Henry County Patriots in 2011

QBClubPrez

If the young man in question is even allowed to practice, let alone play, then that just confirms that the coaches/administration are a bunch of hypocrites who place winning a football game above even the safety of their own teachers. I would hope that the integrity of those in charge would not allow that to happen.

I agree to an extent. I will use the following only as a hypothetical example, but lets say the student was to be reprimanded to the alternative school or Carroll Academy for the remainder of the year, gets community service and/or juvenile probation, and is able to return to school in the fall. Only then would I have no objections to Coach Counce allowing him to EARN his way back onto the team. Because I do believe in second chances, but I also believe in discipline. But whether or not he is able to return to school or be allowed to participate in athletics is still a huge question mark. Because as I said, I don't know the exact penalties for something like this.(someone please clarify if they do.) If he is not, then I wish the best of luck to the kid and hope that he gets things in order. But there are more important things than football, and we have plenty of players who are more than capable of stepping up.

• Upvote 1

i AM NOT TRYING TO MAKE LITE OF ANYTHING, IF UNPROVOKED THEN HE SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING FOOTBALL, IF THE TEACHER SAY PUSHED OR HIT HIM, WEL IT IS A DIFFERENT SITUATION ALL TOGETHER, AND IF HE GETS TO PLAY AGAIN, IT IS NOT A STRIGHTR CASE OF COACHES AND ADMIN PUTTING WINNING FIRST, IT MAY BE A CASE OF PUTTING A STUDENT AND HIS OR HER NEEDS FIRST.

The player was not pushed, hit, or provoked by the teacher. The kid lost it and hit/kicked/scratched/clawed the teacher who only defended himself in a professional manner. This kid has a past with assault and that is more than enough to say goodbye to him. And even if he didn't have a past it shouldnt matter if this was the first time-he hit a teacher-case closed. Its pitiful and a joke to think someone on here would give the kid a second chance-what to hit another authority figure? People need to be more worried about the teacher than the player. Let psychologists, his family, and judges determine the kid's fate now. I personally don't want my son at the high school or on the team if they let him back. I'm sure the administration will do the right thing and keep him away. Let's move on and focus on what we still have on the team because we are going to be awesome this fall.

The player was not pushed, hit, or provoked by the teacher. The kid lost it and hit/kicked/scratched/clawed the teacher who only defended himself in a professional manner. This kid has a past with assault and that is more than enough to say goodbye to him. And even if he didn't have a past it shouldnt matter if this was the first time-he hit a teacher-case closed. Its pitiful and a joke to think someone on here would give the kid a second chance-what to hit another authority figure? People need to be more worried about the teacher than the player. Let psychologists, his family, and judges determine the kid's fate now. I personally don't want my son at the high school or on the team if they let him back. I'm sure the administration will do the right thing and keep him away. Let's move on and focus on what we still have on the team because we are going to be awesome this fall.

That is all I needed to hear. If that is the case, then I agree that he should be gone. And hopefully he gets the proper help he needs.

Edited by RedSwarm10

i AM NOT TRYING TO MAKE LITE OF ANYTHING, IF UNPROVOKED THEN HE SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING FOOTBALL, IF THE TEACHER SAY PUSHED OR HIT HIM, WEL IT IS A DIFFERENT SITUATION ALL TOGETHER, AND IF HE GETS TO PLAY AGAIN, IT IS NOT A STRIGHTR CASE OF COACHES AND ADMIN PUTTING WINNING FIRST, IT MAY BE A CASE OF PUTTING A STUDENT AND HIS OR HER NEEDS FIRST.

Come on coach, get real! You know the teacher didn't push or hit him. Is this the beginning of the cover-up? It's all over town and beyond about what happened. Yes, I know people exxagerate, but the one consistent theme is that the player was unprovoked and then he snapped and assaulted the teacher. I know you want him to play, but you are doing the teacher a huge disservice by your statements, and you know better. If he is allowed to play, then we are telling students that they can assault a teacher and the consequences will be minimal. If he plays football again, it needs to be somewhere other than Henry County. If he plays here, the administration and coaching staff would be the joke of the state.

Come on coach, get real! You know the teacher didn't push or hit him. Is this the beginning of the cover-up? It's all over town and beyond about what happened. Yes, I know people exxagerate, but the one consistent theme is that the player was unprovoked and then he snapped and assaulted the teacher. I know you want him to play, but you are doing the teacher a huge disservice by your statements, and you know better. If he is allowed to play, then we are telling students that they can assault a teacher and the consequences will be minimal. If he plays football again, it needs to be somewhere other than Henry County. If he plays here, the administration and coaching staff would be the joke of the state.

Amen

News travels fast. If the rumors are true, then HC just lost its best LB. Any confirmation or denials out there?

I heard he was not a starter last season just in the mix "fighting" for a starting position this year. So he can't be the "best" if that is the case. Too bad for all involved. Poor choice hurt a teacher and will probably prevent him from ever get an opportunity to play again. Sad.

I would like to apologize for coming across in sensitive, that is not the case at all, I should have just left everything alone and stayed off this board, what I was doing was trying to argue a point with the commish about if that was the case, it should be handled differently, I was not suggesting that the teacher did anything wrong in this particular situation. All I know is what I have heard, and I know both people involved and I think highly of both. This is a no win situation and very unfortunate.

I heard he was not a starter last season just in the mix "fighting" for a starting position this year. So he can't be the "best" if that is the case. Too bad for all involved. Poor choice hurt a teacher and will probably prevent him from ever get an opportunity to play again. Sad.

It is too bad. I just heard that he was either a starter or a starter for sure next year, The word is that he was the strongest and most athletic of the LBs. The team will be better off withouit him.

I would like to apologize for coming across in sensitive, that is not the case at all, I should have just left everything alone and stayed off this board, what I was doing was trying to argue a point with the commish about if that was the case, it should be handled differently, I was not suggesting that the teacher did anything wrong in this particular situation. All I know is what I have heard, and I know both people involved and I think highly of both. This is a no win situation and very unfortunate.

I am glad to see that you have changed your tune. I don't know either, but I have heard good things about the teacher who was assaulted. I do not think "highly" of a student/player who assaults a teacher though. We all make mistakes for sure, but this is a little more than a "mistake". Mistakes are generally accidents or "mistakes in judgement". This is neither. This is a kid in a man's body assaulting a teacher who was doing his job. This is sickening. We insult the teacher by making excuses for the kid, and we further damage the kid by making excuses for his reprehensible act.

• Upvote 1

Exactly the type of coaching you get when you enter Henry Co. land. Not only in football but in baseball and basketball. The exception is the Lady Patriot basketball coach. The Grove/Freshman program is a complete waste IMO. Kids who enter High School in 9th grade should be on the HS team or on the JV period. Building a new gym for just freshman basketball is ridiculous I‘m sure there are a few class rooms to go along, but that’s neither here nor there. If Henry Co. were producing championships in football and basketball through the separate 9th grade football and basketball systems I believe it would be a different story. Anyone who lives in Paris/Henry Co. are well aware that is not the case. It's just a complete waste. Do they get a gold ball for going undefeated in either sport? No. Now could the JV teams get more and better coaching to get these kids better with out the separation? Yes. JV teams could get more and better attention for development..... The baseball team has a non existent off season summer program and this should exist. Very few players ages 15-17 play summer travel ball in this county. This means a low % of development. The HS team may play around 16-20 (if that many) games against a non competitive West TN schedule during the summer which provides IMO very little experience. The best players on the teams they will play don't play for the HS teams during the summer because they play travel baseball. This equals low competition. There should be a complete extensive summer baseball program not just a thrown together schedule to play a few games....... Back to football. I have watched around 80% of Henry Co. football games since Joe Gaddis (great coach) took over in 2004. IMO this could be the most complete football team ever in Henry Co. next year. This could go to waste. Players who should be on playing on both sides of the ball don't. One example of many IMO is Shaq Allen...no reason this kid who doesn't even play every down on the offensive side shouldn't be in at LB on defense. He's not even rotated in at any point not even during the playoffs either. This means this good athlete is playing less than 50% of the game. WHY? When it comes to your QB I can understand completely but IDK where the logic is not playing your best players on both sides? It's not college or the pros with a very deep talented roster. This is HS. For those who watched the Hendersonville game saw most of their best players going both ways and even on special teams. I’m very far from calling our coaching horrible but a team is a reflection of the head coach. Sometimes it's not the passion you put in during the season or on Friday nights under the lights but it's the passion you put in to your players and the relationships you develop during the off season and in that same very weight room in December on through out the spring and summer. I have no clue if this is even close to being the truth or just a dead period for the football coaches but lets all hope that's the case. GO BIG RED!

IMSBulldog...I don't know your true identity but it saddens me greatly given the fact that I am too a IMSBulldog fan! It saddens me that you are so misinformed that you get on here and "rattle off" your opinions while others from across the state view this thread and mistake it for fact!! First, the initial issue was the attendance of Head Coach James Counce during workouts! Make NO MISTAKE...we (Henry County) hired a RETIRED coach to coach our football team. I can assure you, during the "off season"...there are days when his presence isn't required (usually the end of duck season)..because, James Counce Jr. is in charge of ANY and ALL matters related to the weight room, workouts, agility exercises, etc, etc.! NONETHELESS..these players see more of the Head Coach than they care to any given day of the week...if you don't believe me..ask them! There are few instances after Jan.31st when the head coach in not one of the first ones on campus and the last one to leave! (the comments related to Shaq or who's playing QB or whatever are so ridiculous..it's a waste to even respond)..(it's the coach's decision who plays on defense or who plays on offense..not yours, not mine, not the AD's, etc.!) simply ridiculous!

Secondly..I notice IMSBulldog that you reference the JV football team and insist on them working out with the varsity...umm...just who in your mind do you think the JV team is?? IF you'd show up just one single day to a practice..you'd see that EVERY kid that dresses out for a JV game is practicing with the Varsity team...every kid!! On another subject entirely, HC has always maintained and developed a freshman program. Furthermore, HC in not unique in this philosophy in that MANY area high schools both in TN and KY do the exact same thing with their incoming freshmen football players. A stand alone freshmen program does many things..not the least of which is provide actual game experience against similar size and speed competition! (not to mention the learning of the varsity terminology and scheming)

Lastly, somehow your rant spilled over into high school baseball. Again, I don't know you (or at least your true identity on Coacht) however, you must have a very limited knowledge of the baseball program at Henry County High! This year's Varsity baseball squad is currently the sole leader of District 10-AAA with a 16-1 overall record. The history of the Patriot baseball program is one that many other schools and even other sports programs at HC would do well to emulate! Did you know that there are more young men who have played college baseball from Henry County's baseball program than in any of the rest of the sports that HC offers...combined!!?? Did you know that the new middle school baseball program at Inman is led by one of these former standout baseball players?? Did you know that even one of Inman's assistant football coaches is also one of these former baseball players that exceled in college? Believe it or not, in the Spring of 1991, there were 10 guys off of Coach Jeff Morris' team that signed to play at various schools around the state and by no means was this even the best overall team the school has fielded! IF you were to attend today's game at Dickson County, my guess is that would see several young men that will follow in the footsteps of proud Patriots of yesteryear!

In an effort to set the record straight, I trust you will take this post in the spirit is was written and be better equiped with facts in the future when chosing to post and slander hard working men who devote their lives to the molding and building of our community's student athletes!

Edited by QBClubPrez
  • Upvote 2

Amen Prez !!!! I couldn't have said it any better myself.

IMSBulldog...I don't know your true identity but it saddens me greatly given the fact that I am too a IMSBulldog fan! It saddens me that you are so misinformed that you get on here and "rattle off" your opinions while others from across the state view this thread and mistake it for fact!! First, the initial issue was the attendance of Head Coach James Counce during workouts! Make NO MISTAKE...we (Henry County) hired a RETIRED coach to coach our football team. I can assure you, during the "off season"...there are days when his presence isn't required (usually the end of duck season)..because, James Counce Jr. is in charge of ANY and ALL matters related to the weight room, workouts, agility exercises, etc, etc.! NONETHELESS..these players see more of the Head Coach than they care to any given day of the week...if you don't believe me..ask them! There are few instances after Jan.31st when the head coach in not one of the first ones on campus and the last one to leave! (the comments related to Shaq or who's playing QB or whatever are so ridiculous..it's a waste to even respond)..(it's the coach's decision who plays on defense or who plays on offense..not yours, not mine, not the AD's, etc.!) simply ridiculous!

Secondly..I notice IMSBulldog that you reference the JV football team and insist on them working out with the varsity...umm...just who in your mind do you think the JV team is?? IF you'd show up just one single day to a practice..you'd see that EVERY kid that dresses out for a JV game is practicing with the Varsity team...every kid!! On another subject entirely, HC has always maintained and developed a freshman program. Furthermore, HC in not unique in this philosophy in that MANY area high schools both in TN and KY do the exact same thing with their incoming freshmen football players. A stand alone freshmen program does many things..not the least of which is provide actual game experience against similar size and speed competition! (not to mention the learning of the varsity terminology and scheming)

Lastly, somehow your rant spilled over into high school baseball. Again, I don't know you (or at least your true identity on Coacht) however, you must have a very limited knowledge of the baseball program at Henry County High! This year's Varsity baseball squad is currently the sole leader of District 10-AAA with a 16-1 overall record. The history of the Patriot baseball program is one that many other schools and even other sports programs at HC would do well to emulate! Did you know that there are more young men who have played college baseball from Henry County's baseball program than in any of the rest of the sports that HC offers...combined!!?? Did you know that the new middle school baseball program at Inman is led by one of these former standout baseball players?? Did you know that even one of Inman's assistant football coaches is also one of these former baseball players that exceled in college? Believe it or not, in the Spring of 1991, there were 10 guys off of Coach Jeff Morris' team that signed to play at various schools around the state and by no means was this even the best overall team the school has fielded! IF you were to attend today's game at Dickson County, my guess is that would see several young men that will follow in the footsteps of proud Patriots of yesteryear!

In an effort to set the record straight, I trust you will take this post in the spirit is was written and be better equiped with facts in the future when chosing to post and slander hard working men who devote their lives to the molding and building of our community's student athletes!

Edited by HCFan