6A State Championship: Maryville v. Smyrna

MHSRebels

Just when Maryville thought they had class?

Irony.

Maryville winning football state titles not regarded in the best public school classification, NF. Smyrna winning their football state titles in the highest public school classification back-to-back, TFM.

Would have loved to played y'all in 2006 and 2007.

Maryville is the Boise State of Tennessee H.S. football, happy to be there, but ready to be sent back to their place.

Happy to be there...? Really, a team that's been to seven straight title games, happy to be there.

The only thing Maryville is missing is "smurf turf," TFM.

We're working on it.

Smyrna once played Maryville, then continued to play real public schools, TFM.

What is the definition of a real public school? Do tell.

Smyrna doesn't have to play in a lower classification to win state championships, TFM.

Smyrna hazing Maryville in the state championship game, TFM.

If you don't know TFM...you're a GEED.

All joking aside, I just can't help but remember last year White Station reversing fields and the Maryville players being dumb-founded. I guarantee you this is the MOST athletic team you will have seen all year. I guarantee you this is the most STINGY and FAST defense you will have seen all year. The Smyrna offense WILL score pounding the ball in the end zone. Maryville is a great team, no doubt, but having to face adversity at the hands of a team MUCH more athletic, deeper, more athletic team will be an interesting test. The Bulldogs MUST be favors looking at who they've beaten and played, but not by much to the common eye. Coaching can only get you so far. White Station's players last year weren't making a donkey out of GQ, but rather the players chasing White Stations skill position players all over the field. KEY WORD CHASING. I'm sorry, but for me this will not be close. Maryville just does not want it as bad as the Smyrna Bulldogs do and that's the honest truth. There' something special about Smyrna in the state championship game, they're 2-0. Undefeated. Unbeaten. Clutch. I just don't think a team like Maryville has the chance to beat them. All of you Maryville posters keep saying 'The offense gets what the defense gives.' While that sounds great in THEORY, you need to have an offensive identity in the end.

No, it won't be the fastest defense Maryville faces all year. Maryville plays Alcoa every year. On the defensive note, ask Mr. Football Devrin Young about the Maryville defense. I won't even get into the asinine discussion about who wants it more.

I'll tell you guys right now what Maryville will do, play field position and pray Smyrna does not get a short field. Then on offense they will throw the ball probably 70-30 because the secondary of Smyrna is considered the 'soft spot'. 2 turnovers later due to rushed throws and not being able to withstand the pass rush, GQ will throw some trickery that will swing momentum one way or another. Either way, Smyrna will have the chance to throw the knock-out punch and probably will with #5 breaking a long run down the sideline or Mr. Flemming doing it in place of him.

Yeah, Robinette (lowly Maryville's quarterback) has thrown one interception all year. If the pass defense is a soft spot, it will be exploited. A bunch.

State predictions:

Smyrna:

225+yards rushing

120+yards passing

Around 20 first downs

1 Turnover

2 Takeways

Maryville:

80> yards rushing

150> yards passing

12 first downs

2 INTS

1 Takeaway

Score Prediction:

Smyrna - 31

Maryville - 20 (2 FG's for that Mr Football Kicker)

Good luck at the game both teams, may the best team win.

Also, it bears repeating:

Picture this...

Yeah, that mighty Riverdale team came to Boise, er, Maryville for the 6A semi-final game last year, with it's grossly overconfident fans and FSU imitation team and pre-game antics.

November 27, 2009, not all of that confidence and flaming spears and warrior chants could save the mighty team from Murfreesboro and the representative of the state's most obviously dominant and powerful district.

The lowly Rebels, one year from being a 4A school, elevated to the the newly-created 6A classification, put up 42 points on the Midstate powerhouse, while giving up only 14 points with it's first team defense playing. Riverdale got 2 more scores against Maryville's reserves, converting both 2 point conversions after touchdowns, hoping that years from now that the 42-30 score recorded in the record books would eventually fade from history's memory the way they were dominated in the game by the new, upstart 6A team from Maryville....

See you Saturday, oh mighty Bulldogs from the Mecca of power football, Middle Tennessee..

May the best team win!

All in all, I hope for a good game, no injuries, and a Rebel victory.

I am a tad perplexed by the Boise comments as well. "Just happy to be there means it is basically "new" or "unexpected" right? As mentioned we have been there 11 of the past 13 years. I guess Boise was just "happy to be there" when they beat Oklahoma that year huh?

Yes, White Station's QB caused us containment problems last year. But that was LAST year. Smyrna was not around last year, so I assume they have improved right? Think there is slight possibility Maryville might have?

You guys can assume we play poor competition compared to you. Who knows this year you may be right. We don't really care. We have had to play so many "imaginary" games over the years it is ridiculous. Until teams play there is no way of knowing. The only thing close to a common opponent is Smyrna vs Riverdale, Riverdale vs Oak Ridge, and Oak Ridge vs us. Smyrna and Oak Ridge beat Riverdale by virtually the same score. In two games we beat Oak Ridge by a combined score of 73-34. What does that mean? NOTHING really, but it would at least seem to overshadow Boise State comments and "real public school" theories whatever that means.

I hope we can make a game of it. If the entire Smyrna team has us diagnosed with the Boise State complex we might just be able to keep it close.

This should be a great game. I have to go with Smyrna because the teams they have played and beat. But it could go either way. When you have great athletes on both teams you really dont know whats going to happen because one player can take over the game. Goodluck to both teams and hope for an injury free game. Whoever wins the Golden Ball will be well deserving :thumb:

Agree 100% Pepvol. I'm all for talking smack to other grown ups on here.....but, leave the kids out of it. Bad taste IMHO.

I'm sorry , I find a lot of things funny , but singling out high school kids and making fun of them I do not . Giving adult posters a hard time ( like my buddy Bulldawg Bundy ) ... no problem ... making fun of 16-18 year old kids .... not funny at all .

Then keep Kool Aid man and his buddy's pictures off here. Once you start flaunting teenagers then Im gonna start makin fun of them.

I'm sorry , I find a lot of things funny , but singling out high school kids and making fun of them I do not . Giving adult posters a hard time ( like my buddy Bulldawg Bundy ) ... no problem ... making fun of 16-18 year old kids .... not funny at all .

Yeah i dont mind being given a hard time because.....

I posted a similar question sunday and got no response so i will try it again...

what was maryvilles 3 most impressive wins? and what, in yr opinion, was so good about them? anyone can answer...just curious....

Edited by AmericanBullDog