Favorite Offense?

SwamiSays

My fav offense is the one that scores the most points! Spread it out wide and sling at least 35 times a game. Make the game fun for the kids. Add a little option and no back sets but throw the ball around. I think if you did that there would be more kids playing football. They just dont like to block no more! This way you only got 5 blocking and they are the hogs up front who cant run any way.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up in the Vier. But I'm a Spread convert. And my "B" offense is the Power I. And I like checking off at the line to go to one to the other. Which takes versatile skill players in order to make it work. The spread is dependent on one quick TB who must see the field. This in order to take pressure off the air game. Not just any TB will do. He has to have change of direction skills and be quick off the line. An understanding of the cutback and the 6 TB techniques. This same TB will set the Power I on fire. Most traditional schooled RB's don't like or understand running out of the Spread. The ones who acclimate to it are given the keys to the kingdom.

I grew up in the Vier. But I'm a Spread convert. And my "B" offense is the Power I. And I like checking off at the line to go to one to the other. Which takes versatile skill players in order to make it work. The spread is dependent on one quick TB who must see the field. This in order to take pressure off the air game. Not just any TB will do. He has to have change of direction skills and be quick off the line. An understanding of the cutback and the 6 TB techniques. This same TB will set the Power I on fire. Most traditional schooled RB's don't like or understand running out of the Spread. The ones who acclimate to it are given the keys to the kingdom.

For example, former HHS RB Jacques Seward.

Power I with a little spread thrown in.

A LONG time ago the wingT would have been successful when defenses were fat and slow. In todays game with D-lines being stronger and faster with muscles instead of fat running backs do NOT have the time for running sideways. They have to hit holes fast and be in the secondary before the d-line can react.

A little spread to keep defenses honest and not load the box so your rb's will have lanes to run in.

I grew up in the split-T and single-wing offense :D

I have watched the local teams run everything from Wing T to the Spread. All have good points and bad points depending on the players talant levels.

I don't like the Wing T unless you have a really good ball handling team across the board, with lot's of speed. The Triple option demands a running QB as tough as the RBs. The Spread hurts you when it does comes time to run with power (and at some point you always still have to do that) because it tips off the other team when you line up with the QB under center, since most use this formation with the QB in Shotgun. The Veer tends to signal more power game and gets the defense in close.

Don't get me wrong tho. I love to watch all of the above when the team truly knows the ins and outs and how to run the formation properly.

I personally like the basic "I" formation with the team being able to shift from one formation to another, by just moving players around. One can go from the "I" to the Spread, give a power look the next play by pulling a TE in close, then go to a shot gun formation at any time. I like the flexability of the basic set which if you run it properly you can give the look of most any other formation. And give team the flexability to attack the opponent's weakness with less adjustment.

Edited by alt1958

Power I with a little spread thrown in.

A LONG time ago the wingT would have been successful when defenses were fat and slow. In todays game with D-lines being stronger and faster with muscles instead of fat running backs do NOT have the time for running sideways. They have to hit holes fast and be in the secondary before the d-line can react.

A little spread to keep defenses honest and not load the box so your rb's will have lanes to run in.

LOD I looked at this thread just to see if you had posted on here. The Wing T version Mt Juliet runs was quite effective, but they mixed in a lot of passes.

LOD I looked at this thread just to see if you had posted on here. The Wing T version Mt Juliet runs was quite effective, but they mixed in a lot of passes.

So was the WingT offense that Wilson Central ran three years ago for that very reason. Trick is any successful WingT team has to pass and their line needs to know how to pass block and have fresh backups. Apparently R'dale has forgotten how to do that as our QB had to run for his life this entire year. We were really lucky in that he throws better and more accurate on the run than in a collapsing pocket.

FEAR THE VEER

LET THE BONE ROLL

I THINK THE GEORGIA TECH STUFF IS THE BOMB BUT I THINK YOU REALLY HAVE TO COMMIT TO IT TOTALLY, A WHOLESALE ADOPTION.....TOUGH TO DO UNLESS YOU HAVE A GREAT DEFENSE....I GUESS ANY OFFENSE THAT CAN ATTACK INSIDE, OFF TACKLE AND OUTSIDE WITH POWER, MIS-DIRECTION, AND QUICK HITTERS, SPRINKLE IN A BIT OF PLAY-ACTION PASSING AND SOME SCREENS AND YOU HAVE A GREAT START...PLEASE DONT ASK ME AND I WILL NOT TELL :roflolk:

I'll start it off with a bang and say Wing T is my favorite, and freely admit that I am old school and that I am older than dirt to boot. For those that truly know and understand it, there are more options and variety of plays out of it than just about any other. While it is a typically a run oriented offense, done correctly, the pass threat should be and is always there. With superior understanding and great imagination on the coach's part, the wing t is a blast to watch. I enjoy the deception and cat and mouse of a well run wing t. I have to admit that I am not sure kids around here these days are football savy enough to make a wing t do all it can do. It seems the mental discipline, at least in middle TN, is lacking. I think that is why so many other programs have gone to simpler, but seemingly flashier offenses, and those who still run wing t seem to be having less success.

wing t's inferior. hence why NO ONE runs it.

After watching Nevada the last couple of years (especially tonight against Boise State) The Pistol is awesome. It was designed by Ault as a power offense. As I watch it, I see power, zone, Option, Mid principals, play action and Spread. The more I watcH :popcorneater: it and try to understand it, it does not look very complicated but is very effective. I know it has sprinkled into TN high school football. Only a matter of time before it catches on and teams add their own wrinkle. PISTOL

Agreed!

I think "the Pistol" is particularly well suited for HS teams.