Question for private schools

phishhead

I was told that private schools can 'make' their students take a extra-curricular sport or phys-ed every term/ semester, and that is why a team like BA can feild 75 kids when they don't have a lot of kids in the school.

If this is true, couldn't that be an interpreted as an advantage?

Public schools can't make kids participate in sports, but privates can. Is that it?

There is all kinds of talent walking around in some of these schools, even some of the small ones. But we can't make them participate.

I may have been misinformed, and every school may not do this, but I see that as an advantage. Even if a privat e school isn't loaded w/ talent, if you can throw more people at you, you have a better chance.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by phishhead:

I was told that private schools can 'make' their students take a extra-curricular sport or phys-ed every term/ semester, and that is why a team like BA can feild 75 kids when they don't have a lot of kids in the school.

Public schools can't make kids participate in sports, but privates can. Is that it?

There is all kinds of talent walking around in some of these schools, even some of the small ones. But we can't make them participate.

I may have been misinformed, and every school may not do this, but I see that as an advantage. Even if a privat e school isn't loaded w/ talent, if you can throw more people at you, you have a better chance.

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't say you're misinformed, but i think you need some clarification. I can only speak for mba, but i'll tell you what i know. mba requires each student to take part in an extra-curricular activity in 2 out of three periods, which coincide with athletic seasons for practical reasons. the boys don't have to play a sport. they can choose from a sport in season, intramurals, managing a team, debate team, theatre, or conditioning. 99% of the kids playing sports play because they want to, and the same kids comprise most of the major sports teams (football, basketball, track, and baseball). the rest of the boys just do intramurals or something else. i don't think it provides any kind of advantage for mba. in fact, i would think it might be negative if you had boys playing a sport who didn't really care about it and just did it because they had to. it can also be negative if a kid wants to train for one sport, but has to take time out for one season to do another activity.

Can't speak for all Privates but at CPA, you do need at least 4 semesters of some Phys Ed activity to graduate. It can also be loosely applied, a dance class for instance can be applied to either athletics or a fine arts credit depending upon where the student needs to build up more credits. Typically most students will participate in at least one competitive sport during their high school for at least one semester. It is certainly not mandated for students to be involved in athletic activities every semester.

Posted by phishhead:

Any thoughts?

This rule of "participation" in extra-curricular activities is not an advantage. I would agree more with the poster who stated that it tends to force students participate in a sport who otherwise might not be playing a sport. Some private school sports participation can be less intense because of this rule.

The privates who do have this rule demonstrate a commitment to extra-curricular activities as a vital part of education. Too many public school administrators, especially in Nashville, don't place a high value on after-school sports activities.

Guest cole703

Stan,

Don't lay all of the blame on the Metro Public School people that are in charge. What are the students parents doing to aid this situation? It is a fact that most high school students get into trouble from 3:00pm (when school let's out) until 6:00pm when a parent get's home. With this being true I will force my kids to be involved in some type of after school activities.

Posted by phishhead:

Any thoughts?

BA students are required to participate in physical education every day...they are encouraged to participate in interscholastic athletics. Many parents choose the school at least in part due to this as many public schools, including Williamson County, do not have daily PE.

Good point...and it is tragic how non-existent booster groups are for most of the metro sports. Parents are responsible, and if more parents got involved, administrators would have to react to their pressure. Metro administrators have different problems than the non-metro school administrators -- in general.

Posted by cole703:

Stan,

Don't lay all of the blame on the Metro Public School people that are in charge. What are the students parents doing to aid this situation? It is a fact that most high school students get into trouble from 3:00pm (when school let's out) until 6:00pm when a parent get's home. With this being true I will force my kids to be involved in some type of after school activities.

As posted by WesVols:Well, at Brentwood Academy each student is required to participate in a sport/physical ed program each quarter. The only boys' sports available are Cross Country and Football, along with an unsupervised YMCA program and off-season conditioning. So for those who want to play a sport but don't feel like running 7 miles per day, Football is the only option. 50-60% of the BA football team will never play a down. They play football because it is the only sport offered in which they are interested. We have many players under 160 pounds on the team who know they will not play other than JV but they play because they like the game. This is why BA dresses so many players...it's not recruiting, or because a large percentage of males at the school are REALLY good at football. Instead, it's just because of the limited options.

Posted by RyanRowdy:

Well at my old school, we were not forced to participate in anything.

I am sorry. I have to take my shot. I went to Memphis State with a bunch of Father Ryan guys. I even roomed with a Ryan guy for a semester.

Here goes. . . I would not play football for Ryan unless forced to do so either. :o:o:D:D:D

I hope you realize that I am kidding. :):):):)