WHO IS GOING HOME WITH THE DII AA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

shakinthefat

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we need to focus on BC this week! Long ride over. Understand their starting QB went out a couple of weeks ago with a broken collarbone. I'm sure they have other weapons in their arsenal. We have to protect the ball and execute. We cannot shoot ourselves in the foot or it will be a really long ride home.

That being said, Bluedad says he believes M-B split in 1974 with B taking the first and M taking the second. But can you imagine.... 2 rivalry weeks in one year! Wow! I vote the split and starting a new streak!

The new season (playoffs) starts this week.

What are your predictions or educated guesses on the DII AA playoff outcome?

Who has the easiest path to Cookeville and who has the most difficult path?

McCallie vs BC - Winner vs Baylor

SBA vs BGA - Winner vs CBHS

MBA vs Ryan - Winner vs Ensworth

BA vs JP2 - Winner vs MUS

McCallie beats Briarcrest, BGA beats St. Ben, MBA beats Ryan, BA beats Pope. After that, all toss ups.

My short thoughts based off comments:

Yes, the TSSAA has no love for DII. A Thursday night championship for the arguably best two teams in the state (yes, the DII-AA teams in the championship beat the 6A championship teams 9 out of 10 times every year)? But, 6A gets prime time on Saturday night, and DII-AA gets Thursday night? It's pretty shameful.

Secondly, Father Ryan is not a very good team. MBA wins. No upset here.

Third, this state does have way too many classifications. I'm not sure if the TSSAA thinks it's in Texas, Florida, or California, but if it does it is sadly mistaken. DII schools would need to "recruit" (a play off other threads) to compete in these states at a high level. Let's face it, football just isn't that important here (across the board) like it is in many other states. I wish it was - but it simply isn't. It might be to the players and coaches - but not to the schools and the media.

Fourth, I predict MUS beats BA in the second round. EHS beats MUS, and Christian Bros. makes it to the championship game by beating Baylor by using Ensworth's model: Run the ball right at them, because Baylor's rush defense is weak. Want to keep Huesman off the field, run the ball at 5-8 yards per chunk and finish your drive in the red zone.

As for Ensworth vs. CBHS, I'll wait to predict that to see if it really happens, ha ha.

Lastly, how in the world are we having playoffs this weekend and JPII and St. Benedict are playing? Byes in the playoffs? What is this? I don't even think St Benedict won a region game - and they are in the playoffs? This "play-in" game or whatever you call it is a result of our culture or current society: SOFT! I think, well, it's gross really, but I have no say. Make everybody feel good about themselves - is that it? Silly. The real world isn't so friendly. You'd think this is football in France! Everybody makes the playoffs! . . . ludicrous.

I think we need to focus on BC this week! Long ride over. Understand their starting QB went out a couple of weeks ago with a broken collarbone. I'm sure they have other weapons in their arsenal. We have to protect the ball and execute. We cannot shoot ourselves in the foot or it will be a really long ride home.

That being said, Bluedad says he believes M-B split in 1974 with B taking the first and M taking the second. But can you imagine.... 2 rivalry weeks in one year! Wow! I vote the split and starting a new streak!

Yes, Baylor/McCallie did split in 1974 and Baylor took both games in 1997. Heywood Stadium would be rocking no doubt if McCallie advances to play Baylor. Anything can happen...but I see Baylor extending their present streak. We'll know Friday night.

My short thoughts based off comments:

Yes, the TSSAA has no love for DII. A Thursday night championship for the arguably best two teams in the state (yes, the DII-AA teams in the championship beat the 6A championship teams 9 out of 10 times every year)? But, 6A gets prime time on Saturday night, and DII-AA gets Thursday night? It's pretty shameful.

Secondly, Father Ryan is not a very good team. MBA wins. No upset here.

Third, this state does have way too many classifications. I'm not sure if the TSSAA thinks it's in Texas, Florida, or California, but if it does it is sadly mistaken. DII schools would need to "recruit" (a play off other threads) to compete in these states at a high level. Let's face it, football just isn't that important here (across the board) like it is in many other states. I wish it was - but it simply isn't. It might be to the players and coaches - but not to the schools and the media.

Fourth, I predict MUS beats BA in the second round. EHS beats MUS, and Christian Bros. makes it to the championship game by beating Baylor by using Ensworth's model: Run the ball right at them, because Baylor's rush defense is weak. Want to keep Huesman off the field, run the ball at 5-8 yards per chunk and finish your drive in the red zone.

As for Ensworth vs. CBHS, I'll wait to predict that to see if it really happens, ha ha.

Lastly, how in the world are we having playoffs this weekend and JPII and St. Benedict are playing? Byes in the playoffs? What is this? I don't even think St Benedict won a region game - and they are in the playoffs? This "play-in" game or whatever you call it is a result of our culture or current society: SOFT! I think, well, it's gross really, but I have no say. Make everybody feel good about themselves - is that it? Silly. The real world isn't so friendly. You'd think this is football in France! Everybody makes the playoffs! . . . ludicrous.

On your part about "everybody makes it to the playoffs"...I agree with you. Makes no sense. A team should have to be at least batting 500. In the east we have JPII with a 2-8 record and McCallie with a 3-6 record. You should have to earn being in the playoffs and with records like these? I don't want to make anyone mad here but it is ludicrous.

Edited by MBARED

Looks like every division has at least one team with a sub .500 record. Don't necessarily think it to reward sub-part teams, but to fill the brackets with a reasonable number of teams. I don't like the bye week for teams either, but if you don't have it does it make for too few games? Personally, I love the playoff games and don't mind adding an extra week to the season.

bluemom what is the website to watch mccaliie game tonite?

bluemom what is the website to watch mccaliie game tonite?

The McCallie web-site does not mention a webcast for the game. It has a link to a Memphis radio station for audio:

http://www.sports56whbq.com/

I checked another DII school that normally has webcasts and they do not have a link for tonight's game either.

It might be the TSSAA does not allow webcasts for playoff games?