Tennessee Middle School Wrestling Tournaments

CoachRow

I am a first year middle school coach and I was looking for a few tournaments and was wondering if there was a state tournament for Middle School. I am in Middle Tennessee so the closer the better.

Welcome! No there is no state tournament for middle school, however, Williamson County has a county wide tournament. The downtown metro schools has a city tournament and after that is the Sonic Invitational. I was involved with Heritage Middle for three years and to my knowledge that is the most prestigious tourney in the middle tn area. After that I really dont know...

The Chattanooga area has two middle school leagues that do not run at the same time. The Knoxville & upper East Tennessee area to my knowledge has no official school middle school teams or leagues. Memphis has no middle school leagues but does have a few middle school teams. The Nashville area has the HVAC League and the Williamson County Public School League. Both of these leagues will finish this weekend. They also have the Metro Nashville Public School League & a league with teams from Wilson, Dickson & Chetham Counties. In the past you had the Middle Tennessee Wrestling Association with teams from Blackman, Cookeville, Hendersonville, etc... but I am not sure that they have a league championship as they did in past years. You also have independent teams like Lipscomb & Nashville Catholic that compete against various teams but are not in a league.

A middle school state tournament scheduled for mid January would be great but would require some teams to tweak their schedule. It is quite possible that a true state tournament would help grow wrestling in Tennessee.

Edited by cbg

Welcome! No there is no state tournament for middle school, however, Williamson County has a county wide tournament. The downtown metro schools has a city tournament and after that is the Sonic Invitational. I was involved with Heritage Middle for three years and to my knowledge that is the most prestigious tourney in the middle tn area. After that I really dont know...

They are not holding the Sonic this year, but I was informed that they plan to have it again next year. The Harpeth Tournament is this weekend and it is not league affiliated. Hendersonville has a dual taournament every year. West Wilson just had their round robin tournament. Past the local league and a few open tournaments, you don't have much until AAU cranks up. Check out their web site, that may help: www.tnyouthwrestling.com.

The Chattanooga area has two middle school leagues that do not run at the same time. The Knoxville & upper East Tennessee area to my knowledge has no official school middle school teams or leagues. Memphis has no middle school leagues but does have a few middle school teams. The Nashville area has the HVAC League and the Williamson County Public School League. Both of these leagues will finish this weekend. They also have the Metro Nashville Public School League & a league with teams from Wilson, Dickson & Chetham Counties. In the past you had the Middle Tennessee Wrestling Association with teams from Blackman, Cookeville, Hendersonville, etc... but I am not sure that they have a league championship as they did in past years. You also have independent teams like Lipscomb & Nashville Catholic that compete against various teams but are not in a league.

A middle school state tournament scheduled for mid January would be great but would require some teams to tweak their schedule. It is quite possible that a true state tournament would help grow wrestling in Tennessee.

Actualy there is a Middle School league that has schools from Jefferson County, Hamblen County and Greene County schools I believe 9 or 10 schools all together. I think they dont start up until December I may be wrong on their numbers and dates.

Ocoee Middle School of Bradley County in Cleveland is hosting a Tournament this saturday with I believe 12 schools to take part from TN and GA.

I am a first year middle school coach and I was looking for a few tournaments and was wondering if there was a state tournament for Middle School. I am in Middle Tennessee so the closer the better.

November 20th - harpeth

December 11th - Mt Juliet

january 8th - tullahome dual tournament

january 15th - east Lit tournament

january 22nd - Mcgavock ( duals , i think)

[/quote

If you give me your e-mail address I will send you the name and contact information for more information.

Are there any other individual tournaments after January 15th. We have a quad match that Saturday and won't be able to attend that tournament and am not sure about Mcgavock.

There are several individual tournaments after the 15th. The AAU season starts in December and runs through March. Please visit http://tnyouthwrestling.com for the full schedule.