MBA Headmaster Brad Gioia Resigning?

InItToWin

At this point, I have no real factual grasp of what's happened here, beyond the fact that it seems well established that the head coach passed a cashiers check to a football player, and that's clearly a violation of TSSAA rules. Beyond that, I don't know anything else as factual.

One thing that is abundantly clear is that from a public relations standpoint, MBA has handled this matter with incredible ineptitude. In my younger days, I was the lead investigator in an officer involved shooting. One thing we all understood was that it was important for us to provide the media with factual information as quickly as possible, without being afraid to say, "We don't know that right now, but as soon as we do, we'll pass it on to you." The media and the bloggers are going to write something. If you're not forthcoming with your version of events as you have found them, then you will read a story with lots of speculation and rumors, posed as questions or possible scenarios. And it's not going to be very favorable to you.

In deference to Mr. Gaither, "The silence is deafening."

11. MBA has taken no action against the parents that took the money. You can believe McGugin or not but one thing is for sure, the parents that took the money knew they should not and did it anyway and kept it quiet for some 17 months and jeopardized their son and all the MBA players to sanctions.

The war to remove the headmaster is one that must be fought by the MBA alumni. The headmaster has promoted the school well and done some remarkable things. Unfortunately, the handling of the firing of McGugin, whether you agree or disagree with it, was horribly botched and has become a public relations nightmare and the wounds are still open and may not heal. There has been no leadership on bringing MBA out of the mishandled termination and it looks like nothing else will be said and it has all been swept under the proverbial rug.I would think at a minimum that the school would let everyone know the rules where there will be no future violations or potential violations and that the parents who took the money would be barred from attending sporting events-it apparently worked well at Auburn when they told Cam Newton's dad to take a hike. The student should not be penalized as he had nothing to do with any of this.

The problem, as I see it, is that for a third time in a little over a decade, Brad Gioia and the powers behind the throne have been involved in successful football coaches either leaving, "resigning", or "agreeing to part ways", in each case following a lengthy, drawn-out, public train wreck full of a bunch of "he saids, she saids" and a neverending rumor mill. Every time.

I remember in '01 or '02, whichever year it was that Carlton Flatt came back to BA and took over from Tom Moore. Not a popular decision...but at least the leadership at BA had a clear vision of what it wanted and acted decisively. There wasn't a bunch of speculation "ohhh, we hear that Flatt might be coming back." With us, over and over, especially as it relates to the football program, every swinging (blank) who writes a large check has to be polled and given a chance to weigh in.

It's why it's unfair to pin all of this on Gioia. He serves at the pleasure of the board. And as GBO wrote, this is obviously what the board wants. So, if things are going to change over there, a lot of people are going to have to decide that they want something different.

At this point, I have no real factual grasp of what's happened here, beyond the fact that it seems well established that the head coach passed a cashiers check to a football player, and that's clearly a violation of TSSAA rules. Beyond that, I don't know anything else as factual.

One thing that is abundantly clear is that from a public relations standpoint, MBA has handled this matter with incredible ineptitude. In my younger days, I was the lead investigator in an officer involved shooting. One thing we all understood was that it was important for us to provide the media with factual information as quickly as possible, without being afraid to say, "We don't know that right now, but as soon as we do, we'll pass it on to you." The media and the bloggers are going to write something. If you're not forthcoming with your version of events as you have found them, then you will read a story with lots of speculation and rumors, posed as questions or possible scenarios. And it's not going to be very favorable to you.

In deference to Mr. Gaither, "The silence is deafening."

I am not picking on you but why would MBA have used a cashiers check instead of a check that was from the Montgomery Bell Academy checking account unless they were trying to hide something? Maybe they need to hire you up on the hill to investigate what the truth is as it relates to this case.

I am not picking on you but why would MBA have used a cashiers check instead of a check that was from the Montgomery Bell Academy checking account unless they were trying to hide something? Maybe they need to hire you up on the hill to investigate what the truth is as it relates to this case.

Picking on me? Not at all, we're discussing an issue, as once was commonplace on this board. You've been very civil to me, and I certainly hope I've been the same to you.

At no point in any of my posts have I ever suggested there's enough shoe polish to shine this particular cow patty. I don't know of any way the money could pass through MBA to the student, regardless of the financial instrument, and remain in compliance with TSSAA rules. The way the event played out (given what few facts we know) suggests to me two possibilities:

1. This hasn't happened before, the coach mishandled it by not informing the AD and Headmaster immediately, and his separation from the school is an absolute necessity.

2. This is a common enough occurence that there is a de facto policy as to how these matters are handled, and the coach had no need to go through his chain of command.

It seems to me that the best way to have handled this issue (and of course, that ship has long since sailed) would have been to inform the TSSAA of the potential (stifling a giggle here) violation AND asking them to come in and look into the matter thoroughly, with the school paying for the investigation and doing everything in its power to facilitate the TSSAA's efforts. Follow that up by acting decisively on the results, whatever they are. I'm sure all of the answers are coming. So is Jesus, but I'm not waiting up nights.

The problem, as I see it, is that for a third time in a little over a decade, Brad Gioia and the powers behind the throne have been involved in successful football coaches either leaving, "resigning", or "agreeing to part ways", in each case following a lengthy, drawn-out, public train wreck full of a bunch of "he saids, she saids" and a neverending rumor mill. Every time.

The word out of FRA is that Pack is not interested. He had a shot at the job after Bowers 'left' and said no. Gioia was the problem. Ditto this go around.

I can't imagine Gary Rankin wanting to work for Gioia either. 3 top coaches in 10 years. It sounds like you better not do too well or you are out. If the spotlight leaves the headmaster the football coach is in trouble.

The word out of FRA is that Pack is not interested. He had a shot at the job after Bowers 'left' and said no. Gioia was the problem. Ditto this go around.

I can't imagine Gary Rankin wanting to work for Gioia either. 3 top coaches in 10 years. It sounds like you better not do too well or you are out. If the spotlight leaves the headmaster the football coach is in trouble.

Bowers' "leaving" is in no way comparable to either of the others and really has no relevance to this thread. Ricky left of his own free will on his own terms so that he could take over the athletic department of a new school at which his daughters, as well as his sons, could grow and prosper.

• 4 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see how your headmaster, who apparently has major ego issues, handles Marty (very peculiar hire) who has issues of his own. Not to mention quite a track record.

http://www.coacht.com/boards/index.php/topic/119023-law-suit-at-jeff-county-patriots/

Nothing like reviving a DEAD issue from 6 years ago. <_<

You one of the Jeff County whiners that NO coach could please from up there? I did notice on your profile you list NOTHING to indicate ANY team you support.

Why did Paranoia Gioia kick out our teammate cause he didn't like him, but clown son of board member doesn't get punished when he gets arrested for drinking at the Belle Meade cocktail party ( steeplechase)? I guess that is how our school is run. Let's rename it Gioia Academy.

BRG13 you are obviously NOT a player on MBA's football team. That was made very clear last week when you posted DURING MBA's spring practice. You demean the team with your slander. Your motives are to stir up trouble and bash the MBA administration behind the guise of a football player. You have zero credibility and are one of the reasons folks don't spend much time on these forums anymore. I am sure you will spin up a new screen name, or pick one of the other dozen or so you use to lash out. Eventually though, you will mess up again. It has got to be really hard to keep up with so many lies?

IABT, there are three posters posting on this site that should not be here. WM, LOD and myself are here for some reasons about slandering a coach. This is a MBA issue and all of the associated posts. MBA is big enough to take care of their own issues. Rather getting upset with the site, everytime something like this happens in the STate people involved in any way voice an opinion. Three of us here remember the issues of the coach and with all respect, those issues are over with. The respect of the coach in 7AAA is well remembered, without question and water has been emptied from that dam a long time ago. For those of us who have some remembrance of the situation, he has a great deal of respect. This thread only deals with another subject. Its a subject that can only be dealt with by MBA fans and partisons if it really means that much to them and to some it does. I've seen them post before. But posting slanderous things about a just hired coach will not fly. How it happened I am unsure but MBA sold a first class coach and person to be on their team. He is very fair. The identity of the supposed posters who have a problem with that will be found out. From the outside, the hire is made, the coach is in place and its over with. The rest of it ONLY has to do with internal MBA situations. They will and can take care of it. It's time for this to stop, let the coaches coach and the players get ready to play and for responsible people at the school to find out what happened.