Finally!

VolunteerCoach

I hope they can work out a way for another DII team to play Alcoa/Maryville this year. I watched parts of all of the championship games, and I've got to say Alcoa was the best team in Tennessee this weekend. As a matter of fact, here's how I'd rank the top 5 based on what I saw:

1. Alcoa

2. Ensworth

3. Webb

4. Maryville

5. Baylor

I hope they can work out a way for another DII team to play Alcoa/Maryville this year. I watched parts of all of the championship games, and I've got to say Alcoa was the best team in Tennessee this weekend. As a matter of fact, here's how I'd rank the top 5 based on what I saw:

1. Alcoa

2. Ensworth

3. Webb

4. Maryville

5. Baylor

I too watched a whole lot of high school football this weekend. Lists like this are fun, but in my opinion there is really no way to judge based on the huge disparity in the competition faced by these teams in Cookevile. In fact, I was left thinking that the non-competitive nature of many of these games means that we have 3 too many DI divisions and that the TSSAA should slide the enrollment limit for DII-A down to about 375 (which would put Webb in DII-AA). That said, I think you have the start of a fine list, with one caveat: based on what I saw, I don't know how Columbia Central can be left off any such list. They were big (their tailback weighs about 230), fast, and played extremely well on both sides of the ball. With absolutely no disrespect to Webb, I would slide them off the list, move Maryville up to No. 3 and put Columbia in at No. 4. I also think Smyrna should be included, perhaps as a tie for fifth.

Edited by RedRobin

1. Alcoa

2. Ensworth

3. Webb

4. Maryville

5. Baylor

1. Alcoa

2. Maryville

3. Webb

4. Greenville

5. Smyrna/Baylor/Ensworth

Edited by countrycan

Good, but I'd go:

1. Alcoa

2. Maryville

3. Smyrma

4. Greeneville/Columbia

5. Webb/Baylor/Ensworth

If Webb had depth they would easily has won DII 2A also.

Didnt ensworth beat smyrna by 16? 30-14? As a webb fan i think those backs are pretty special but theres no way i can honestly tell how good they are until they play some other teams. Next year vs Alcoa should tell me a lot! dont get me wrong i think webb is a very good team beat ecs and destroyed a catholic team that played columbia very close but until next year ill hold any judegement on them being a top 5 school in the entire state...probably top 15/10 though.

Ensworth

Alcoa

Brentwood academy

Baylor

Maryville

Smyrna

MBA

Oakland

Columbia

Webb

Greeneville

All these teams are very good

Admittedly I didn't get a chance to watch all of the small schools in 1, 2, and 3 a, but my impression is that ehs and maryville stand out from the rest. That's based on viewing the largest classifications, I.e., d2aa; 5a and 6a. Ehs, maryville, Smyrna, and ba are the 4 best I've seen this year. That would make an excellent semifinal were this the old days.