Gerry Bertier's Playoff Plan

Gerry Bertier

Alright, I put this together tell me what you think.

Each Classification will have different # of districts due to Geography. In order to be an automatic qualifier for the district you must finish in the top 2 of your district in 3A and 4A.

In 3A you have 12 districts meaning you have 24 auto qualifiers and 8 wild cards. To qualify as a wild card total wins will be the determinant. Using the same tiebreaker methods as the TSSAA currently does to determine any ties. Teams will be grouped into Quads like the TSSAA currently does. When seeding for the playoffs the district winners will be seeded first using the TSSAA tiebreakers to break any ties. After the the rest of the teams will be seeded based on total victories. This will put value in winning your district.

In 4A, you have 9 districts meaning you have 18 auto qualifers and 14 wild cards. The seeding and grouping will be done the same as 3A.

The only concern 4 3A is the small districts, which means you would have alot of non-district games. But you can't have a perfect system. I think this is better than our current system.

Here is the districts I drew up.

3A

1-Elizabethon Happy Valley Sullivan North Johnson County

2-West Greene Chuckey Doak South Greene Unicoi County

3-Gatlinburg Pittman Piegon Forge Cumberland Gap Austin East

4-CAK Alcoa Loudon Kingston

5-Polk Co Sweetwater Meigs County McMinn Central Tyner

6-CCS Howard Grundy Bledsoe Sequatchie

7-Smith York Cannon Upperman

8-Goodpasture Westmoreland Pearl Cohn East Literature CPA

9-Camden Stewart Co Cheatham Co. Waverly Harpeth

10-Lewis Co East Hickman Hickman Fairview

11-Milan Gibson County Westview JCM

12-Manassas Northside Oakhaven BTW Carver

4A

1-Sullivan East Greeneville Claiborne County Grainger Gibbs

2-Sequoyah Fulton Carter Union County Scott County Stone Memorial

3-Brainerd Hixson Red Bank East Ridge Notre Dame Chatt. Cen. East Hamilton

4- Livingston Academy Dekalb Co. Macon Co. Greenbriar White House Sycamore

5- Stratford Lipscomb Whites Creek Maplewood Creekwood Montgomery Centra

6- Giles County Page Marshall Co. Spring Hill Summitt

7- Ripley Crockett Co. Covington Obion County Dyersburg Haywood County

8- Lexington Liberty Magnet Chester County Bolivar South Side McNairy Central Fayette Ware

9- Trezevant Kingsbury Frayser Hillcrest Sheffield Fairley

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good, but there would still be the same complaining about wild card selections-whether a team playing a weaker schedule deserves to get in over a team playing a tougher schedule. Same situation if the first team wins their district and is beaten by a wild card hopeful. I don't know if any system involving wild cards could make everyone happy so overall this would appear to be acceptable. Another big thing, it takes away the 3A vs 4A matchups unless teams choose to play nondistrict.

Looks good, but there would still be the same complaining about wild card selections-whether a team playing a weaker schedule deserves to get in over a team playing a tougher schedule. Same situation if the first team wins their district and is beaten by a wild card hopeful. I don't know if any system involving wild cards could make everyone happy so overall this would appear to be acceptable. Another big thing, it takes away the 3A vs 4A matchups unless teams choose to play nondistrict.

I think the main problem with the current system is that winning your district is not valued. That has to be part of any system. A wild card team beating a district winner should not be considered because it opens a pandora's box of possibilities. You can't please everyone. I think my plan is fair in the sense, the games that really matter are your district games, if you are in a tough district you still have a chance as a wild card.

Winning a district and winning head to head when there is a tie as far as records go should be the first tie-breakers...

How in the world is Lexington a two seed BEHIND Liberty when they are both in the same district and Lexington whipped Liberty in Jackson 40-27...Lexington was 1st and undefeated in their district and Liberty was second...Both were 8-2...

It happened with Tyner and Howard as well...It wasn't a situation where it was a one and two seed...Look at Obion Central and Covington in Quad 4 in 4A...Both were 5-5 overall and both were 3-3 in the district but Covington beat OC head to head...Covington got a 8 seed while OC got a 7...

Stuff like that is what is wrong with the current playoff system...

When I played only the champion of a district went..My junior year we were 7-3 and my senior year we were 8-2...Didn't make the playoffs EITHER year...

Gerry, I like your plan as it makes a lot of sense. Just think how the brackets would look if the T$$AA would do football playoffs like basketball, baseball, and softball tournaments. Just three classes (A, AA, AAA). I am giving what the top half of the AA bracket would look like. Top four in each district qualifies for playoffs and going by district standings according to T$$AA.

Bracket 1

Greeneville 10-0

Johnson Co. 2-8

Happy Valley 7-2

West Greene 7-3

Claiborne Co. 7-3

Sullivan North 7-3

Elizabethtown 6-4

Chuckey-Doak 7-3

Bracket 2

Alcoa 10-0

G-P 7-3

A-E 6-4

Loudon 8-2

Fulton 6-4

CAK 9-1

Gibbs 9-1

Kingston 6-4

Bracket 3

Tyner 8-2

Meigs Co. 2-8

Sequoyah 4-6

Central 6-4

Sweetwater 4-6

Howard 8-2

Polk Co. 9-1

Red Bank 6-4

Bracket 4

Bledsoe Co. 7-3

DeKalb Co. 3-7

Livingston Ac. 5-5

Grundy Co. 6-4

Sequatchie Co. 7-3

York 4-6

Smith Co. 9-1

CCS 4-6

32 teams, only 8 with losing records. Less travel until the quarter-finals and semi-finals. How many would be in favor or against this format?

Sorry but total wins just encourages scheduling the weakest schedule possible.

And, do you really think winning the Polk Co disrict means as much as coming in second to Alcoa? Srength of schedule should be number one in seeding.

Alright, I put this together tell me what you think.

Each Classification will have different # of districts due to Geography. In order to be an automatic qualifier for the district you must finish in the top 2 of your district in 3A and 4A.

In 3A you have 12 districts meaning you have 24 auto qualifiers and 8 wild cards. To qualify as a wild card total wins will be the determinant. Using the same tiebreaker methods as the TSSAA currently does to determine any ties. Teams will be grouped into Quads like the TSSAA currently does. When seeding for the playoffs the district winners will be seeded first using the TSSAA tiebreakers to break any ties. After the the rest of the teams will be seeded based on total victories. This will put value in winning your district.

In 4A, you have 9 districts meaning you have 18 auto qualifers and 14 wild cards. The seeding and grouping will be done the same as 3A.

The only concern 4 3A is the small districts, which means you would have alot of non-district games. But you can't have a perfect system. I think this is better than our current system.

Here is the districts I drew up.

3A

1-Elizabethon Happy Valley Sullivan North Johnson County

2-West Greene Chuckey Doak South Greene Unicoi County

3-Gatlinburg Pittman Piegon Forge Cumberland Gap Austin East

4-CAK Alcoa Loudon Kingston

5-Polk Co Sweetwater Meigs County McMinn Central Tyner

6-CCS Howard Grundy Bledsoe Sequatchie

7-Smith York Cannon Upperman

8-Goodpasture Westmoreland Pearl Cohn East Literature CPA

9-Camden Stewart Co Cheatham Co. Waverly Harpeth

10-Lewis Co East Hickman Hickman Fairview

11-Milan Gibson County Westview JCM

12-Manassas Northside Oakhaven BTW Carver

4A

1-Sullivan East Greeneville Claiborne County Grainger Gibbs

2-Sequoyah Fulton Carter Union County Scott County Stone Memorial

3-Brainerd Hixson Red Bank East Ridge Notre Dame Chatt. Cen. East Hamilton

4- Livingston Academy Dekalb Co. Macon Co. Greenbriar White House Sycamore

5- Stratford Lipscomb Whites Creek Maplewood Creekwood Montgomery Centra

6- Giles County Page Marshall Co. Spring Hill Summitt

7- Ripley Crockett Co. Covington Obion County Dyersburg Haywood County

8- Lexington Liberty Magnet Chester County Bolivar South Side McNairy Central Fayette Ware

9- Trezevant Kingsbury Frayser Hillcrest Sheffield Fairley

Sorry but total wins just encourages scheduling the weakest schedule possible.

And, do you really think winning the Polk Co disrict means as much as coming in second to Alcoa? Srength of schedule should be number one in seeding.

Sounds great in theory, but how do you do that? What if you have a 8-2 Loudon team losing to to CAK and Alcoa and a 10-0 Camden team who plays in a weak district, who would you seed first?

Gerry, I like your plan as it makes a lot of sense. Just think how the brackets would look if the T$$AA would do football playoffs like basketball, baseball, and softball tournaments. Just three classes (A, AA, AAA). I am giving what the top half of the AA bracket would look like. Top four in each district qualifies for playoffs and going by district standings according to T$$AA.

Bracket 1

Greeneville 10-0

Johnson Co. 2-8

Happy Valley 7-2

West Greene 7-3

Claiborne Co. 7-3

Sullivan North 7-3

Elizabethtown 6-4

Chuckey-Doak 7-3

Bracket 2

Alcoa 10-0

G-P 7-3

A-E 6-4

Loudon 8-2

Fulton 6-4

CAK 9-1

Gibbs 9-1

Kingston 6-4

Bracket 3

Tyner 8-2

Meigs Co. 2-8

Sequoyah 4-6

Central 6-4

Sweetwater 4-6

Howard 8-2

Polk Co. 9-1

Red Bank 6-4

Bracket 4

Bledsoe Co. 7-3

DeKalb Co. 3-7

Livingston Ac. 5-5

Grundy Co. 6-4

Sequatchie Co. 7-3

York 4-6

Smith Co. 9-1

CCS 4-6

32 teams, only 8 with losing records. Less travel until the quarter-finals and semi-finals. How many would be in favor or against this format?

This would mean that teams like Greenville wouldn't win a title this year! Also teams 2-8 shouldn't be playing in the playoffs. Just a chance for the good teams to get players injured.