. I helped them and in return they rewarded me. My teammates mean the world to me and each and everyone of them, doesnt matter if I "like" the or not, I would go to the end of the world for. So call the guys on the sidelines, scrubs or bench warmers all you want....We're wearing rings, we put in the same hours of practice as everyone else did except we went against a top caliber team every day at practice!!

Im going to have to side with you on this one. I wont lie. I was a scrub on a state Championship team. Ive got nothing to be ashamed of either. Could I have transferred to Heritage or William Blount, two schools that I lived closer to during my 4 years of High School, and saw more playing time? Quite possibly. However I knew no matter where I played football that when the final horn sounded on that last game my days were over. I didnt have the talent to go on to a higher level, no matter how hard I tried or wanted it. You cant just randomly become talented and skilled. I played in MAYBE 4 games the year we won state. Every time we were up by 35 or more....You know what though, 10 years later and Im still proud of that ring. Im proud of what me and my teammates did that year and everything we accomplished. No I didnt get to line up on Friday Night against Maryville, Sweetwater, Austin East or Union City...However, ever single day...Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday I lined up across from the best offense/defense in the state in 2A and I made them work their butts off. It didnt matter if I was an Offensive Lineman, Tailback, Linebacker or anywhere else I needed to be filled in at....I busted my butt to make them bust their butt to become better. I helped them and in return they rewarded me. My teammates mean the world to me and each and everyone of them, doesnt matter if I "like" the or not, I would go to the end of the world for. So call the guys on the sidelines, scrubs or bench warmers all you want....We're wearing rings, we put in the same hours of practice as everyone else did except we went against a top caliber team every day at practice!!

I respect you and your opinion/decision. Evidently, there are a lot of kids out there that share your opinion and I have no problem with that, to each his own. I just did not have that mindset when I was in school, I am lucky that I did not have to stand on the sidelines (not because I was so good, maybe the teams were just down in talent when I came through), but like I said earlier, if I had worked as hard as I could and I still could not get on the field, I truly think I would have went somewhere that I could have. I am not trying to say anyone is wrong, just giving my opinion.

I respect you and your opinion/decision. Evidently, there are a lot of kids out there that share your opinion and I have no problem with that, to each his own. I just did not have that mindset when I was in school, I am lucky that I did not have to stand on the sidelines (not because I was so good, maybe the teams were just down in talent when I came through), but like I said earlier, if I had worked as hard as I could and I still could not get on the field, I truly think I would have went somewhere that I could have. I am not trying to say anyone is wrong, just giving my opinion.

That's fair enough. I guess I just live by the old saying of "Winning isnt everything, its the only thing" :thumb:

Stars,

Any truth to the rumor that we can move down to a lower classification after the freshmen get moved off campus? I doubt the school would want to, but it could affect not only high school sports but also the middle school if they also lose their 7th graders. I wonder if this was considered by the school board in "THE PLAN".

The pendulum swing is starting in the middle schools. With 400+ kids in your future graduating class, it becomes hard to even contribute on the chess team. I heard their were 60+ trying out for the 7th grade (one grade) basketball team this year. Times have definitely changed, and parents appear more fearful their kids may get lost in the shuffle.

sx ont no fer shore....Butt if'un we lose Satudee nite eye mite want two do that......

Well eye ain't seen evur sport like chess and bowlin' ...Butt hit looked two me like tha pindulum waz swingin' hardur our way than evur in middull skool footbawl....Butt hay that's jist my opinyun..... :unsure:

Edited by STARSNBARS

Jaik ewe alsew got two say that "standin' and watchin" fer a extree 5 weeks a yeer mite bee werth sumthin.... :flower:

Stars,

it looks as if I am by myself on this one, but hey it won't be the first time. I just have never been the standing and watching type, I guess I'm different, but as I said, it's not the first time I've been different and most surely won't be the last. I guess if I were to settle for standing and watching then it might as well be for the "State Champions".

Stars,

StrongX ...not sure about the moving down to a lower classification. It would seem that you didn't count the freshmen in your high school #, then they wouldn't be eligible to play on the high school team as a freshman. Not commonplace for a frosh to play at Maryville ... but Prevo in football this year, Zach Sharp three years ago; Kimble, Landers in boy's basketball last year; Edmiston in boy's basketball this year; Vaught in girls basketball a few years ago ... it does happen.

I know when WB started their freshmen academy, in order for the freshmen to be able to compete on varsity teams we had to count them in our enrollment. Another biggy ... if the 9th grade is not considered part of the high school (and counted as such) then the 9th grade class is considered a terminal year and the student-athletes are free to transfer to another school their sophomore year without penalty.

Edited by GovMan

Ok Grey, I will ask you a question. You don't even have to respond here, just answer it to yourself. You came from Knoxville, a graduate of Central High School, I believe. Are you telling me that when you came over to Blount County if AHS would have had a string of state championships 5 or 6 years long and MHS was having years of 5-5, 6-4, 7-3, just good competitive years but no championships, that you would have still decided to send your kids to Maryville and suddenly become the biggest MHS fan in the area? This is just an honest question, I am not trying to gig you.

I do not mind to answer. It is true that I graduated from Central moons ago. When I married my wife 19 years ago and moved to Blount county I knew no one or nothing about this place. We eventually ended up buying a home within the city limits but that was not really an issue , we just loved the house. My wife (she graduated from Heritage)and I busied ourselves working and planning out our life together so the school thing ws not really an issue at that time. I did not suddenly become a MARYVILLE fan , that came about over the course of several games. I had not seen but a handful H S games since I graduated but after watching a few MARYVILLE games I was hooked and this was at the beginning of the trek so my enthusiasm was not motivated by titles or gold but only by the commitment and execution of those I was watching.My spawn were born here and are REBEL to the core and would not accept anything else. My son practices just as hard as the starters and will have ample opportunity to play, he does it everyday, when I drop him off @ 6am to workout and when he takes the field after school to practice. He gives his all and he is happy with that because he knows it will pay off on the field and in life. HE would rather be at MARYVILLE than ANYWHERE else.

I do not consider myself the biggest fan because there are several others out there that are heftier than myself... :roflol: . I respect your view and your question but I do detect a wee bit of mockery in the structure of your writing. No offense taken though. I hope I have answered your question , this is how I answered it for myself.

Edited by GREYRIDER