Single A State Poll 1/10/11

TitanicVol

Wildbird.I wouldn't worry about the rankings.Everything is going to work out at the end if it's meant to be.I admit,I like looking at the ranking also..mostly lets the team know they are receiving recognition.I kinda agree though.To win by large margins and drop 2 spots.What kind of message does that send.To have to go out and beat teams bad like you mentioned?And Lake Co could do that to some of the teams.But Coach Johnson won't do that against teams for the most part.As for the camp and playing Wayne Co.Could be good and bad.The good is we also know who their shooters are,how tall they are.But they may also know now that we are faster in person and slow the ball down and play a zone and more of a half court game.I'd personally wish we hadn't played in the camps.I'd rather play AA teams and stay away from teams you may meet in the region ,substate ,especially Single A teams that we could play in the playoffs.

Edited by mrbigster

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the voters aren't impressed with Greenfield and as a result,Lake Co got fewer first place votes than last week.Last week in the polls Lake Co had 7 first place votes.this week the Lady Falcons had 4.Had any of the voters actually watched the game,would have known Greenfield is a quality team.Their early losses probaby pays a little part in that but I believe they have a point gusrd back that has been hurt.We'll see as Greenfield goes forward.There are a lot of teams that don't want any part of Greenfield in a loser go home game.Looks like Wayne Co picked up all the Middle Tenn and Moore Co votes. Last week Wayne Co had 2 first place votes.This week they had 9.

Doesn't seem like any Scotts Hills fans ever post anything about their team.I had friend from Lake Co that has realiives there and has seen them.Said they had a good team.Pt.Guard has said,thought they looked better this year than last.If anyone has a gripe about the top spot,may could be them with an unbeaten record.I see they did move up.But still..being a small town and a very good team..would think they'd have some posters.I guess they're thinking it's all going to work out and no need of posting.

Edited by mrbigster

Doesn't seem like any Scotts Hills fans ever post anything about their team.I had friend from Lake Co that has realiives there and has seen them.Said they had a good team.Pt.Guard has said,thought they looked better this year than last.If anyone has a gripe about the top spot,may could be them with an unbeaten record.I see they did move up.But still..being a small town and a very good team..would think they'd have some posters.I guess they're thinking it's all going to work out and no need of posting.

No gripes from me bigster,#5 means that they have not gone unnoticed and who really knows if say #1 played #10 how it'd play out.Matchups,how the game is called,and even luck of the bounce dictates the outcome of games,just as skill and coaching do.If I were to complain it would have more to do with pollsters looking more at records than being informed as to how "good" a team really is.Scotts Hill has a big rival game against a tough AAA team tonight(some polls have them in the top 10),and if they can pull that one out maybe some will take notice,but if not they'll probably drop for losing to a team that "should" beat them.The fact still remains,howeaver unlikely,that if the worst team in the worst dist. in state wins out come tourney time,they'll go to the 'boro with the same mathematical chance as the other seven has.As for the lack of posts....I'm stumped,it seems that for this point in the season the post count is very low statewide.You folks up in region 7 keep current posts going pretty well and region 6 somewhat,but everyone else seems to be sittin'tight and waiting.Good luck to your Lady Falcons this season,I expected them to be there last year....as I do this season,and if "my" Lady Lions cant bring home the gold ball I'd love to see a Western division squad do it(and Lake Co. has a great shot...in my opinion). :thumb:

Looks like the voters aren't impressed with Greenfield and as a result,Lake Co got fewer first place votes than last week.Last week in the polls Lake Co had 7 first place votes.this week the Lady Falcons had 4.Had any of the voters actually watched the game,would have known Greenfield is a quality team.Their early losses probaby pays a little part in that but I believe they have a point gusrd back that has been hurt.We'll see as Greenfield goes forward.There are a lot of teams that don't want any part of Greenfield in a loser go home game.Looks like Wayne Co picked up all the Middle Tenn and Moore Co votes. Last week Wayne Co had 2 first place votes.This week they had 9.

Don't know about the other 8 votes for Wayne Co., but 1 first place vote came from WestTennessee. The Jackson Sun.

Edited by cat1973

No gripes from me bigster,#5 means that they have not gone unnoticed and who really knows if say #1 played #10 how it'd play out.Matchups,how the game is called,and even luck of the bounce dictates the outcome of games,just as skill and coaching do.If I were to complain it would have more to do with pollsters looking more at records than being informed as to how "good" a team really is.Scotts Hill has a big rival game against a tough AAA team tonight(some polls have them in the top 10),and if they can pull that one out maybe some will take notice,but if not they'll probably drop for losing to a team that "should" beat them.The fact still remains,howeaver unlikely,that if the worst team in the worst dist. in state wins out come tourney time,they'll go to the 'boro with the same mathematical chance as the other seven has.As for the lack of posts....I'm stumped,it seems that for this point in the season the post count is very low statewide.You folks up in region 7 keep current posts going pretty well and region 6 somewhat,but everyone else seems to be sittin'tight and waiting.Good luck to your Lady Falcons this season,I expected them to be there last year....as I do this season,and if "my" Lady Lions cant bring home the gold ball I'd love to see a Western division squad do it(and Lake Co. has a great shot...in my opinion). :thumb:

Don't know about the other 8 votes for Wayne Co., but 1 first place vote came from WestTennessee. The Jackson Sun.

That doesn't surprise anyone in Lake Co one bit..They never have given Lake Co much credit,That why I quit buying the Jackson Sun.Use to buy it every morning.

Edited by mrbigster

We've been keeping the district and the region going.I thought Lake Co would have been there last year as well.I personally think last years team was better.We have a couple more shooters this year but dont think we have the overall team speed.But then again..looked very good against Humboldt and played preety hard against Greenfield,a team that just might give some teams some trouble come tournament time.We have been playing a lot better lately though.Like you said,could be about 6 teams to really have a claim for the #1 spot. Also like you said..is going to be about matchups..and sometimes who gets the calls from the officials..coaching could play a part in a close game..liked to have cost us at Greenfield..plus sometimes get some lucky bounces.I'd like to see some teams from our area,especially a team from a small town that hasn't been there much if at all.I hope Lake Co,Greenfield or Scotts Hiil. personally.Nothing against Bradford or Gleason but they have been there enough.Of course if none of us are there..would like to see them represent if we don't go.Good luck this season.

Edited by mrbigster

Lady Huskies of Northe Greene are good. They have the best kept secret in the state...Miss Britton. She can play. She is tough, quick and will light it up! Very good Freshmen that is really come into her own as well..Sometimes the Lady Huskies are a little short of strategy....You should see them in the 'Boro. Real shame, most likely will be against one of the W. TN teams...which I think this is too good a match up for round one.

Lady Huskies of Northe Greene are good. They have the best kept secret in the state...Miss Britton. She can play. She is tough, quick and will light it up! Very good Freshmen that is really come into her own as well..Sometimes the Lady Huskies are a little short of strategy....You should see them in the 'Boro. Real shame, most likely will be against one of the W. TN teams...which I think this is too good a match up for round one.

You have to beat 'em all to win it all,but you do realize that there's no seeding at the 'Boro.....right? The matchups are made through the "blind" draw system,and concievably the best two teams there could meet in round one,with the only restriction being that teams from the same dist. or region are put in different brackets.I personaly believe that this is a good system,because if you can't beat a team in the first round,you wouldn't have in the final either.The only drawback is that the silver ball doesn't always mean second best,just second place...but hey,who goes to state to bring home second?

It's not that we (SH) don't care about the polls or getting respect from the rest of the state, but honestly it isn't talked about a whole lot around here. Our girls know that the polls, an undefeated season, and/or public opinion doesn't really matter in terms of the main goal- a state title.

SH had a very good team last year, and we watched as Middleton stayed atop the state polls (deservedly so we thought) for a long time. Middleton defeated us twice in the regular season and ended up with a perfect district mark. However, our girls really came together at the right time (tourney time) and defeated Middleton twice for the district and regional championship. Both teams then proved their worth in substate and made it to the state tournament. And so, being on the 'other side' of it, we've seen that the 'undefeated record' and the 'state #1 ranking' doesn't equal a state title, or even a state appearance for that matter.

Also, there are VERY good teams ranked atop the state poll... we can't really argue against Wayne Co, Jackson Co, Moore Co, or Lake Co - all of whom are very good teams and who have state championships among them.

So it's not that we're unconcerned or ambivolent about the rankings and these message boards, just realistic (that plus we don't have very many people in our small town who consider message board banter to be a worthwhile hobby lol).

That's my .02 :thumb:

It's not that we (SH) don't care about the polls or getting respect from the rest of the state, but honestly it isn't talked about a whole lot around here. Our girls know that the polls, an undefeated season, and/or public opinion doesn't really matter in terms of the main goal- a state title.

SH had a very good team last year, and we watched as Middleton stayed atop the state polls (deservedly so we thought) for a long time. Middleton defeated us twice in the regular season and ended up with a perfect district mark. However, our girls really came together at the right time (tourney time) and defeated Middleton twice for the district and regional championship. Both teams then proved their worth in substate and made it to the state tournament. And so, being on the 'other side' of it, we've seen that the 'undefeated record' and the 'state #1 ranking' doesn't equal a state title, or even a state appearance for that matter.

Also, there are VERY good teams ranked atop the state poll... we can't really argue against Wayne Co, Jackson Co, Moore Co, or Lake Co - all of whom are very good teams and who have state championships among them.

So it's not that we're unconcerned or ambivolent about the rankings and these message boards, just realistic (that plus we don't have very many people in our small town who consider message board banter to be a worthwhile hobby lol).

That's my .02 :thumb:

Can't argue about anything you said..Good luck to your girls.