Region 5-AA

coachrus

District 9AA versus 10AA

Westmoreland (4) at CPA (1)

East Literature (3) at White House (2)

next bracket:

Whites Creek (4) at Sycamore (1)

Macon County (3) at Maplewood (2)

I am not sure that Maplewood can host due to TSSAA sanctions related to the girls team. Will their game be played at Macon County?

The East Lit - White House game should be a good one. East Lit beat White House early in the season by 15 at White House and is ranked as high as #4 in the state in some AA rankings. East Lit has some rebounders and can wear teams out on the boards. How does White House stack up inside?

Whites Creek improved tremendously as the season progressed. They gave CPA fits in the semi finals and took East Lit to overtime Monday night. Can Whites Creek pull off the upset? Sycamore hit 13 three pointers in their win over White House so they can obviously shot the ball. Do they have an inside game as well?

White House has good overall size and length. They can play that zone defense extremely well. They are well coached and very athletic.

Even though Sycamore is guard heavy, they do have an all district & all tournament post player. Back-up post play is also solid.

That being said, there's just no way a 9AA team can beat any of the 10AA teams. I'm surprised they haven't just canceled the first round games. Maybe they should just institute the Mercy Rule from the opening tip so that all the 9AA teams can keep it close. :wacko:

White House has good overall size and length. They can play that zone defense extremely well. They are well coached and very athletic.

Even though Sycamore is guard heavy, they do have an all district & all tournament post player. Back-up post play is also solid.

That being said, there's just no way a 9AA team can beat any of the 10AA teams. I'm surprised they haven't just canceled the first round games. Maybe they should just institute the Mercy Rule from the opening tip so that all the 9AA teams can keep it close. :wacko:

Sycamore is ranked #6 in the state in AA and has several good non conference wins and has played a tough non conference schedule. A 23-6 record speaks for itself.

White House beat Sycamore twice and beat a good Gallatin team so I wouldn't overlook them.

White House beat Sycamore twice and beat a good Gallatin team so I wouldn't overlook them.

How many times did Sycamore and White House play this year? I recall they split the regular season, with Sycamore getting a second win in the district finals. Did they play in an early tourny somewhere?

How many times did Sycamore and White House play this year? I recall they split the regular season, with Sycamore getting a second win in the district finals. Did they play in an early tourny somewhere?

I must have read the schedule results incorrectly. Looks like Sycamore won twice and White House won once. Sorry. My bad.

I must have read the schedule results incorrectly. Looks like Sycamore won twice and White House won once. Sorry. My bad.

I would not have doubted you, I just didn't remember any other games they may have played in pre-season or holiday tournaments. Sycamore, White House, and Macon Co. could have easily wound up in a 3 way tie for first in the district. A 3-pointer made, or a few free throws here or there, could have made the difference. The games were great every time.

I would not have doubted you, I just didn't remember any other games they may have played in pre-season or holiday tournaments. Sycamore, White House, and Macon Co. could have easily wound up in a 3 way tie for first in the district. A 3-pointer made, or a few free throws here or there, could have made the difference. The games were great every time.

Not that I would know since I haven't even seen a 9 AA team play this year, but 10-AA does send a very strong group of teams to the tournament. If they really are that much stronger as some think, then it may be to an advantage for a team like Maplewood to have lost the district tourney championship since it keeps them opposite of both CPA and East Literature. That is why seedings play a role with two teams moving forward and why having the better seed going into the region tournament is not always an advantage. Though from what you read, 9 AA teams have played very well at times during the year and sounds like they have some strengths, so who really knows, it is tournament time.

Just from looking at the non conference schedule, Sycamore seems to be better than White House and Macon County although I haven't seen any of them play since team camp in June so I will take your word for it. Did someone say that Sycamore is new to this district this year? After thinking about it, I would think they would be natural rivals with CreekWood and teams in that district.

Just from looking at the non conference schedule, Sycamore seems to be better than White House and Macon County although I haven't seen any of them play since team camp in June so I will take your word for it. Did someone say that Sycamore is new to this district this year? After thinking about it, I would think they would be natural rivals with CreekWood and teams in that district.

No, Sycamore joined 9AA last year when they reclassified all the schools/districts. They were in the district with Creekwood, Harpeth, etc before though.

Obviously, Sycamore is the better team since they were 9AA regular season and tournament champs. Macon and WH are solid teams but I am just not sure how they will handle the athleticism of the 10AA teams. Sycamore's non-district schedule was tough and full of athletic teams. i.e. West Creek, LaVergne, Wilson Central, Blackman, Kenwood, Beech, Cookeville, etc. All good AAA teams who are still playing, except Kenwood. If Sycamore loses this game it wont be because they werent prepared and played a cupcake schedule. It will be because they dont execute or play sound defensively.

Macon is a tough place to play. They shoot the lights out at home and you cant get a call up there. If they arent in awe of the Panther's athleticism, they could pull an upset.

White House/East Lit is an interesting matchup too. The WH 1-3-1 zone gives athletic teams problems especially if they cant shoot. i.e. Gallatin, Franklin-Simpson(KY). You cant drive against it because #4 flops if a stiff breeze comes through the lane. IF White House can rebound, they could shock the world. Big IF.

Westmoreland has no chance. Lets be honest.

Edited by PrestigeWorldwide

This region is brutal- only two teams are going to make it to state from a region where the basketball is very good. Looking at some of teh other regions; what the heck? Some of them are soo weak! Alas, this is happens every year, someone who should be in the tournament is not.

That said, I am picking the Macon Co upset right now! Think the tigers are gonna get it done on Saturday. Everyone else in 9AA takes it on the chin, thank you for playing but it is now time to go home.

My first ever post. I've watched a significant number of 10AA games this year, but have not seen the 9AA teams. 10AA appears to be a very strong district. Many great athletes. I would expect 3 or the 4 teams from 10AA to win on Saturday night. I still thing the Region title will come down to CPA and Maplewood. After the beating CPA delivered in the District final, I would expect Maplewood to play with much more intensity and effort with the game being decided in the fourth quarter.

This region is brutal- only two teams are going to make it to state from a region where the basketball is very good. Looking at some of teh other regions; what the heck? Some of them are soo weak! Alas, this is happens every year, someone who should be in the tournament is not.

That said, I am picking the Macon Co upset right now! Think the tigers are gonna get it done on Saturday. Everyone else in 9AA takes it on the chin, thank you for playing but it is now time to go home.

For whatever polls and rankings are worth (may not be much), I think the AP had CPA, East Lit and Maplewood in the top 5 or 6 in the state. Coach T's strength ranking has Sycamore at number 6. So you could argue that Region 5AA has 4 of the top eight teams in the state in AA making for a very tough Region. Is there another Region in AA that has as many top teams in it?