or play

BGA

JPII

FRA

Davidson Academy

Ezell Harding

The choice seems very simple to Hogan :popcorneater:

Edited by Hoganknows

I agree. Lipscomb could probably be better suited for the large division.

NCS and Friendship would be good additions - smaller but getting better every year.

Also, isn't Middle Tennnessee Christian School in Murfreesboro building a pretty good football program.

What about CAK? They would have won it this year if they were in it. With them and Webb, the DII small would be unbelievably competitive and create a lot of interest.

While we are at it, perhaps Division II should actually be split between schools that offer scholarship and schools who don't. I wonder how that would play out?

Coach Rus, I think thats a great point about non financial and financial in the private league. I think this will be what eventually occurs. CPA knows if they went DII right now they would face alot of problems their as well. I think they are probably waiting to see the DII stuff get settled and then like Lipscomb and Goodpasture will eventually join. Now many of the non big boy privates are fighting for their life. Also as much as we hate to admit it we have to look at a move like this for all sports which factors in. Allow me to go briefly on a tangent because I remember when CPA came into existence although I have no ties to the school. Back in the mid to late 90's and on into the early 2000's Tennessee had a great athletic set up. The private divisions you are talking about especially the proposed non financial were all in 1A and in the same district. I remember when CPA, BGA, FRA, DCA, EHCS, FRA, Friendship, Goodpasture, Davidson were all in 1A in the same districts and regions. Goodpasture and Lipscomb played 2A football and Lipscomb competed in 2A in all sports. This set up lasted and worked well for along time as MBA, BA, etc played in higher classification and then they all went to the original D2. At that point all privates played in 1A and 2A. Any school could play up in 3A that didnt want to play in 2A. Then came the multiplier and now the Z plan that actually makes life harder on many of the publics as well.

Coach Rus, I think thats a great point about non financial and financial in the private league. I think this will be what eventually occurs. CPA knows if they went DII right now they would face alot of problems their as well. I think they are probably waiting to see the DII stuff get settled and then like Lipscomb and Goodpasture will eventually join. Now many of the non big boy privates are fighting for their life. Also as much as we hate to admit it we have to look at a move like this for all sports which factors in. Allow me to go briefly on a tangent because I remember when CPA came into existence although I have no ties to the school. Back in the mid to late 90's and on into the early 2000's Tennessee had a great athletic set up. The private divisions you are talking about especially the proposed non financial were all in 1A and in the same district. I remember when CPA, BGA, FRA, DCA, EHCS, FRA, Friendship, Goodpasture, Davidson were all in 1A in the same districts and regions. Goodpasture and Lipscomb played 2A football and Lipscomb competed in 2A in all sports. This set up lasted and worked well for along time as MBA, BA, etc played in higher classification and then they all went to the original D2. At that point all privates played in 1A and 2A. Any school could play up in 3A that didnt want to play in 2A. Then came the multiplier and now the Z plan that actually makes life harder on many of the publics as well.

As you recount history, remember what got us to where we are today.

1. Brentwood Academy became a villian because they won the large school state championship every year. Some coaches (Coach Rankin the main one, IMO)hated losing to BA, who recruited, so they pushed for the public/private split. Law suits even followed.

2. Small publics (Trousdale County for one) lost their dominance of 1A to public schools (primarily CPA, DCA, and Boyd Buchanan) so they led a campaign against privates, jumped up to a higher classification voluntarily, and eventually the first multiplier arrived.

3. More multipliers and more division happened, so many small privates jumped to DII (DCA, Ezell, Davidson, etc.). Those who stayed are still held in contempt (CPA, Goodpasture, etc.) and accused of recruiting.

As you recount history, remember what got us to where we are today.

1. Brentwood Academy became a villian because they won the large school state championship every year. Some coaches (Coach Rankin the main one, IMO)hated losing to BA, who recruited, so they pushed for the public/private split. Law suits even followed.

2. Small publics (Trousdale County for one) lost their dominance of 1A to public schools (primarily CPA, DCA, and Boyd Buchanan) so they led a campaign against privates, jumped up to a higher classification voluntarily, and eventually the first multiplier arrived.

3. More multipliers and more division happened, so many small privates jumped to DII (DCA, Ezell, Davidson, etc.). Those who stayed are still held in contempt (CPA, Goodpasture, etc.) and accused of recruiting.

I agree with points 1 and 2. If you don't think Maddux is recruiting to CPA you are a lost sheep.

I agree with points 1 and 2. If you don't think Maddux is recruiting to CPA you are a lost sheep.

If true he should be fired because he is not doing a very good job and they should recruit FB players too and if they are maybe that is the real reason Matthews was let go because he was not very good at it either.

Back to the point of the thread. Latest on Coaching search, heard that Ellison(AD) talked to Alexander at Cumberland, can anyone verify or have info on the conversation. If true, very interesting. Heard Alexander was holding out for Gallatin.

Edited by Bucksfan

If true he should be fired because he is not doing a very good job and they should recruit FB players too and if they are maybe that is the real reason Matthews was let go because he was not very good at it either.

Back to the point of the thread. Latest on Coaching search, heard that Ellison(AD) talked to Alexander at Cumberland, can anyone verify or have info on the conversation. If true, very interesting. Heard Alexander was holding out for Gallatin.

Alexander stays!

He's not doing a very good job? Let's see....he has the #3 rated freshmen in the country at CPA who played at Rockvale Middle as a 7th grader. A kid who grew up in Greenbrier his entire life decides to up and move across town to CPA. He has a former Vandy player's son who played at a Brentwood Middle School on his team and his dad is now assistant coach. They are 15-3 and have played a pretty tough schedule. They did lose 40 to Ensworth and a tough East Lit. team, but both of those teams I would consider good. I'd say he knows the system, and is doing ok. He will not be fired because he's on the radio, adopts children from Uganda, and is a stand-up guy. Plus, if he was fired, every school in the midstate would be lining up to hire him. I'm not saying it makes him a bad guy, but the guy can coach basketball and knows how to get players. CPA sucked in basketball before he got there.

He has 4 freshmen in his rotation and 2-3 stud 8th graders in the middle school that didn't start their academic career at CPA....I'd say they are probably a lock for the state tournament this year, and if not, next.

... CPA sucked in basketball before he got there.

Now, now SmokeStack, sucked before he got there, really? I will have to disagree on that point. Maddux arrived in 2006. From 2000-05, the team averaged 20 wins per year, which included a 30 win season, had 3 sectional/sweet 16 appearances, back to back district regular season championships, back to back regional championships, one sectional championship, one state tournament appearance and one state tournament win. Outside of back to back district tournament championships (which is primarily window dressing for the real events - regionals, sectionals, and state), nothing has yet to be accomplished that had not been accomplished before (unless you want to argue a 31 win season and averaging more wins per year). If that is a program that sucked, I am sure more programs wish they'd "suck" like that. :roflol:

Now, now SmokeStack, sucked before he got there, really? I will have to disagree on that point. Maddux arrived in 2006. From 2000-05, the team averaged 20 wins per year, which included a 30 win season, had 3 sectional/sweet 16 appearances, back to back district regular season championships, back to back regional championships, one sectional championship, one state tournament appearance and one state tournament win. Outside of back to back district tournament championships (which is primarily window dressing for the real events - regionals, sectionals, and state), nothing has yet to be accomplished that had not been accomplished before (unless you want to argue a 31 win season and averaging more wins per year). If that is a program that sucked, I am sure more programs wish they'd "suck" like that. :roflol:

Maybe "sucked" was too harsh a term. However, let's not discount the fact that CPA's district and competition has totally changed. They aren't beating up on the old District 7A with Ezell, FRA, DCA, etc. Playing 2A basketball is a lot different than making the state back in the old days. Every game is a grind. I'd say playing East Lit., Ensworth, Maplewood, etc. is a little different from the above mentioned competition. And from 1994-2000, Ezell and DCA totally dominated the basketball scene. I'm not a Maddux lover or anything, but there is a new "buzz" about CPA athletics. Is it fair? Maybe not. Is it the right thing to run off good coaches to land the "big fish"?. It might be questionable to stupid considering these economic times to fire a guy in football that has done nothing but played with the cards that the Athletic Director and Administration made. If I was Coach Mathews, I'd say thanks for ending this misery. Or as I'm sure they've done, went behind his back and decided he was no longer "good" enough for them after asking a man to move his entire family up here......and then let's go get a "big name" where everyone will say WOW LOOK AT US. Unless they go Division II, there is no way that they can keep this sham up. Because in football, let's face it.....this whole situation is a complete joke.