Oakland football in rebuilding mode?

nrgrizzlies

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any Arlington fans out there that can tell us a little more about the team? (besides the spread O) How many returning starters, defense..etc....

Not an Arlington fan, but here goes. The quarterback, Drew Reed, passed for over 2000 yards last year. The team averaged over 40 points per game. The finished last year at 8-3 (the year before 10-1). They have a good kicker/punter, Kyle Mitchell, who is supposed to be one of the tops in the state (hope to see him punt a lot, not so much doing anything else but one kickoff during the game). Drew Thomas is a very good tight end. Kramer Hollenback ran for just short of 1000 yards last year. They will be a wide-open team trying to get the ball all over the field. Two defensive tackles return, Brian Bell and Tony Cox. Jazz Mason is a pretty good linebacker getting some looks at the college level. Tavian Lott is a pretty good defensive back. The defense is not their strong point. Their strategy is pretty easy to ascertain -- we can score more points than you can. Their history in the playoff is like an accordion -- they fold under pressure, losing in the first round when they play a good team. Their schedule, however, reminds you a little of the Burning Embers across town, we play anyone (as long as they are terrible). Two years ago, they started 10-0 before losing in the first round of the playoffs. This year they should not start on a streak (unless losing counts as their next game is against Memphis White Station).

Arlington fans, pretty accurate????

Prediction, Oakland 28, Arlington 7.

What a game. It was not a pretty one but a W none the less. Arlingtons QB is the real deal. He has a cannon for an arm and done a good job extending the play until he could find an open receiver. Now for Oakland...the future looks very bright. I will admit I was a little worried about our secondary but for the most part I think they done a very good job. "Man" looked good on both sides of the ball but stands out more as QB. OP, if you are out there, what about Travon Willis? He can grind out those tough yards and also as he showed tonight, break one and take it to the house. I also saw him make several stops at LB. Overall a good performance. I am sure Coach Mc will address the penalties and the fumbles come Monday morning! Go Patriots

What a game. It was not a pretty one but a W none the less. Arlingtons QB is the real deal. He has a cannon for an arm and done a good job extending the play until he could find an open receiver. Now for Oakland...the future looks very bright. I will admit I was a little worried about our secondary but for the most part I think they done a very good job. "Man" looked good on both sides of the ball but stands out more as QB. OP, if you are out there, what about Travon Willis? He can grind out those tough yards and also as he showed tonight, break one and take it to the house. I also saw him make several stops at LB. Overall a good performance. I am sure Coach Mc will address the penalties and the fumbles come Monday morning! Go Patriots

I thought it was a good, solid win. Arlington is a playoff team no doubt, stingy on defense and has that big play ability on offense. QB is the real deal. I felt like we played pretty well given one less week of practice, yeah the 3rd quarter was a little sloppy and frustrating, but when it came down to crunch time, our offense AND defense stepped up.

Travon's first td run was huge, as Arlington was rolling early. I thought Jahaad did a exceptional job of playing within himself, overthrew his man on a few throws and his box score wont look that great, but I thought he played well. Andre really dropped the hammer on Arlington in the 4th quarter and Denzel had some nice runs minus the fumble.

Defensively, yeah we gave up over 300 yards, but they really stepped up when they needed to answer that bell, but we gave up 8.5 yards per carry tonight, were very lucky Arlington stuck with the run, but that is the nature of the beast when you run that kind of offense. Peter Newman had an AMAZING interception tonight, didnt play hardly at all in the pre-season, but gave us a lift tonight, he's never going to be a superstar, but he's a good player and a character guy that you want to build your team around, I wish we had a whole team full of kids like Newman. Emmanuel also did his thing, would have been nice for him to get that INT, but it happens.

Special teams is probably the most glaring out of all of them, which isnt out of the norm for this time of year, but had a XP and a punt blocked, need to make corrections before we face a very athletic Hunters Lane team

All in all, a good win going forward and this win sets us up to potentially have a nice winning streak going into the Gallatin and Blackman games

Edited by OaklandPatriots

Greatwin for the Patriots. Any time you can overcome some adversity in the game and come out with a W, you should be proud. How many penalties did we get in the game? That was an area that concerned me last yr. Seems like we shot ourselves in the foot every time it was crunchtime. I hope that has been addressed this year.

Congrats to the players and coaches on being 1-0.