MBA Head Coaching Search

howdoitknow

I would say yes; however, when Coach R was shown the door, Coach M. was already hired.

The better question should be, will the Board allow Mr. G. to make the choice in advance without due process??? This hire worked out so well......

Edited by hoosierdad

Now that we have an offical coaching search, throwing out names...

1. George Quarels, Maryville. Might as well ask, as he listened to BA in '07.

2. Matt Williams, Smyrna...built them into a powerhouse in Rutherford County.

3. David Pack, FRA...he's not going to take the call, but would be ideal right now.

4. Jeff Brothers, Nashville Christian...former BA, Vandy star. Done well at NCS. former JP2 coach.

Why do you not think that Wade would be a contender for the job? He has won everywhere he has been, is fairly young, and has an extensive knowledge of what goes on over at Ensworth. That aloe should make him a hot commodity.

I don't believe Mr. Wade teaches and there is not a Director of Football Operations position at MBA. All coaches need a non coaching position in addition to their coaching responsibilities.

3. David Pack, FRA...he's not going to take the call, but would be ideal right now.

4. Jeff Brothers, Nashville Christian...former BA, Vandy star. Done well at NCS. former JP2 coach.

Matt Williams did not build the Smyrna program. Phillips Shadowens is the one that won the 2 state championships there. He is now at Blackman.

If they don't call David Pack, they are idiots. They should offer him everything (including headmaster in waiting). Yes, I said they should offer David Pack control of the school. This would be the best course of action that MBA could pursue. I could get in to why this is the best course of action, but I will not (it just is). Coach Pack will more than likely not even consider the phone call if Gioia (or however the crap you spell it), is still present. Get rid of Gioia, get Pack. That's my opinion, and it's not worth the dirt on your boots, but that's what it is. So, since they won't get Pack, they should call Paul Wade, but they probably won't call him cause he's not in the family so to speak. Let's be clear and admit that the DII coaching carousel is incestuous. Scared of hiring from the outside. I've heard they might go after Maryville's coach. This is all I know about him: He is a high character guy. He might be too high character for MBA. Does he want to deal with the complexities that will accompany such a job. If MBA could land him, that is a massive win for the school IF they let him do his thing. We'll see. You just don't see lots of outside coaches getting a chance at DII, especially at the HC level, because it is so incestuous. You have to be a member of the family.

Really, at the end of the day, it's all sad, because the most important thing is the interest of the student-athletes. So, possibly, hiring some ol' boy from a south Alabama public school might be the best possible thing for the sake of the "student-athlete". But, how likely is MBA going to give a chance to a guy like that? That's the question. Anyway, I'm curious what will happen. It's very bad timing. Gioia needs to know that these kids need a new leader immediately. All other schools are starting spring practice. I hope MBA considers the kids first, and not the "face" of the program.

I wonder if they would consider an insider? They have many assistant coaches that are well respected by the players, though I have no idea if any are interested in the job.

1. Kevin Mawae/Chris Sanders...former Titans.

2. Travis Barclay...played college ball at Ball State, kids love him.

3. Jonas Rodriguez...D coordinator.

4. Sean Brock...probably too green, but highly thought of by the players.

I wonder if they would consider an insider? They have many assistant coaches that are well respected by the players, though I have no idea if any are interested in the job.

1. Kevin Mawae/Chris Sanders...former Titans.

2. Travis Barclay...played college ball at Ball State, kids love him.

3. Jonas Rodriguez...D coordinator.

4. Sean Brock...probably too green, but highly thought of by the players.

It's very hard to say. There's some advantage to an insider: they understand the unique issues that exist at the school. They understand the academic rigors of the school, and all the other things the players are juggling, especially the coaches who are alumni.

Having said that, in the wake of a scandal, it's often good to bring in a new broom. A new set of eyes might see problems that an insider/alumnus might be missing. From '51-'53, MBA's teams were fairly bad. Howard Allen left after the '50 season; his successor won three games in 2 years, and in the second season managed a mere 20 points. MBA's website history of the program doesn't even identify the coach. His successor was young, with no connection to MBA, and had only coached in Mississippi for a short time. But most MBA people think Tommy Owen worked out well enough.

For my part, I think the school needs to establish a search committee pronto. Let's find the best candidate, and hire him. I wouldn't make connection to the school part of the criteria at all, though it's important to describe the school to any candidates not familiar with it. Whatever sins have been committed in the past, MBA is still an attractive job. You have good facilities, a lot of support, and a great (though imperfect) school. Most importantly, it comes with MBA students. Not always the best athletes in the world, but disciplined, intelligent, hard working, and from day one brought up with an appreciation for the tradition of which they've become a part. I think any coach would be happy to work with MBA students.

The MBA opportunity is a great job for the right person. The school does have it's unique features that they would need to understand and embrace. However, the school attracts kids and fosters an environment where the boys understand they need to be disciplined and work hard. The talent and depth is always good and they have a chance to compete every year for championships. Great high school facilities and support add to the attractiveness. From the football team to the debate team, music, arts, academic challenges, etc. the desire to grow and be successful is strong throughout the school and that is contagious. If the right person can take advantage of all these features and not try to be bigger than the school or mission then they can add to the overall experience and be very successful for a long time. Coach Owen understood that and is pretty much the benchmark for these qualities.

While I think MBA would be a great job for any coach. I can't see George Quarles ever leaving Maryville unless it is a offensive assistant at UT. I don't think he would go to MBA because George likes his family being around. At every Maryville game you see his Mom,Dad,Sister,Brother n Law,Son and his wife. Wife,Son and the Sister live in Maryville. Mom and Dad live in Jefferson City. Another thing is George is very close to his assistants and would hate to leave them. Good luck to MBA in finding another coach.