CPA?

Letsplayball

I've heard a rumor that Jeff Fisher may be looking for a job, and he has CPA ties and connections.

Rutledge would be a good candidate. Brothers isn't going to CPA, his young kids are going to NCS. CPA has already reached out to Pack for some names....I'm thinking Wade from Ensworth would be a name, along with Ingle. If they back up the money truck and go D-II, they should definitely get Wade. He is a proven head coach, won 7 state titles in 4 classifications, and can help CPA weather the storm until they can move to D-II. Plus, he has been Pack, Bowers and Goodwin's #1 assistant along with his run at Davidson. Plus, with ole Drew being the admissions director, I'm sure they can find some football players

I seem to recall a personal, heartfelt tribute from Coach Mathews to Coach Rutledge in the 2005 game program when MBA played at CPA. It mentioned Coach Mathews knowing the Rutledges from church in Alabama and Jay's admiration for Jeff when Jeff played at Alabama and in the NFL, and as a person in general.

I don't profess to know what happened that caused the coaching change - I only know what I read on here - but based on what I read on the other thread on this topic, I would guess that Rutledge would, out of respect, be hesitant even to interview at CPA given his close relationship with the Mathews family.

I dont know about his relationship with the Matthews family. However going to from JP to CPA is a step up. CPA athletic programs have done alot more than JPII. I realize JP II hasnt really been around that long but CPA has alot going for them in athletics. The football program as a whole is in better shape which is due in part to good coaching by Matthews as he played really tough schedules. JPII right now does not have the resources to compete against the DII big dogs. CPA does have the ability to compete at the level they are currently assigned. I would say its only a matter of time until CPA as well as other private schools go DII. Many reasons exist for why they will and currently why they are not DII. However CPA would supply their coach with the resources to succeed and I dont know if JPII can do this at this time.

I dont know about his relationship with the Matthews family. However going to from JP to CPA is a step up. CPA athletic programs have done alot more than JPII. I realize JP II hasnt really been around that long but CPA has alot going for them in athletics. The football program as a whole is in better shape which is due in part to good coaching by Matthews as he played really tough schedules. JPII right now does not have the resources to compete against the DII big dogs. CPA does have the ability to compete at the level they are currently assigned. I would say its only a matter of time until CPA as well as other private schools go DII. Many reasons exist for why they will and currently why they are not DII. However CPA would supply their coach with the resources to succeed and I dont know if JPII can do this at this time.

[/quot

Good post; however,"CPA does have the ability to compete at the level they are currently assigned." needs to be clarified. They can "compete" - they already have, but they will not regularly do much better than 5-5 or 6-4 unless they schedule cupcakes outside the region (avoid Goodpasture, BGA, DCA, Ft. Campbell, etc.). If those type of records are not satisfactory with the CPA admin. and supporters, the new coach will be in trouble as well if they stay in DI. IMO, DII is the answer and it is what the TSSAA wants them to do. TSSAA will continue to change the rules to keep the privates out of the championship game, beacause TSSAA is controlled by the public schools and they can't stand to see the privates in the DI playoffs. This is not a criticism of the public schools - I respect them and want them to flourish - but it is just the way it is.

[/quot

Good post; however,"CPA does have the ability to compete at the level they are currently assigned." needs to be clarified. They can "compete" - they already have, but they will not regularly do much better than 5-5 or 6-4 unless they schedule cupcakes outside the region (avoid Goodpasture, BGA, DCA, Ft. Campbell, etc.). If those type of records are not satisfactory with the CPA admin. and supporters, the new coach will be in trouble as well if they stay in DI. IMO, DII is the answer and it is what the TSSAA wants them to do. TSSAA will continue to change the rules to keep the privates out of the championship game, beacause TSSAA is controlled by the public schools and they can't stand to see the privates in the DI playoffs. This is not a criticism of the public schools - I respect them and want them to flourish - but it is just the way it is.

Good post. I think it is hard for CPA to do much better than making the playoff in D1. In fact, I believe that Matthews and staff should be highly praised for the job that they did at CPA last year given the talent pool they had to choose from. CPA was usually out manned by 100 pounds each on the defensive and offensive lines. CPA, with an enrollment of 300 is bumped up to 3A and then bumped again up to play 4A teams in their division with 1200 students. And then Pearl -Cohn gets to play students from MLK since they don't have a football program which gives them a pool of 1600 to choose from with out affecting their classification. The TSSAA in their ultimate wisdom makes CPA play schools ( and coop programs) that are 5-6 times their size.

Not a good decision from the CPA administration to join D1 instead of DII small division. What really blows my mind is how the administration screwed up by joining D!, but fired Matthews even though he successfully competed in D1 by making it to the playoffs this year.

The CPA administration says that they joined D1 to minister to the public schools, but when you go to the away games, rarely to you see anyone at the games who is not a parent. The administration is strangely absent at these away games. Additionally, the public school usually only bring about 30-40 fans to the CPA home games which has to hurt the gate.

Good post. I think it is hard for CPA to do much better than making the playoff in D1. In fact, I believe that Matthews and staff should be highly praised for the job that they did at CPA last year given the talent pool they had to choose from. CPA was usually out manned by 100 pounds each on the defensive and offensive lines. CPA, with an enrollment of 300 is bumped up to 3A and then bumped again up to play 4A teams in their division with 1200 students. And then Pearl -Cohn gets to play students from MLK since they don't have a football program which gives them a pool of 1600 to choose from with out affecting their classification. The TSSAA in their ultimate wisdom makes CPA play schools ( and coop programs) that are 5-6 times their size.

Not a good decision from the CPA administration to join D1 instead of DII small division. What really blows my mind is how the administration screwed up by joining D!, but fired Matthews even though he successfully competed in D1 by making it to the playoffs this year.

The CPA administration says that they joined D1 to minister to the public schools, but when you go to the away games, rarely to you see anyone at the games who is not a parent. The administration is strangely absent at these away games. Additionally, the public school usually only bring about 30-40 fans to the CPA home games which has to hurt the gate.

Good post...CPA needs to be in DII Small division, they will never be a big winner in the division they are in now and have nothing in common with the schools they play and your right coachrus, check those gates recipts from those Metro games.

JP2 and BGA would be served better to move from Large to Small division in DII also...makes for a nice division with CPA, BGA and JP2 moving to the small division. :thumb:

Good post...CPA needs to be in DII Small division, they will never be a big winner in the division they are in now and have nothing in common with the schools they play and your right coachrus, check those gates recipts from those Metro games.

JP2 and BGA would be served better to move from Large to Small division in DII also...makes for a nice division with CPA, BGA and JP2 moving to the small division. :thumb:

I agree. The current DII middle and east schools could make up a nice 2 regions (6-7 teams each) with a lot of parity and some great rivalries.

-- Webb

-- Davidson

-- CPA

-- BGA

-- JPII

-- DCA

-- FRA

-- Zion Christian

-- Riverside Christian

-- Ezell-Harding

-- Mt. Juliet Christian

-- St. Andrew's - Sewanee

-- King's Academy

I agree. The current DII middle and east schools could make up a nice 2 regions (6-7 teams each) with a lot of parity and some great rivalries.

-- Webb

-- Davidson

-- CPA

-- BGA

-- JPII

-- DCA

-- FRA

-- Zion Christian

-- Riverside Christian

-- Ezell-Harding

-- Mt. Juliet Christian

-- King's Academy

Great minds think alike...I guess it just makes tooo much sense :popcorneater:

Both Kings Academy (was independent in DII - A which means non playoff and therefore do not play region FB games) and ST. Andrews will be playing 8 man next year (numbers), I am not sure, but I think they can stay TSSAA DII -A in rest of the sports and stay in the region.

I agree though that CPA would be a great addition to DII-A M/E and with a couple other additions, Nashville Christian and Friendship Christian would make a great region the could be split.

I know BGA is choosing to play up because of baseball is the reason, I have heard. JPII has to stay based on enrollment. Are they choosing to play up or is their enrollment dropping?

Edited by Bucksfan

Both Kings Academy (was independent in DII - A which means non playoff and therefore do not play region FB games) and ST. Andrews will be playing 8 man next year (numbers), I am not sure, but I think they can stay TSSAA DII -A in rest of the sports and stay in the region.

I agree though that CPA would be a great addition to DII-A M/E and with a couple other additions, Nashville Christian and Friendship Christian would make a great region the could be split.

I know BGA is choosing to play up because of baseball is the reason, I have heard. JPII has to stay based on enrollment. Are they choosing to play up or is their enrollment dropping?

JPII has to stay. They are just above the cutoff.

-- Webb

-- Davidson

-- CPA

-- BGA

-- JPII

-- DCA

-- FRA

-- Zion Christian

-- Riverside Christian

-- Ezell-Harding

-- Mt. Juliet Christian

-- King's Academy

I would love to add Goodpasture and David Lipscomb to the list as well. Middle TN could have a great division.

I would love to add Goodpasture and David Lipscomb to the list as well. Middle TN could have a great division.

I agree. Lipscomb could probably be better suited for the large division.

NCS and Friendship would be good additions - smaller but getting better every year.

Also, isn't Middle Tennnessee Christian School in Murfreesboro building a pretty good football program.

What about CAK? They would have won it this year if they were in it. With them and Webb, the DII small would be unbelievably competitive and create a lot of interest.