Maryville @ Farragut

tnfutbolfan

When Farragut walks the walk and talks the talk, they are bashed for it. They are called arrogant rich snobs that are classless... I love double standards. They are so much fun. Just lets you know that when people only hate when you do it, you've done something right.

Looks like we can shut this thread down, you've just validated everything the board was commenting on....priceless

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Groucho Marx said in Room Service, " now that I've had my dinner, I look at things a little differently". Congrats to Maryville and it sounds like you walked the walk so talk the talk. A little bit of Passion for all those years is great to let out. Lincoln19, now you know how all the other teams felt year after year. Learn how to win and learn how to lose.

I would just like to make clear that I am not, nor have ever been, a part of Farragut soccer. In fact, I've always known "how all the other teams feel year after year".

I was not at the game. More than anything I was hoping someone on here could clarify what exactly took place post-game the other night. If Maryville players/parents/fans really did have a little ceremony on the field, I personally think that is ridiculous, classless, bad sportsmanship, etc.

If there isn't anyone who knows anything about this, then nevermind it, and we can move on. I just hope Maryville will take pride in being a classy program moving forward. I know they are young men and play with great passion and they deserve to celebrate a good victory, but not in the manner in which it was described to me. Among other things young athletes need to learn, showing good sportsmanship should be atop the list.

Looks like we can shut this thread down, you've just validated everything the board was commenting on....priceless

How so? By pointing out how ridiculous you people are? I'm not freaking out because Farragut lost to Maryville. All I did was point out, how people think it's ok to do things, unless Farragut does it. Your comment on Maryville should be able to talk the talk since they walked the walk, proved it. You never see anyone say it's ok for Farragut rub a win in the other teams face. Or brag all about it and act like they want to riot. Why? Because everyone thinks Farragut is a bunch of spoiled rich classless snobs. Like I said, the fact that everyone hates when Farragut does something, means they've done something right. It's ok to be jealous. Most people are jealous of something at some point. I see the same thing here in Boise, well more of see it when I go other places. People HATE Boise State. Not because of what BSU stands for, but because their football team can't be BSU's. They don't win like we do. They don't play like we do. Their only option is to hate us, and rub a loss in our face because they finally have 1 thing to hold over us. This is a similar situation with FHS/MHS. MHS finally beat Farragut, and now everyone thinks its ok for them to be immature about it. Same thing with the Boise/Nevada game. Nevada won, and all you saw was everyone rubbing it in Boise's face... but Boise beat Oklahoma and all you heard was fluke, and how we didn't deserve it, and this and that. People still finding a reason to bash us. It's all jealousy.

so can you explain a bit canes? don't let em shut it down just so you don't have to explain yourself. Besides, all this thread has been about is Maryville beating Farragut. How did I validate that? That was already a fact.

Edited by ihavenofriendzz

How so? By pointing out how ridiculous you people are? I'm not freaking out because Farragut lost to Maryville. All I did was point out, how people think it's ok to do things, unless Farragut does it. Your comment on Maryville should be able to talk the talk since they walked the walk, proved it. You never see anyone say it's ok for Farragut rub a win in the other teams face. Or brag all about it and act like they want to riot. Why? Because everyone thinks Farragut is a bunch of spoiled rich classless snobs. Like I said, the fact that everyone hates when Farragut does something, means they've done something right. It's ok to be jealous. Most people are jealous of something at some point. I see the same thing here in Boise, well more of see it when I go other places. People HATE Boise State. Not because of what BSU stands for, but because their football team can't be BSU's. They don't win like we do. They don't play like we do. Their only option is to hate us, and rub a loss in our face because they finally have 1 thing to hold over us. This is a similar situation with FHS/MHS. MHS finally beat Farragut, and now everyone thinks its ok for them to be immature about it. Same thing with the Boise/Nevada game. Nevada won, and all you saw was everyone rubbing it in Boise's face... but Boise beat Oklahoma and all you heard was fluke, and how we didn't deserve it, and this and that. People still finding a reason to bash us. It's all jealousy.

so can you explain a bit canes? don't let em shut it down just so you don't have to explain yourself. Besides, all this thread has been about is Maryville beating Farragut. How did I validate that? That was already a fact.

Your not far from the mark. Several weeks ago, a large number of people were hoping Butler pulled off the unthinkable. To defeat an established program. Did everyone hate UCONN (perhaps, but that's not important right now)...no, they wanted to see the team that had the odds against them succeed and join in the celebration. In a weird and round about way, we see ourself in each of those teams and it gives us hope and the drive in our own lives.

The same happened at the previous year's superbowl when 'aint's became the Superbowl Champions in a great battle. They faced an extreme amount of adversity but overcame it all to lead their team, and more importantly, their fans and a weathered city to believe what could be done, despite the odds.

So. No one hates Farragut. It's good to see another program or two surface and get into the mix. Will they celebrate when they win? yes. Likely the only criticism they will receive is from the team they defeated. Give them their day. You and other teams had yours. It is good to see parity in this sport as that is frankly what makes it great to watch over most other sports. At the end of the day, despite the resources, top shelf uniforms and practice facilities, it is the best team that will succeed and the sad reality is that money can't always buy the best team.

Have a great season, and for the record, I'm okay with Boise.

Edited by Canesoverhere

The problem, Canes, is that we weren't there. We can only go with what we heard, as well as read on the boards.

There is a difference between celebrating and being poor winners. I am one to believe that a team should show class in all situations. It doesn't always happen. It also is hard for a coach to control the fans (and sometimes their own parents). To be clear, I am not saying that Maryville behaved like this. Just pointing out the difference.

Maryville beat a name, more-so than a team. Now, before you go accuse me of taking something away from Maryville, please read what I mean by that. The fact that it was Farragut that they beat, regardless of it being a rebuilding year for them, would send most fans into a frenzy. Does it excuse any poor behavior? No, but it could explain it. I can remember my first victory over Farragut, and it was incredible. I can also remember getting trounced by Farragut, as well. Teams ebb and flow. This is why it is so important to show class in both winning and losing. Because your time will come when you aren't always on top.

In defense of Maryville, I know coach Feathers, and he is a classy guy. I would be shocked if he allowed his team any kind of over the top celebration. This is Maryville's time to shine, and I hope they do so with class and dignity that I know that they have.

In defense of Coach Culbreth, he is in a tough spot, too. Coming from a National ranking to a rebuilding year is a REALLY hard position to be in. It is very humbling. I know him quite well, and while he might portray a gruff exterior, he truly does care greatly for his teams and tries to do the right thing. As all of us, especially including me, he sometimes slips up. To his defense, he doesn't get on these boards to defend himself, even when he gets hammered.

So, I say congratulations to Maryville, who could be on a nice road to a fantastic finish this season. I also say heads up to Farragut, who have MUCH to be proud of in this season alone. Don't think that the success of a season is wrapped up in a win and loss record. In 10 years, you won't even remember what those records are. But you will remember lessons learned in these years, both good and bad.

Edited by BigG

I think I know what is going on with the Maryville celebrations. They did one on our field after their win. We did not pay much attention to it, even though it was done on our "A" at midfield. The fans ran out of the stands and grabbed Austin Pugh (this was his last game before shoulder surgery, he is a senior) and then "knighted" him at midfield. I saw this and did not think much of it. My understanding, after speaking with a couple of the Maryville players is that after the Farragut win, the fans took David Leftco (spelled wrong) to midfield and "knighted" him for his hat trick. This is fan driven, not team driven. The players I spoke with were a bit embarrassed and were not sure how to handle this type thing. Maryville had never beaten Farragut in the history of the Maryville program (at least that is what Coach Feather told his team and I have no reason to doubt him) and this being about high school kids, they were probably to excited and just went along with the fans, who were also high school kids, without thinking. I am not defending Maryville, nor am I bashing them. The fans, the players and the parents have something to be excited about soccer wise for the 1st time in the history of the Maryville program. I remember when that was us a few years ago. It is a very heady feeling and when it is your 1st experience with real success, it can be overwhelming.

Since the Farragut game, the following has happened:

1.) Coach Feather talked to both Coach Culbreth's and personally apologized

2.) Coach Feather wrote a written apology to Coach Culbreth and his team

3.) He sat down with Coach Quarles and spent a long time talking about crowd control, and coach Quarles suspended the fans who made remarks about Coach Culbreth's family.

4.) All fans were told never to have a post-game ceremony/knighting on any field--home or away.

5.) No ceremony was conducted after the West game, and Coach Quarles and Maryville's School Resource officer spent the entire game in the student section.

Please know that the incident at Farragut was pushed by the fans. The Maryville team and coaches did not want this but still have done EVERYTHING to make sure this NEVER happens again. We have nothing but respect for Farragut.

Ned

Edited by NedNatterjack

Canes,

I'm all for parity in sports. I'm glad someone else in the district is stepping up. It gets boring, even being a Farragut fan, only hearing about Bearden and Farragut.. or only having to worry about Bearden etc.. I've always wanted the district/region to get better. Over the last few years teams have stepped up. West beat Farragut in Regions a few years ago. Did it stink that Farragut lost sure? But I was glad that it was to someone that hasn't really done it before. It's nice to see weaker teams step up and perform. I mean, heck, in Boise, football season is even boring. The WAC is turrable. Luckily we are changing, but the only worthy teams are leaving.

With the Butler thing... People view basketball entirely different than football. Basketball has a tournament, so most people, in my opinion, when they see a midmajor doing well in the tournament, it's because they are good, and earned where they are. Where as football, is all subjective, and based on polls and voting and opinions. It's a 13 game season, with no tournament at the end. You still have to earn it, but the opinions on earning it in football, are different than in basketball. Basketball you can do well in the regular season, then get on a run at the end and be in the final four. Sure it takes talent, skill, and the players capable of doing it, but it's just totally different than football. Lose 1 game and you're done, unless you are LSU or just in the SEC in general, or Ohio State. Boise loses 1 game, in overtime, and we're in the Las Vegas bowl, when 2 weeks earlier there was BCS talk. People don't think we are worthy, but at the same time, won't really let us prove anything.. Basketball, you are guaranteed a chance to "prove" it. Football, not so much.

I, personally, have just always grown up with everyone dogging Farragut. Warranted or not, it gets old. Sure they give us "props" for winning, but trash us at the same time. I'm not saying everyone does it, but if you've read the boards long enough, you should know it's true. They bash us for being "classless" when celebrating a win.. or as you say "talking the talk"... But I have seen it encouraged, several times, on here, and in person, when someone beats Farragut. Generally, by the same people that get mad when/if Farragut does it. Obviously, as a Farragut person I might just pay more attention to it than others... just because of my Farragut glasses. Same with Boise. If i read/hear someone giving us a compliment, Farragut or Boise, all I can see is the bad in what they are saying. I'm sure that's mostly my fault, but I am also aware that it's there, where as others see nothing wrong with it. It's all just opinion sure.

Also, with what others on here have said, without being there. I just can't see the players doing it, for any sport really, not just at Maryville, but in general. I haven't seen too many unsporting athletes at the high school level since I've been around them. Some have their moments, but as whole they are generally well behaved.

Congrats to Maryville and maybe there will be a rematch in the tournament.

Edited by ihavenofriendzz

3.) He sat down with Coach Quarles and spent a long time talking about crowd control, and coach Quarles suspended the fans who made remarks about Coach Culbreth's family.

4.) All fans were told never to have a post-game ceremony/knighting on any field--home or away.

5.) No ceremony was conducted after the West game, and Coach Quarles and Maryville's School Resource officer spent the entire game in the student section.

Please know that the incident at Farragut was pushed by the fans. The Maryville team and coaches did not want this but still have done EVERYTHING to make sure this NEVER happens again. We have nothing but respect for Farragut.

Ned

They don't win like we do. They don't play like we do. Their only option is to hate us, and rub a loss in our face because they finally have 1 thing to hold over us. so can you explain a bit canes? don't let em shut it down just so you don't have to explain yourself. Besides, all this thread has been about is Maryville beating Farragut. How did I validate that? That was already a fact.

Wow!!! This says a lot!! Can you see why people think of Farragut teams as a little "upetty"? I would think that it would be expected that after a team has finally "gotten over the hump" you would expect a celebration. Now, I get the part about being classy and showing some class, but it seems like the Farragut fans and players would just sit back and say...O.K. have your moment- we will be back. Look, the season is early and if anyone thinks Farragut will not get a lot better by the end of the season, then they are wrong! Farragut has been a top tier team since soccer began and this is a small dip in the road! When you have a coach that has won as much and been on top for so long, the only place to go is.....well, a little below your average!! Don't panic ihavenofriends!!!! What I really want to watch for is the reaction later in the season when the two teams meet again!! What will happen if Farragut wins? What might their celebration be?? We will see a lot of the same thing I bet!! Time will tell!! 8-)

Ned

I was watching the Maryville crowd last night, and I thought they kept it clean. They are a passionate bunch, though. You have to give them that.

For the record, that Maryville/West match was a lot of fun to watch. Maryville scored the winning goal with less than a minute to go. Pretty exciting.

It was also fun to watch that McCoy kid for West. Holy set-piece, Batman!