CPA?

Letsplayball

If McSwain is as good as you all say he is, and if he is a football genius who was already on staff, then why is he not the new head coach......... I doubt Ingle begs anyone to stay. I am sure with his connections he will do just fine without having to beg anyone. I think Ingle will have a really good staff if he is allowed to use his connections. Im not trying to knock McSwain just asking why he wasn't given the chance if he is as good as you say.

The word is that some of the parents thought McSwain was too hard on their kids. He didn't coddle them enough. I wish Martin all the best. Perhaps "beg" wasn't the best choice of words. McSwain will have lots of options, I just hope he will stay at CPA and coach. Other names being tossed out are Ed Caudill and Cooper Wallace.

If Hollywood ever wants to remake the movie Hoosiers, producers need not look further than this tiny cache of bandwidth to find their extras for the barber shop or first practice scenes in the beginning of the movie.

Congrats to Ingle.

Would you not be critical of a school who just hired a coach who has no head coaching experience?

CPA was a fun program to watch under Matthews helm and they were competitive but the administration and TSSAA has put them at a disadvantage in this new district.

I see parents want their players coddled. Well good look to Ingle in coddling football players and trying to turn the ship around at the same time.

Would you not be critical of a school who just hired a coach who has no head coaching experience?

CPA was a fun program to watch under Matthews helm and they were competitive but the administration and TSSAA has put them at a disadvantage in this new district.

I see parents want their players coddled. Well good look to Ingle in coddling football players and trying to turn the ship around at the same time.

Criticism is fine. I think it is better served with a body of work on which to base the criticism.

If schools hire only the experienced (the same could be applied to the corporate world or many other arenas of life as well), at some point, the coaching pool dries up. Young blood has to be infused at some point; it’s a Catch-22 otherwise.

I don’t really have a problem with much of the commentary on this thread (in fact, the post about “young leadership†was spot-on in a general sense, at least based on my travels and in my opinion). But, the movie analogy still applies. The crowds were smothering Coach Dale with their armchair coaching before he even had a chance to tell the throngs how he did things.

The CPA teams of yesteryear would lay sod over the Pearl-Cohns and Maplewoods of the same era (P-C may have been a battle, but not nearly as much after Henderson and Beard left), and that was at a time with larger enrollment disparities than there are today between those three schools. What’s the difference now? It’s certainly not reinvention of the game at those two Metro schools. And it’s not just the coaching at CPA.

News footage of Signing Day on Old Hickory Boulevard in the late 90s looks vastly different from what is seen today at the same address. Perhaps that's a good place to start before coaching is deemed the primary issue.

On the day that Coach Matthews was dismissed, a friend of mine who is very close to Coach Matthews told me that would go after a prominent name and Ingle Martin was the name he was hearing.

That was a couple of months ago, so I just wonder if this was the plan all along. If not, then I need to get stock tips from my friend, because he can see into the future.

Though the administration wouldn’t admit it, I think there is always a plan. I just hate that a good coach/good man like Jay and his family have to go through the hurt in order for another to get his opportunity. I’d have no problem if it included a clean, evaluation process, but it doesn’t. I can relate. Went through an evaluation process during 03-04 concluding I was a fit, had two outstanding competitive seasons during 03-04 and 04-05 which resulted in many school firsts including hosting back to back sectional games, winning one to earn a trip to state with a win in the state tournament. During these two years received multiple honors and administrative compliments and then in February of 06 myself and others were told by the AD this was my best coaching job ever. Around that same time/shortly thereafter, someone made it known about his desire to be a head high school coach. One month later (first week of March of 06), I was brought in, told I was now not the right fit and that my contract would not be renewed. Completely blindsided, caught totally off guard. Say or think what you want, but that should never happen. And what happened to Jay should have never happened the way it did.

Sadly, it is the nature of the beast. I don’t care how much success the new coach has, it will never make it right, though for too many success makes it much too palatable. I can say all that in a very matter of fact manner without a hint of bitterness. It is just the way it is, but I don’t have to like it for anyone else, ever have to agree with it and I know it is not right.

I would except multiple people to come with Ingle from Ensworth and maybe more from other local private schools. Should be interesting.

Have been at Maplewood to watch the Basketball teams compete. We as a school has what it takes to play in this tough district, I witnessed it tonight with the basketball teams. Ingal is a great addition to a great athletic department. CPA can compete at the level they have us in. God is in control of the people who have made decisions for our school and we will abide by them. Go lions in the path that God has set forth before you!

I am an outsider in this situation but this is my opinion so lets see if this makes sense. For starters what probaly got Matthews fired was losing to Lipscomb and Goodpasture regularly. However all of those games were extemely close and came down to a few plays. However those are comprable schools that many would say has similar talent and resources as CPA. Before I continue I have been told Matthews is a great man and from what I saw of CPA a great coach. This hire is one for the future. Keep in mind eventually all private schools will go D2 when the time is right. Ingle's wife is the softball coach and he will be at CPA for along time. Therefore he brings stability to the program for the future. With his background and resources he will be able to hire a good staff and I bet in time CPA will let him do that. I think the administration does not expect him to win a state title next year. However I believe they will have that expectation in the future and it will probably be met. So now people may be thinking this isnt a great hire in time I believe that it will be. Coach Matthews will land on his feet and Ingle has his work cut out for him. Many times administrators look at how does the future of our program look. Are things going to improve? Well only time will tell.

Have been at Maplewood to watch the Basketball teams compete. We as a school has what it takes to play in this tough district, I witnessed it tonight with the basketball teams. Ingal is a great addition to a great athletic department. CPA can compete at the level they have us in. God is in control of the people who have made decisions for our school and we will abide by them. Go lions in the path that God has set forth before you!

So, God told CPA to fire your ex Head Football Coach :popcorneater:

Very typical response of a loyal CPA supporter, but it still doesn’t negate leadership responsibility to follow educational best practices let alone the philosophical, relational and Scriptural aspects.

The primary aspect is the talent level. Basketball and football are different because it takes so many fewer players in basketball. It appears the approach decided to be more competitive/win more games is to hire those with local names and some type of recruiting attraction/background even though the decision was made to stay DI. One has to be very careful how that recruiting attraction is utilized if you are going to compete within the rules. And you have to be careful not sacrificing the ministry and testimony aspects in order to win games.

As a former college coach I could have recruited, but I thought that was the school’s job, I was to stay away from that to be above reproach and was to build the program from within, not being the guy who attracted from without. Yes, leadership does have the responsibility, right, and authority to lead in the path it chooses, but when you change the rules mid-stream and affect people you brought in under a different context it only leads to messy break-ups. And that should not happen. Yes, time will tell and time is always a friend of truth.

Though the administration wouldn’t admit it, I think there is always a plan. I just hate that a good coach/good man like Jay and his family have to go through the hurt in order for another to get his opportunity. I’d have no problem if it included a clean, evaluation process, but it doesn’t. I can relate. Went through an evaluation process during 03-04 concluding I was a fit, had two outstanding competitive seasons during 03-04 and 04-05 which resulted in many school firsts including hosting back to back sectional games, winning one to earn a trip to state with a win in the state tournament. During these two years received multiple honors and administrative compliments and then in February of 06 myself and others were told by the AD this was my best coaching job ever. Around that same time/shortly thereafter, someone made it known about his desire to be a head high school coach. One month later (first week of March of 06), I was brought in, told I was now not the right fit and that my contract would not be renewed. Completely blindsided, caught totally off guard. Say or think what you want, but that should never happen. And what happened to Jay should have never happened the way it did.

Sadly, it is the nature of the beast. I don’t care how much success the new coach has, it will never make it right, though for too many success makes it much too palatable. I can say all that in a very matter of fact manner without a hint of bitterness. It is just the way it is, but I don’t have to like it for anyone else, ever have to agree with it and I know it is not right.

I hate to hear that you were treated this way (just as I didn't like the way Matthews was treated). I can see why you feel the way you do about those responsible and hope you've been able to rise above it.