CPA?

Letsplayball

He's not doing a very good job? Let's see....he has the #3 rated freshmen in the country at CPA who played at Rockvale Middle as a 7th grader. A kid who grew up in Greenbrier his entire life decides to up and move across town to CPA. He has a former Vandy player's son who played at a Brentwood Middle School on his team and his dad is now assistant coach. They are 15-3 and have played a pretty tough schedule. They did lose 40 to Ensworth and a tough East Lit. team, but both of those teams I would consider good. I'd say he knows the system, and is doing ok. He will not be fired because he's on the radio, adopts children from Uganda, and is a stand-up guy. Plus, if he was fired, every school in the midstate would be lining up to hire him. I'm not saying it makes him a bad guy, but the guy can coach basketball and knows how to get players. CPA sucked in basketball before he got there.

He has 4 freshmen in his rotation and 2-3 stud 8th graders in the middle school that didn't start their academic career at CPA....I'd say they are probably a lock for the state tournament this year, and if not, next.

I doubt that four freshmen are going to carry the team in 3a to the state tournement unless 3a is just that bad, I doubt it.

Always the same story when privates schools have success they must be cheating/recuriting. How come no one ever wonders why talented kids want to go to successful programs? Maybe because in addition to good academics (check the state website to see information on school scores) privates schools know the best advertisement of their school is good athletics and they hire good coaches. Once you start winning people will want their kids to go there. Notice most of the privates got on the map after they hired a really good coach and started winning. Are some schools cheating sure, public and privates alike. Once the TSSAA makes enough money to cover the lawsuit they lost the last time the went after provates school for cheating they might actully use some investigation instead of relying just on self reporting. By the way when you coach at a private school you usually get a discount on tuition so it was pretty smart move to get a job where you want your kid to go to school.

Edited by Bucksfan

I doubt that four freshmen are going to carry the team in 3a to the state tournement unless 3a is just that bad, I doubt it.

Always the same story when privates schools have success they must be cheating/recuriting. How come no one ever wonders why talented kids want to go to successful programs? Maybe because in addition to good academics (check the state website to see information on school scores) privates schools know the best advertisement of their school is good athletics and they hire good coaches. Once you start winning people will want their kids to go there. Notice most of the privates got on the map after they hired a really good coach and started winning. Are some schools cheating sure, public and privates alike. Once the TSSAA makes enough money to cover the lawsuit they lost the last time the went after provates school for cheating they might actully use some investigation instead of relying just on self reporting. By the way when you coach at a private school you usually get a discount on tuition so it was pretty smart move to get a job where you want your kid to go to school.

1. They play in 2A, not 3A in basketball.

2. 4 freshmen are in their rotation. I didn't say carry them. I did say they are going to be loaded, and if not this year, then next year. But if you don't know who Jalen Lindsey is.....you will. He will be probably be the best player out of the greater Nashville area since Ron Mercer/Brandon Wright.

3. Craig Bradshaw is a mid-major to possible major point guard who is a junior. He basically left Greenbrier and transferred to CPA.

4. I don't think all private schools "recruit". I think you can totally follow the rules of D-II and compete ethically. Do some take advantage? Sure. Do the Ensworth's and BA's of the world have any respect for the rules? Probably not. The point is that CPA is plays in Division I and some would question their ethics.

Maybe "sucked" was too harsh a term. However, let's not discount the fact that CPA's district and competition has totally changed. They aren't beating up on the old District 7A with Ezell, FRA, DCA, etc. Playing 2A basketball is a lot different than making the state back in the old days. Every game is a grind.

I would argue that at least in the mid-state, and before the multiplier, 1A has consistently been competitive with 2A. There were even a few years where East Literature was playing in district 9A and 9A saw the likes of Terrell (Ezell/Vanderbilt), Herndon (DCA/UT/Belmont) and Daniels (Auburn/Lipscomb). I don't see those types of players coming out of mid-state 2A and in high school those types of post players make a huge difference, since so tough to match up size wise. Goodpasture did not make it to state during this decade until it was 2A and they had plenty of good 1A teams. And if you have watched 10AA the past few years, the talent hasn't been great, teams that have finished 2nd or 3rd have not been great teams during these last 5 years. Granted the 2005-06 was very strong, but have teams like MLK , though always good and competitive, been as good since? And yes, now that Maplewood has joined, that makes it much stronger, but that only began last year. But a grind every game? Have you seen some of the scores this year, the upper echelon beating up on the lower echelon? Sure always hard to compare, but a case can be made based on the history of mid-state basketball. Also how can you even compare the CPA's between present and past when two totally different approaches have been taken? During the strongest 1A years it was based on what was available within the school, kids who grew up through the school from elementary, with an occasional transfer coming in. Now as you and others have pointed out there is a transfer approach. You should be able to be very competitive in 2A with that type of approach.

I would argue that at least in the mid-state, and before the multiplier, 1A has consistently been competitive with 2A. There were even a few years where East Literature was playing in district 9A and 9A saw the likes of Terrell (Ezell/Vanderbilt), Herndon (DCA/UT/Belmont) and Daniels (Auburn/Lipscomb). I don't see those types of players coming out of mid-state 2A and in high school those types of post players make a huge difference, since so tough to match up size wise. Goodpasture did not make it to state during this decade until it was 2A and they had plenty of good 1A teams. And if you have watched 10AA the past few years, the talent hasn't been great, teams that have finished 2nd or 3rd have not been great teams during these last 5 years. Granted the 2005-06 was very strong, but have teams like MLK , though always good and competitive, been as good since? And yes, now that Maplewood has joined, that makes it much stronger, but that only began last year. But a grind every game? Have you seen some of the scores this year, the upper echelon beating up on the lower echelon? Sure always hard to compare, but a case can be made based on the history of mid-state basketball. Also how can you even compare the CPA's between present and past when two totally different approaches have been taken? During the strongest 1A years it was based on what was available within the school, kids who grew up through the school from elementary, with an occasional transfer coming in. Now as you and others have pointed out there is a transfer approach. You should be able to be very competitive in 2A with that type of approach.

I'm sorry to interrupt all this "very interesting" basketball talk (which should be on another board, right?), but does anyone have any info on a new football coach for CPA? Names I hear are Paul Wade and Ingle Martin.

. Also how can you even compare the CPA's between present and past when two totally different approaches have been taken? During the strongest 1A years it was based on what was available within the school, kids who grew up through the school from elementary, with an occasional transfer coming in. Now as you and others have pointed out there is a transfer approach. You should be able to be very competitive in 2A with that type of approach.

I didn't start this comparison. I believe you did. I agree it is 2 totally different philosophies, but please don't try to argue that who CPA played 10 years ago is tougher than who they play now. 1A and 2A might have been close, but again it is still tougher to get there in 2A. Again, I'm not discounting what CPA did before Coach Maddux arrived, and I'm in no way a member of TEAM Maddux. Do I feel that CPA has been ethical? No. Do I feel like that CPA has sold its soul over the last 4-5 years to be competitive in athletics? Yes. Do I think changes from an administration standpoint have been made to do this? Yes.

Let's face it.....with these economic times, private schooling is very competitive. Therefore, you have to do what you feel like is in the best interest of the school from a competitive standpoint. I think in some ways CPA feels like they are "above" everyone else. IF ANYONE BELIEVES THAT CPA STAYED DIVISION I TO MINISTER TO OTHER SCHOOLS, they need their head examined. Simply, Maddux wanted to stay Division I, and then be able to get kids in....what Maddux wants....Maddux gets.

I didn't start this comparison...

Sorry, I thought you were using the term "suck" in a comparative term, I must have misinterpreted. Not saying tougher, but closer in the mid-state area (not necessarily state wide and the multiplier has made a huge difference in the competitive balance) then at first I thought you were giving credit for. Actually there are many statements of yours and others I don't disagree with on this thread, some interesting observations. And I will let everyone get back to football (for now).

Wade will more than likely be the head coach at Ensworth in the not too distant future. I doubt he would be willing to give up that upside in the near termm, but stranger things have bappened.

That could happen as the years go by being a HC in football and basketball is tuff on a older guy...Bowers might give up FB for a chosen one, Wade might be it.