6A State Championship: Maryville v. Smyrna

MHSRebels

If OR thinks they can beat Smyrna maybe they should have the coach call Matt Williams at SHS we are still looking for some out of district games.

And I agree with an earlier post the Punter for MHS won the game. Kept the Bulldogs in the deep end of the field all night.

what OR fan said anything about they could beat smyrna... if you go back and look at my posts i clearly said they woulda probably beaten us this year... if you think OR is intimidated by a team like smyrna your dead wrong dude...we have played riverdale AND oakland when oakland was very good back in the late 80's in the regular season... have williams call blade too, i am sure he would love to play yall..

Officiating was awful not good. The white hat was more worried about a stiff breeze knocking him down for a third time than calling the game. The only complement I have for that crew is that throwing a flag for the center moving the ball was correct every time.

BTW - Prevo was robbed. And, hate me for speculating but Patton wins it if he finishes the game.

Edited by oldrebel

BTW - Prevo was robbed. And, hate me for speculating but Patton wins it if he finishes the game.

I agree...Shawn Prevo should be the offensive mvp!!! He had 2 touchdowns, over 100 yds, more yds per carry, and his team had the most important stat..23 to 21. In the crunch, he made the first downs to seal the game.

Officiating was awful not good. The white hat was more worried about a stiff breeze knocking him down for a third time than calling the game. The only complement I have for that crew is that throwing a flag for the center moving the ball was correct every time.

The center was only penalized once for moving the ball.....I would know because that happens to be me.....

The center was only penalized once for moving the ball.....I would know because that happens to be me.....

Bulldogpride,

Congratulations on a great game and a great season. What "was" the deal with all those early flags? I know they got Maryville's D once for lining up offside I believe, and then I know they made a few calls against you guys before the play got under way, but the tv announcers never really told us what was going on.

Bulldogpride,

Congratulations on a great game and a great season. What "was" the deal with all those early flags? I know they got Maryville's D once for lining up offside I believe, and then I know they made a few calls against you guys before the play got under way, but the tv announcers never really told us what was going on.

They were getting cold and trying to stay warm. :roflol:

Congratulations to Maryville. I caught some flack earlier about my initial assessment of the game. I wasn't trying to make excuses. Y'all won bottom line. Poor execution cost the bulldogs.

I do find it funny that the Maryville fans keep bringing up that their starting QB wasn't playing the second half but when Smyrna fans try and bring up the fact that the bulldogs didn't have their starting LBs in the game they say that's football. That's part of the game. Its all part of the game. Poor execution. Bad calls. Injuries. You can speculate what might have been all you want . The bottom line is Maryville won. Be glad and happy for your young men.

Once again a big shout out for #45. A very good RB. Also you are very wrong in your whining about MVP.

The punter should have been your MVP. Definitely had the biggest impact in the game. IMO.

Congratulations to Maryville. I caught some flack earlier about my initial assessment of the game. I wasn't trying to make excuses. Y'all won bottom line. Poor execution cost the bulldogs.

I do find it funny that the Maryville fans keep bringing up that their starting QB wasn't playing the second half but when Smyrna fans try and bring up the fact that the bulldogs didn't have their starting LBs in the game they say that's football. That's part of the game. Its all part of the game. Poor execution. Bad calls. Injuries. You can speculate what might have been all you want . The bottom line is Maryville won. Be glad and happy for your young men.

Once again a big shout out for #45. A very good RB. Also you are very wrong in your whining about MVP.

The punter should have been your MVP. Definitely had the biggest impact in the game. IMO.

Smyrna played a very good game, your right losing starting LB's does affect your D but, I think the point is Smyrna had a chance to at least deal with that issue, Maryville was playing the game and lost its starting QB, and not for sure if any position is more important then the QB position for any team, taking nothing away from Smyrna but, when a team takes a hit like that the opponent should have had the advantage, I think anyone would agree with that, I believe if these two teams played 10 times it would be a 5 and 5 deal.

Bulldogpride,

The defensive offsides call against Maryville was because......the center moved the ball. When pointed out by the Maryville coaches the call was made the very next play against the offense.

Great Post-you nailed it!!! Did you have Dr. Ferguson for English?

Thanks. No I did not have Ferguson, but my sons did.

A great deal of talk about who did not play is getting old. Heck if I had played Maryville would have won 60-0! But on the other hand I’m too old. I sure never would have called some of the plays Smyrna’s staff did. I mean come on, injury is always a factor.

I agree the officials were not the best for sure. I watched the TEVO’s broadcast and Dyson and that other clown ruined a good historical DVD bound for my library. Why can’t the T$$AA get a real broadcast crew. You see this ineptness year after year. Same ole’ song and dance, Maryville had the easy road to the game, lesser athletes, weaker region, yadda, yadda, yadda. Check the facts 4 of 6 Gold Balls are East of the Blount county line, there sport.

It does not matter who did not play, it mattered who did. Stepping up when your team needs you is an opportunity to excel. The young men who did step in for both teams did a great job. Tough assignment to replace a starter in a State Championship at the 6A level with all the pressure of not letting your team down. Those kids deserve a great deal of respect for giving it their all. Depth on a team is always a good thing.