Maryville spring practice

AmericanBulldog, you're offended? Why? It was explained a couple of posts earlier the orgin of this flag. What, in particular, about the battle flag is offensive?

Ok, i have no horse in this race, but this here is the bottom line. The Civil War was started over slavery, whether anybody here wants to admit to that or not..It is not politically correct, but oh so true. The rebel flag STANDS for slavery to A LOT of people, and although it is anybody's right to fly it since this is a free country, still doesn't make it right! It is offensive to Black Americans all over this country, and people KNOW that, so why would you still fly it? It is called respect for others. People that do this, you should put yourself in others shoes, and see how you would feel if YOU were in there shoes. Think about that for a second. And by the way, i am a white man. It is time to move past this, especially when most of the people in this area that are from here your forefathers more then likely didn't even fight for the south. East Tn was PRO UNION. SO, unless you have traced your ancestral history and have proof that your forefather fought for the rebels, your heritage stance doesn't really stand at all. Bottom line is respect for others, not freedom of speech. If you think the rebel flag doesnt have racial overtones to it then you are sadly blinded by the facts. Sorry, just my 2 cents worth, dont mean to offend anybody, just merely speaking the truth. This is The united States and we should be proud to fly the American Flag, not that flag, it means nothing to nobody anymore, excpet a select few who can't get over the past!

Ok, i have no horse in this race, but this here is the bottom line. The Civil War was started over slavery, whether anybody here wants to admit to that or not..It is not politically correct, but oh so true. The rebel flag STANDS for slavery to A LOT of people, and although it is anybody's right to fly it since this is a free country, still doesn't make it right! It is offensive to Black Americans all over this country, and people KNOW that, so why would you still fly it? It is called respect for others. People that do this, you should put yourself in others shoes, and see how you would feel if YOU were in there shoes. Think about that for a second. And by the way, i am a white man. It is time to move past this, especially when most of the people in this area that are from here your forefathers more then likely didn't even fight for the south. East Tn was PRO UNION. SO, unless you have traced your ancestral history and have proof that your forefather fought for the rebels, your heritage stance doesn't really stand at all. Bottom line is respect for others, not freedom of speech. If you think the rebel flag doesnt have racial overtones to it then you are sadly blinded by the facts. Sorry, just my 2 cents worth, dont mean to offend anybody, just merely speaking the truth. This is The united States and we should be proud to fly the American Flag, not that flag, it means nothing to nobody anymore, excpet a select few who can't get over the past!

I have always found it odd that if the Southern states were fighting and dying to keep slaves, then it is reasonable to say the Northern states were sending their young men into the southern states to fight and die for the purpose of saving those same slaves. As a parent it would have been a hard sell for me believe that a worthy cause.

The households, in the North, that could afford slaves had them. They were mostly owned as domestic servants. Most Southern households could not possibly afford slaves and would never fight and die just so a rich land owner could own and trade slaves.

The first 10 minutes of any History Channel Civil War documentary proves "started over slavery" to be incorrect.

You might want to do a little more research on the civil war and all the causes of it. Yea slavery had a part in but like Skookem stated The Northern States owned slaves too but just used the name "Servants". The civil war was over taxation, economic factors, state rights, and social distinction. The so called Confederate flag wasn't even the official flag of the south but a battle flag, just like different platoons today have different flags. I love how you talk about the heritage stance on things when just as men Black Americans can't trace themselfs back to slavery as white americans can to southern roots. Like i stated before if your mascot is a rebel and kids bring rebel flags to games i don't view that is racist. Big difference if you team is the cougars or indians.

I have always found it odd that if the Southern states were fighting and dying to keep slaves, then it is reasonable to say the Northern states were sending their young men into the southern states to fight and die for the purpose of saving those same slaves. As a parent it would have been a hard sell for me believe that a worthy cause.

The households, in the North, that could afford slaves had them. They were mostly owned as domestic servants. Most Southern households could not possibly afford slaves and would never fight and die just so a rich land owner could own and trade slaves.

The first 10 minutes of any History Channel Civil War documentary proves "started over slavery" to be incorrect.

You still didn't answer my question though. If you were or are in a black americans shoes and you saw that flag, what would you think? No matter what you say, and i know that isn't the original southern flag, but the rebel flag is what signifies the south, not the orginal one. And to a lot of people that flag signifies slavery and opression. Can you really blame them for believing that? The south went against the constitution of the united states, the place you live in now in case you didn't know. Why would you even want to be proud of that flag? idk, i guess i am just different.

You still didn't answer my question though. If you were or are in a black americans shoes and you saw that flag, what would you think? No matter what you say, and i know that isn't the original southern flag, but the rebel flag is what signifies the south, not the orginal one. And to a lot of people that flag signifies slavery and opression. Can you really blame them for believing that? The south went against the constitution of the united states, the place you live in now in case you didn't know. Why would you even want to be proud of that flag? idk, i guess i am just different.

It all depends on what context the "Stars and Bars" Flag is being used. At a football game where the mascot is a Rebel is not signifing slavery and opression. Also only 7% % of Southern Whites owned slaves, 2% of free Blacks in the South owned slaves. For example, in 1860, the U.S. Census Bureau reported that around 10,000 free Blacks owned some 60,000 Black slaves. It was a Black slave master, named Anthony Johnson, who sued and won his case in a Virginia court in 1653 that changed temporary servitude into lifetime servitude. Thus, this Black slave owner established permanent slavery in Virginia. Many Free Blacks fought under that same Confederate Flag. Just because a racist group like the Klan uses it doesnt mean every believes in the same way. In a recent Louis Harris poll 92% of the Southern people, of all races, are not offended by our Confederate battle flag, and that 68% of Blacks nationwide are not offended. It all about the CONTEXT behind how it is being used.

I appreciate everyone's comments on these issues since I am an avid history buff. I have been driving my family crazy watching all the History Channel shows that have been on about the Civil War lately. This is the 150th Anniversary of the War Between the States, but I'd like to get off track and talk about Maryville (NO NICKNAME NEEDED) Football.

Boys eye'm glaid we's iz talkin abowt sprang practuss....

Bye tha way SweetScience...Granted Blount County was mostly Union durin' tha Civil War...Howevur a numbur ov influential Mairvul citizens were Confederate sympathizers during tha war and coincidentially geographically they lived near the present day MHS campus...That list includes....

*Dr. Samuel Pride...1st Mayor of Maryville

*Judge Jesse G. Walker...nephew of Gov. Sam Houston

*Rev. Fielding Pope...minister of New Providence Presbyterian Church...

Edited by STARSNBARS