DCHS RUNNING UP SCORE

TheLegend597

In what games have you seen them running up the score by leaving starters in when they were way ahead? I have seen numerous games when their second team and in some cases their third team out score the starters of their opponents. They are a run and gun team and that is the same style of their bench.

How much is too much?

You apparently haven`t been to any of their games. He plays the bench on an average of one and a half quarters per game, meaning the starters play only a little over a half. He does this for three reasons.

1) That`s how you prep your bench players to be sucessful starters and

2) it`s a major factor in wearing down opponents

3) he knows if he runs up the score, there will be a few complainers waiting to take a cheap shot.

64, you are so right.

Union City went through this as well...People couldn't understand how UC would beat teams 45-50 points...Thought it was just the worst thing ever...Problem was UC was playing 10 players...Subbing 5 in and 5 out...Most of the time the starters wouldn't even hit the floor coming out of halftime and it was the JV team playing from midway through the third quarter on...What are you supposed to do as a coach, tell your freshmen not to go out and score ??...

Now, I have a problem if you are beating a team by 50 points and your starters are still on the floor in the 4th quarter...People on this site will tell you UC did that but it's a flat out lie...I sat and watched freshmen play plenty of times after about the 4 minute mark of the third quarter on during those years...I saw a kid score close to 30 points in the 4th quarter alone one night in Dresden when UC put 130 on Peabody in a tournament game and he was JV at the time...What do you do, take the kid out ??

It's the other teams responsibility to keep you from scoring, not the team doing the scoring. The starters should get more playing time, period. Then the second string and down the line. There's no shot clock. If you're getting your tail whupped, take the air out of the ball and get beat by less. Let the clock run after you're down by 35 and take your medicine.

Edited by ksgovols

Any team in any sport has the right to beat there opponent by as much as they can. If the winning coach wants to play his starters and beat a team by 50 points then so be it. Though it would not be wise since he could protect his starters from fatigue and potential injury. Excuse my ignorance of TSSAA rules but is there no mercy rule that will allow the clock to run? I know some states have this.

As far as it not being "nice" to run up the score or to spare the other team embarrassment, those attitudes are for losers... As the old saying goes, winning isn't everything, it's the only thing. .

Any team in any sport has the right to beat there opponent by as much as they can. If the winning coach wants to play his starters and beat a team by 50 points then so be it. Though it would not be wise since he could protect his starters from fatigue and potential injury. Excuse my ignorance of TSSAA rules but is there no mercy rule that will allow the clock to run? I know some states have this.

As far as it not being "nice" to run up the score or to spare the other team embarrassment, those attitudes are for losers... As the old saying goes, winning isn't everything, it's the only thing. .

Your name name says it all. Rarley does this happen in baseball. There is an idea of sportsmanship that comes with the game. Yes, there is a mercy rule for basketball and football. There comes a point that you don't put your best players back in the game. DC spreads their mins pretty evenly. There is no coach in this world that would have his 3rd string in the game and tell them to hold the ball. But I've seen other coaches that will ahve a 30 point lead in the 4th with 2 mins to go and they put their starters in so they can dunk. That is classless and called for. With sport some a since of humility and responsibility.