What the heck are they eating at Baylor!

RMC

Baylor looked great today at the Kyle Maynard Duals. The match of the day was Collins Hill's Partridge against Watson from Baylor........and it wasn't a match.....Watson destroyed him before he pinned him.

Collins Hill trailed until the last 2 matches.

Hats off to Baylor......great job today.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RMC,

It was my understanding that Collins Hill was wrestling without a couple of their starters today (Ferguson-Mitchell and Rickman if memory serves me correctly). That may have pulled Collins Hill a little more ahead depending on how it all went down. Still appears to have been a great showing by Baylor... nice work Red Raiders!

Any chance on us getting box scores or an article from the event?

BTW, the Watson Partridge match doesn't shock me... Partridge needs to adjust to that weight class a little I think.

Edited by ghouse

RMC,

It was my understanding that Collins Hill was wrestling without a couple of their starters today (Ferguson-Mitchell and Rickman if memory serves me correctly). That may have pulled Collins Hill a little more ahead depending on how it all went down. Still appears to have been a great showing by Baylor... nice work Red Raiders!

Any chance on us getting box scores or an article from the event?

BTW, the Watson Partridge match doesn't shock me... Partridge needs to adjust to that weight class a little I think.

If I get a box score I'll post it. Yes....no Ferguson or Rickman....but that doesn't take away from Baylor's day. They looked good all day.

I think Father Ryan was going for 5th, but I didn't see the match outcome. Valdosta beat FR and Baylor beat Valdosta handily.

Watson, Manley, and Doster looked great and the 285 stuck CH's.

Eagles battle back to win Kyle Maynard Duals

December 22, 2010, 8:05pm

By Brandon Brigman

GNWA Correspondent

bsbrigman@gmail.com

SUWANEE — Mac Bennett is no stranger to big matches.

The Collins Hill senior has wrestled against some of the best teams across the country over the last three years.

So when Collins Hill led by just one going into the final match against Baylor (Tenn.) in the Kyle Maynard Duals on Wendesday, he never flinched.

Bennett used a first-period pin over Timothy Shober to give Collins Hill a 39-32 victory in the finals over Baylor.

"It wasn't really me. I mean, the credit really goes to (Matthew) Connell for his win," Bennett said. "That match put us over the top. He took the pressure off me and I didn't have to pin, just win."

Collins Hll regained the championship of the event it hosts in honor famed alum Kyle Maynard, who wrestled for the Eagles in the early 2000s. Collins Hill lost in the finals of last year's tournament to nationally ranked Brandon (Fla.).

"We had to bring it back home," Bennett said. "Kyle is such a great guy and I've got to know him a lot lately."

Collins Hill (17-0) came into the tournament fresh off a win at the Midwest Classic in Kansas City and ranked No. 18 in the nation by Amateur Wrestling News.

The Eagles led Baylor 15-12 after Nick Holbert (pin), Sean Russell (decision) and Todd Headlum (forfeit) picked up wins.

Then the shocker of the night happen when Collins Hill's best wrestler and two-time state champion Bazell Partirdge was pinned by Zach Watson, a Tennessee state champ, in the second period. It's the first time in his high school career Partridge has been pinned.

"That kid is a super stud," Collins Hill coach Josh Stephen said of Watson. "(Partridge) isn't used to losing, especially being pinned. It was a sign of bad things to come."

Collins Hill lost the next four matches to trail 29-15. Then Dustin Ellis and Andrew Krawulski came through with big pins to put Collins Hill back in the match.

"We knew our strength was in the middle of the lineup and we tried to build a big enough lead to hold them off," Baylor coach Ben Nelson said. "They are just a quality program and we know it's always going to be a close match with them."

Connell came through with a pin two matches later to put Collins Hill ahead 33-32 and then Bennett secured the win. It was a sweet victory for Bennett after being pinned in big duals against Brandon (Fla.) and Blair Academy (N.J.) last season.

"That was more exciting than I wanted it to be," Stephen said. "It made the hero out of some other kids that normally are not."

The dual was might not have been as close if the Eagles weren't without defending state champion Drew Ferugson-Mitchell and state runner-up Spencer Rickman, who had to miss the tournament for personal reasons.

The Eagles cruised through pool play of the tournament, defeating Hayfield (Va.) 72-12, Cedar Cliff (Pa.) 40-22 and Ola 55-16. Collins Hill then beat Hillcrest (S.C.) 55-17 in the semifinals.

COLLINS HILL 39, BAYLOR (Tenn.) 32

At Collins Hill

215 pounds: Nick Holbert (Collins Hill) fall Bryan Starnes (Baylor) 1:49

285: John Mackey (Baylor) fall Zach Carmin (Collins Hill) :36

103: Sean Russell (Collins Hill) dec. Cole Holloway (Baylor) 3-2

112: John Eady (Baylor) fall Zach Shuptrine (Collins Hill) :49

119: Todd Headlum (Collins Hill) forfeit

125: Zach Watson (Baylor) fall Bazell Partridge (Collins Hill) 2:38

130: Bennett Reece (Baylor) tech fall Jonathan Hernandez (Collins Hill) 19-4

135: Alex Manley (Baylor) dec. Joseph Doyague (Collins Hill) 13-7

140: Stuar Doster (Baylor) dec. Steven Bradtmueller (Collins Hill) 8-4

145: Dustin Ellis (Collins HIll) fall Jake Standeper (Baylor) 4:56

152: Andrew Krawulski (Collins Hill) fall Russell Burton (Baylor) 1:48

160: Matt Cole (Baylor) dec. Michael Spikes (Collins Hill) 3-2

171: Matthew Connell (Collins Hill) fall Matt Bodine (Baylor) 2:28

189: Mac Bennett (Collins Hill) fall Timothy Shober (Baylor) 1:11

I am sure mocs2011 will have a few reasons why CH did not beat tbsfbag 84-0... flu, Christmas break, called off the dogs, etc.

Looking forward to seeing Baylor with a 119 soon brun!

He would probably say something more reasonable like, "What do you think the score would be if they had their 112 (national champion) and their 130 (5A State Runner Up)?"

Probably something a little closer to 49 or 50 - 21.

On another note Baylor's 125 is a true BEAST to have pinned Partridge!

Edited by yomamacantrassle

He would probably say something more reasonable like, "What do you think the score would be if they had their 112 (national champion) and their 130 (5A State Runner Up)?"

Probably something a little closer to 49 or 50 - 21.

On another note Baylor's 125 is a true BEAST to have pinned Partridge!

Lol....could not have said it better. Appears that Baylor wrestled well, especially their returning state champions. However, I doubt they'll be too satisfied with this moral victory against a Collins Hill lineup missing a couple of key wrestlers.

Lol....could not have said it better. Appears that Baylor wrestled well, especially their returning state champions. However, I doubt they'll be too satisfied with this moral victory against a Collins Hill lineup missing a couple of key wrestlers.

Cha ching.....

Pay the MAN and that be me..

You know I think tbsfbag were missing 3 starters also, so cut your moral victory speech out and open up your wallet.

Tell me when you see another lock bet and I'll go double or nothing on the 2 benji's you owe me.

the ga team is I think slightly over rated this year. Just saying

bcb iii :flower:

the ga team is I think slightly over rated this year. Just saying

bcb iii :flower:

We're getting ready to find out....

12/29/10 - Powerade Invitational (PA)

01/22/11 - Final Four Duals (PA)

Ask some of the Baylor guys about the two Scott brothers from Valdosta....

Edited by RMC