MBA

oblong

You have me pegged wrong. So let me give you my thoughts:

I am anti-recruiting, anti "Swetts coach's lunches" (I mean seriously - it is a bit much), anti paying kid's tuition under the table, anti Private school coaches showing up constantly at middle schools that are out near the airport trying to sway the star athlete to go to their school, anti teams with their starting lineup filled with players who live 40,50, and 60 miles away from their campus, anti spineless headmasters who have filled the board of trustees with "yes men", anti schools sending vans and buses to Murfreesboro and North Nashville to pick up star athletes each day before school (a privilege that is only offered to the star athletes), anti special tudors who work with star players 4 and 5 days a week just to get them to pass, anti coaches who make their players feel inferior if they play another sport other than theirs, anti schools having a "recruiter" who is disguised as an admissions employee whose job it is to go "get players", anti "Big E camps", and anti students who are encouraged by their football coach to lead hateful cheers at athletic contests.

In other words I am anti Bowers, anti McGugin, anti Flatt (sorry Carlton - you started all of this), anti Gioia and what their two schools have become. I respect Ensworth middle school and what MBA USED to be. My wish is that the whole thing will blow up at both schools and we could get back to what high school sports should be about. MBA used to be a place that did not have to follow anyone in the country - they set the bar and others followed. The problem is that they got caught up in the arms race by chasing Ensworth's actions out on Highway 100 and it is way too far down the road to change the culture without blowing it up. So, blow it up. Mr Childress. Blow it up.

There has never been a more accurate post! Very well said Sir!!

I am anti-recruiting, anti "Swetts coach's lunches" (I mean seriously - it is a bit much), anti paying kid's tuition under the table, anti Private school coaches showing up constantly at middle schools that are out near the airport trying to sway the star athlete to go to their school, anti teams with their starting lineup filled with players who live 40,50, and 60 miles away from their campus, anti spineless headmasters who have filled the board of trustees with "yes men", anti schools sending vans and buses to Murfreesboro and North Nashville to pick up star athletes each day before school (a privilege that is only offered to the star athletes), anti special tudors who work with star players 4 and 5 days a week just to get them to pass, anti coaches who make their players feel inferior if they play another sport other than theirs, anti schools having a "recruiter" who is disguised as an admissions employee whose job it is to go "get players", anti "Big E camps", and anti students who are encouraged by their football coach to lead hateful cheers at athletic contests.

In other words I am anti Bowers, anti McGugin, anti Flatt (sorry Carlton - you started all of this), anti Gioia and what their two schools have become. I respect Ensworth middle school and what MBA USED to be. My wish is that the whole thing will blow up at both schools and we could get back to what high school sports should be about. MBA used to be a place that did not have to follow anyone in the country - they set the bar and others followed. The problem is that they got caught up in the arms race by chasing Ensworth's actions out on Highway 100 and it is way too far down the road to change the culture without blowing it up. So, blow it up. Mr Childress. Blow it up.

This is the greatest post ever!!!!!!! You should have added anti reduce the money offered as the boys get older because they can't transfer away and be eligible to play at the public school that they are zoned to play! Blow it up!

If Childress does nothing then the T$$AA has ZERO backbone and ZERO gonads!

Wow. I've gotta say I agree with a lot of that.

Pretty unbelievable that Mr. Simmons felt the need to join CoachT to publicly defend Daniel on a high school message board. Perhaps he should stick to writing recruiting stories on Rivals. Too bad too. He is one of the all time great MBA players.

By the way, Brad Gioia has been at MBA for 17 years. That's a long time, guys.

Edited by TheBigRedDog

This needs to be read aloud at one of these 2 a day board meetings taking place.

Could it be that MBA should make wholesale changes and replace the headmaster, football coach and athletic director to get things back to where MBA was for many years? When MBA decided to join this arms race the decision had to at the very least be approved if not encouraged by people much higer up the chain of command than the head football coach. It's amazing what evils can take place when people have status in the community, money and power.

Let's hope that after a close personal examination MBA becomes a better institution.

Could it be that MBA should make wholesale changes and replace the headmaster, football coach and athletic director to get things back to where MBA was for many years? When MBA decided to join this arms race the decision had to at the very least be approved if not encouraged by people much higer up the chain of command than the head football coach. It's amazing what evils can take place when people have status in the community, money and power.

Let's hope that after a close personal examination MBA becomes a better institution.

I guess the question the "deciders" have to answer is, do we want MBA football to be the program inspired by Tommy Owen, or the one inspired by Ricky Bowers? Because the two are very different, and it's pretty obvious which way we're leaning now.

• Upvote 2

I've always had a high regard for your posts and this one confirms my view.

I have no idea exactly what has happened at MBA and whether any of it violates the TSSAA's rules; I lack the facts at one end and a deep understanding of the rules on the other. But it doesn't require either to see that something here is not as it should be. "Truthhurts" does a pretty good job of describing the current state of high school sports, and it's not a very pretty picture.

I have followed MBA football since 1968, remember seeing them for the first time in 1970, and cherish my years on the Hill, even if my football career wasn't exactly what I had dreamed of. I wear my class ring at 50, and the MBA emblem is tattooed on my calf. And while I want MBA to win in every competition they enter, there is a limit to what is acceptable in that pursuit. The motto, "Gentleman, Scholar, Athlete" is stated in that order for a reason. If a less successful football program is the result of honoring both the letter and the spirit of the rules, that's unfortunate, but I'll still watch the streaming video every Friday, unless I'm able to be at the game in person.

To answer cbg's initial question, there may be a need to take an honest look at what the culture has become, and make the necessary changes.

The attempts in this thread to bash Ensworth and Ricky Bowers are pathetic. If nothing else, they serve as clear evidence for the proposition that MBA is failing in its mission to graduate "gentlemen". Do true gentlemen attempt to drag others down as they flail to rationalize their own behavior? Do true gentlemen spread half-truths and innuendo while portraying such as fact? Should true gentlemen understand that self-relection and improvement, if necessary, is not aided by pointing fingers at others? This behavior is more common among 8 year-olds than among true gentlemen. It is pretty clear from reading this thread that most of this animosity is driven by good old-fashioned envy.

Y'all may be right - it appears that MBA is not what it once was; the proof is plain to see on this thread. I am very sorry for that.

Edited by RedRobin

The attempts in this thread to bash Ensworth and Ricky Bowers are pathetic. If nothing else, they serve as clear evidence for the proposition that MBA is failing in its mission to graduate "gentlemen". Do true gentlemen attempt to drag others down as they flail to rationalize their own behavior? Do true gentlemen spread half-truths and innuendo while portraying such as fact? Should true gentlemen understand that self-relection and improvement, if necessary, is not aided by pointing fingers at others? This behavior is more common among 8 year-olds than among true gentlemen. It is pretty clear from reading this thread that most of this animosity is driven by good old-fashioned envy.

Y'all may be right - it appears that MBA is not what it once was; the proof is plain to see on this thread. I am very sorry for that.

Despite the hysterical language, you are right. this has nothing to do with Ensworth, and continuing to bring them into this is disingenuous. This isn't about "arms races" or anything like that.

the issue is...do we want to be a school where twice in a decade people with money use their influence to bully a headmaster into doing their bidding? Is that really what we're all about? IF so, and Coach M is fired, just quit the charade and let the big-time donors just make the decision themselves. And whoever the next guy is can get his marching orders directly from them...They can tell the coach exactly who to start, who the back-ups are, what plays to run, when to practice, etc. At least then, we'll be spared this embarassment every 5 years.

I, along with several other members of the MBA community, went to visit with Brad Gioia in his office to express our support for Coach McGugin. The line was out the door with supporters. The 3 things he explicitly told us:

1) There is no issue with the TSSA

2) Daniel McGugin has done nothing unethical related to any of these issues

3) There is overwhelming support for Daniel from the players, coaches, faculty, alums, community

4) Brad Gioia had no problem telling us the names of those opposed to Daniel. And he is having to deal with the following people, who may not have all the facts, but do not like Coach Mcgugin. These people are:

Bill Wilson (who is this guy?)

Bill Hawkins

Tom Curtis

Chris Simonis

Where did you go to meet Mr. G? I do not believe it was at MBA as from what I am hearing there was no such line. I have heard the lines have been buring up between a certain law firm and others in support of Coach M. As for overwhelming support, I have heard the opposite and have even heard that many will leave if Coach M. is not back next year. I wonder who these men will be? I am hearing that it is the buzz on the Hill. I may even have to take a trip up this weekend and walk in front of Wilson Library, for those of you who are trying to drop names (if you really did not know who Mr. Wilson is, than your post can not be taken as serious) and see just what is going on for myself. However, writing this post, I see that the Tennessean has posted an article about what we were all expecting from this blunder.

Question, there is only 1 occurence which is being debated. From my sources, there are a few more in the closet that have not been disclosed. If this is true, I wonder how many skeletons are in the closet. To me, this should be the first of a few replacements. I am sure Coach B. would have taken a tougher stance, he wore his love for the school on his sleeve, so did Mr. Drake.

As for the Tennessean article this morning, Coach M. says he did nothing wrong and Mr. G. stated the following: "Daniel made a mistake in leadership regarding financial aid. He is a good individual who deserves our care and respect and a thorough investigation." Mr. G. threw Coach M. under the bus to save his own skin. I believe the Board now needs to look at Mr. G. and see what he knew because this is just 1 occurence. There possibly could be more. Where there is smoke there is fire. Certainly, we don't believe this is the only occurence?

Stay tuned, I believe there is more to come. But please, no more dropping names. It makes you look shallow, especially those who don't even know when a Board member's name is on a building.

Gentlemen Scholar Professional Athlete

Edited by hoosierdad

CoachT posters, I have read through this thread and could no longer contain my views on the subject. My name is James Kay. I am a junior at MBA, and have played linebacker for the Big Red since my sophomore year. I rarely visit this website, never have posted or intended to, but I feel the need to inform you on my views on Coach McGugin and the MBA program. Mainly so you all can get a view from a player's perspective.

Coach McGugin has been one of the most influential men to me on campus through out my time on the hill. He is a man of loyalty, integrity, and a brilliant football coach. As a coach, he has pushed me to limits beyond what I imagined my capabilities to be. He is intense on the field, and pushes his players to the limits. He is passionate about the game of football, and has a great love for MBA and the community surrounding it. Off the field he is an even better person and mentor. He has encouraged me to become a better student and has helped me become the man I am today. At MBA, we are generally less talented than the team lining up across from us, but somehow find a way to win. Coach McGugin is one of the main reasons why. I am a good example of what Coach McGugin and our coaching staff have done. I am a 5'10, slow, and an average athlete. If you throw me in a basketball gym I can barely get mid-net, but because I listened to Coach McGugin, along with our coaching staff, I became one of 8 underclassmen to be elected all mid state. He makes us work hard, and coaches us hard. Sadly, a few players whom I will not name, can not distinguish between being coached and a coach being mean. I am furious about the situation that has unfolded, and I can assure you that 98% of the players are too.. As you all have probably assumed, this has been a hot topic at MBA this week, and there has been overwhelming support for our Coach from the entire team.

I have heard negative remarks on Coach McGugin, and none hold any ground. Some of these have come from parents complaining, and I believe it is because of lack of playing time from his/her son. I realize I am not a father yet, but when I am I can only hope I am not blinded by a false reality. He has always played the best players on the field, and some people can not accept this. TruthHurts posted,

"anti teams with their starting lineup filled with players who live 40,50, and 60 miles away from their campus, anti spineless headmasters who have filled the board of trustees with "yes men", anti schools sending vans and buses to Murfreesboro and North Nashville to pick up star athletes each day before school (a privilege that is only offered to the star athletes), anti special tudors who work with star players 4 and 5 days a week just to get them to pass, anti coaches who make their players feel inferior if they play another sport other than theirs"

Coach McGugin has always encouraged us to play other sports. I play three, and he was a main person who pushed me to join the wrestling team my sophomore year. Our starting lineup is consisting primarily of players who attended schools that mainly feed into MBA (Oak Hill, Harding Academy, St. Paul, Overbrook, etc.) If you do not believe me, look at the best players in our most recent graduating class (2010). Football: Fitz Lassing (Oak Hill), Basketball; Holden Mobley (Ensworth), swimming; Pat Killian (Overbrook), baseball; Jackson Roberts (Overbrook), teniss; Roger Briggs (Ensworth). Most of our team lives within 15 minutes of MBA. If a player is in academic trouble, there are no tutors that any student couldn't receive. There are no special privileges I have ever received since being on the football team. If I fail a class, get into trouble, or make bad judgement I along with every other football player has to mend it. This should be no news to anyone. This is expected because MBA is an institution where boys are to be molded into gentlemen and scholars first.

As far as our headmaster goes, I have nothing but tremendous respect for him. He has been placed in an incredibly difficult situation, and has handled it with class. I do not think many of you realize how truly complicated this situation was. I will not comment on any allegation regarding the program because anything I say would leave out critical detail that is private as of now.

MBA alums have been posting the names of board members who allegedly have opposed McGugin, and I ask you to please take their names down. I know three of the men and their families that have been named, and they are examples of extraordinary gentlemen that one day I aspire to be. Any problem that they have should remain PRIVATE and should not be talked about on this board.

In conclusion, I ask you all to leave this topic alone. Coach McGugin will go on to bigger and better things because of the coach and man that he is. I hope to remain friends with him for a long time because he is truly a man to be admired.

-James Kay

Class of 2012

Roll Red

Edited by JamesKay
  • Upvote 3