Maryville spring practice

You still didn't answer my question though. If you were or are in a black americans shoes and you saw that flag, what would you think? No matter what you say, and i know that isn't the original southern flag, but the rebel flag is what signifies the south, not the orginal one. And to a lot of people that flag signifies slavery and opression. Can you really blame them for believing that? The south went against the constitution of the united states, the place you live in now in case you didn't know. Why would you even want to be proud of that flag? idk, i guess i am just different.

Yes , you do believe differently than I do , with the difference being that you think I don't have a right to think differently than you do . I promise you , 30 years ago when I ran out on the field and looked up in the stands and saw those flags waving ....... not one of us , including my Black teammates , were thinking anything about slavery , or the Civil war . I'm sure you can find someone who is offended at every action I take , or everything I say today , I'm sure a lot of people would be offended that I'm enjoying myself at the beach right now , there seems to be millions of people on this earth that are offended by the very fact that I as an American , am actually on this planet breathing the same air as they are , and would absolutely Love it if that were no longer the case .

I'm sick and tired of having to apologize for things that I , and no one I know still living , had anything to do with . It amazes me how our society will go to any extreme to protect people' rights to protest at our soldiers funerals , burn our flag , build a mosque at ground zero , but scoff at anyone who wants to wave a flag that has only represented their school and football team for their entire lifetime . Maybe I could say a Prayer at the next ball game that ..... oops , wait a second , someone might be offended , maybe I should just never go out again , I'm afraid that someone might take one look at me and be offended .

STARSNBARS is correct. Here is a time line:

Maryville census: 513 residents

New incorporation completed; Dr. Samuel Pride elected first mayor of Town of Maryville

Maryville population declines as young men eagerly rush to join Federal Army or new Confederate Army. Town divided on question of secession

On December 5, large Union force under command of Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman occupies Maryville en route to relieve Gen. Ambrose Burnside at Knoxville. Gen. Sherman's headquarters were in Pride Mansion, present location of Maryville Municipal Building

Much of Maryville destroyed by fire set by Confederates attempting to dislodge Federal soldiers barricaded in courthouse. Federal soldiers surrender to cannon fire

W. B. Scott and son, founders of first newspaper published by blacks in Tennessee, move their press to Maryville and begin publication of Maryville Republican

Local blacks and Friends begin operation of school in log building at site of current AME Zion Church in effort to educate freed blacks

W. B. Scott, local newspaper publisher, becomes Maryville's first black mayor

Maryville Friends Normal and Preparatory School moves to former home of Mayor Samuel Pride, affording more space for increased enrollment

PS: GOVMAN thinks it's cool that the Mayors initials were W.B.

Here is the alternate W.B. helmet I have designed stolen especially for this occasion:

WB_alternate.gif

STARSNBARS is correct. Here is a time line:

Maryville census: 513 residents

New incorporation completed; Dr. Samuel Pride elected first mayor of Town of Maryville

Maryville population declines as young men eagerly rush to join Federal Army or new Confederate Army. Town divided on question of secession

On December 5, large Union force under command of Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman occupies Maryville en route to relieve Gen. Ambrose Burnside at Knoxville. Gen. Sherman's headquarters were in Pride Mansion, present location of Maryville Municipal Building

Much of Maryville destroyed by fire set by Confederates attempting to dislodge Federal soldiers barricaded in courthouse. Federal soldiers surrender to cannon fire

W. B. Scott and son, founders of first newspaper published by blacks in Tennessee, move their press to Maryville and begin publication of Maryville Republican

Local blacks and Friends begin operation of school in log building at site of current AME Zion Church in effort to educate freed blacks

W. B. Scott, local newspaper publisher, becomes Maryville's first black mayor

Maryville Friends Normal and Preparatory School moves to former home of Mayor Samuel Pride, affording more space for increased enrollment

PS: GOVMAN thinks it's cool that the Mayors initials were W.B.

Here is the alternate W.B. helmet I have designed stolen especially for this occasion:

WB_alternate.gif

Red Rebulls......Spellin' and rememberin' formur MHS Historee teechur, Ms. Barth, sayin' that "Rebels" wuz a historicully accurutt nicknaim fer Mairvul's atthalettick teams becaws a pockit ov Condeferate sympatizers resided clost two MHS...Wuz a cupple ov thangs eye'll nevur forgit frum my 7 yeers att MHS ..... :thumb:

Edited by STARSNBARS

Boys eye'm glaid we's iz talkin abowt sprang practuss....

Bye tha way SweetScience...Granted Blount County was mostly Union durin' tha Civil War...Howevur a numbur ov influential Mairvul citizens were Confederate sympathizers during tha war and coincidentially geographically they lived near the present day MHS campus...That list includes....

*Dr. Samuel Pride...1st Mayor of Maryville

*Judge Jesse G. Walker...nephew of Gov. Sam Houston

*Rev. Fielding Pope...minister of New Providence Presbyterian Church...

Oh yeah, i know that, but as a whole East TN, and even northern GA were pro-union. I know that cause i had forefathers from north georgia who fought for the union. Of course there were confederate sympathizers all over the east tennessee region, BUT as a whole it was pro-union of course.