Training Philosophy

Pujo, we all have differing opinions but as long as we all can respect each other then it matters not if we are republican or democrat. The previous posts allude to wonderful points but you already understand the part about not taking away their childhood. You can't live where you live and not appreciate the outdoors so I would venture to say your 8th grader has seen bear, snake, and cat and most likely in their own back yard.

My POB is 1705 Kingsport, TN 37662. Just label it something obvious. You can give me your contact info in that communication. Every time I get on the core training soapbox here on the T the thread quickly dies. So I did'nt want to ruin this thread with the same old sermon. However, since Troll has broken trumps I will shed a bit of light. My son was a Second Degree Black Belt by his 10th birthday. Then he started playing football. He was a golfer before that. He is now working on his Third Dan in Taekwondo. But he has studied Kung Fu, Judo, Jiu Jitsu, Hapkido and has dabbled in MMA. Bruce Lee would take current MMA champions and break them like match sticks. IMO the Martial Arts are superior early developmental diciplines for any sport. And all acedemia. Especially football. You won't, however, find many people who will listen, agree, or otherwise deliberate the benefit of these diciplines in light of football training. Suffice to say, it teaches strict core dicipline and creates abilities the weight room will never see. Granted, the weight room has it's rightful place in the training regimen, but for bullet proof core training it is either Martial Arts, Dance or Gymnastics...period.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a Bruce Lee thread because my motive was purely to gain a bit of new knowledge about the weight room from people who knew more than me. So I want to keep that dialogue open. And yes, my son was a RB.

You put a group of linemen through just one month of Judo, and the difference is amazing come Friday Night. :ph34r:

People might not listen to the core stuff, but you are right on. There are plenty of good scientific, medical studies that show many of the lower extremity injuries can be minimized by better core strength and stability. Like pujo says, this really is just good common sense if you stop and think about it. Problem is lots of people don't think so good.:roflolk:

Edited by MountainTroll

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The creek actually helps, takes alot of balance and coordination to get up and down these creeks. They both do alot of trampoline and agility stuff, the oldest does weightlifting and alot of body weight exercises, he don't do heavy lifting,just weights he can do with good form for 10 reps. Exercise and diet is actually what makes the bones stronger. All kids do plyometrics, just not the advanced stuff. Itry to be smart about all this stuff,but I can always use advise, you seem to be extremely sharp and I respect the things you say. Keep it coming.

I hope you don't think I was criticizing. I know you're doing it right. I was trying to make some points for others who might be reading.:thumb: Wish we had better PE teachers at the elementary and middle school level working on this stuff.

Fellers eye don't no how this wood werk fer footbawl.....But when'st we dig taters on tha 4th ov July....Eye can git 2 big toe sacks.....lode 'em down with taters....Tie um togethur with sum bailin' twine and hang 'em around momma's neck and watch her lumber out thru that soft dirt two pappaw's basemint tater binn....Momma's sez hit's one good trainin' fillosofee and awful good inn tha skillit fryed.... :thumb:

Fellers eye don't no how this wood werk fer footbawl.....But when'st we dig taters on tha 4th ov July....Eye can git 2 big toe sacks.....lode 'em down with taters....Tie um togethur with sum bailin' twine and hang 'em around momma's neck and watch her lumber out thru that soft dirt two pappaw's basemint tater binn....Momma's sez hit's one good trainin' fillosofee and awful good inn tha skillit fryed.... :thumb:

And round hay bales effectively destroyed one of the best spring and summer strength and conditioning programs around.:thumb:

I hope you don't think I was criticizing. I know you're doing it right. I was trying to make some points for others who might be reading.:thumb: Wish we had better PE teachers at the elementary and middle school level working on this stuff.

Didn't think you were being criical mountaintroll, you sound very knowledgeable as far as I'm concerned. As a matter a fact ,the eldest just got through with a core training workout.In my opinion ,if you want to be an athelete,you better start with the core. You can do a heck of a workout and never tough a weight.At some point you have to do the olympic lifts,just need to start light and get the form down. I'm really loving this topic, just wish someone would figure out if you need to do deep or partial squats.

Didn't think you were being criical mountaintroll, you sound very knowledgeable as far as I'm concerned. As a matter a fact ,the eldest just got through with a core training workout.In my opinion ,if you want to be an athelete,you better start with the core. You can do a heck of a workout and never tough a weight.At some point you have to do the olympic lifts,just need to start light and get the form down. I'm really loving this topic, just wish someone would figure out if you need to do deep or partial squats.

As a surgeon, who knows a little about anatomy, kinesiology, and injury; I would maintain that partial squats to parallel or near parallel should accomplish their purpose. I also believe as others have stated, slow controlled negatives with quick explosive positive is the way to go. jmo

Pujo, we all have differing opinions but as long as we all can respect each other then it matters not if we are republican or democrat. The previous posts allude to wonderful points but you already understand the part about not taking away their childhood. You can't live where you live and not appreciate the outdoors so I would venture to say your 8th grader has seen bear, snake, and cat and most likely in their own back yard.

My POB is 1705 Kingsport, TN 37662. Just label it something obvious. You can give me your contact info in that communication. Every time I get on the core training soapbox here on the T the thread quickly dies. So I did'nt want to ruin this thread with the same old sermon. However, since Troll has broken trumps I will shed a bit of light. My son was a Second Degree Black Belt by his 10th birthday. Then he started playing football. He was a golfer before that. He is now working on his Third Dan in Taekwondo. But he has studied Kung Fu, Judo, Jiu Jitsu, Hapkido and has dabbled in MMA. Bruce Lee would take current MMA champions and break them like match sticks. IMO the Martial Arts are superior early developmental diciplines for any sport. And all acedemia. Especially football. You won't, however, find many people who will listen, agree, or otherwise deliberate the benefit of these diciplines in light of football training. Suffice to say, it teaches strict core dicipline and creates abilities the weight room will never see. Granted, the weight room has it's rightful place in the training regimen, but for bullet proof core training it is either Martial Arts, Dance or Gymnastics...period.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a Bruce Lee thread because my motive was purely to gain a bit of new knowledge about the weight room from people who knew more than me. So I want to keep that dialogue open. And yes, my son was a RB.

My kids have a great time in this neck of the woods, lots of fishing and hunting. My oldest like playing sports more than anything else.He would rather play a game of football than go to Disneyland.Not many kids are like that ,but he just loves it. I think you're method of training is very knowledeable.

And round hay bales effectively destroyed one of the best spring and summer strength and conditioning programs around.:thumb:

Now that's a truthful statement.

Also alot of kids now a days, don't get conditioned to the heat.

When I was a youngster, football practice was actually an easy break from hay making and tobacco cutting, staking, hanging and strippin.

Dang, I'm tired just thinking about it. :lol:

Now that's a truthful statement.

Also alot of kids now a days, don't get conditioned to the heat.

When I was a youngster, football practice was actually an easy break from hay making and tobacco cutting, staking, hanging and strippin.

Dang, I'm tired just thinking about it. :lol:

Yeah ,too many house cats these days, its no wonder kids get injured when they never get used to the great outdoors.

As a surgeon, who knows a little about anatomy, kinesiology, and injury; I would maintain that partial squats to parallel or near parallel should accomplish their purpose. I also believe as others have stated, slow controlled negatives with quick explosive positive is the way to go. jmo

I'm not so sure any of us have it down to a science, we mainly know what the so called experts say ,but they change their opinions ever so often.

On the other hand,a person in you're field should have a leg up on the rest of us.My oldest son is doing a routine Igot off the net called jump you're way to fitness,if you get a chance look at it and give me you're opinion on it. Its a pretty tough workout for an 8th grade kid ,but he has played 3 sports for 9 years and has been condictioning for a long time. He can squat 1.5 of his body weight and can bench about 15 pounds over his bodyweight. The only injury ,knock on wood has been a broken finger.

I'm not so sure any of us have it down to a science, we mainly know what the so called experts say ,but they change their opinions ever so often.

On the other hand,a person in you're field should have a leg up on the rest of us.My oldest son is doing a routine Igot off the net called jump you're way to fitness,if you get a chance look at it and give me you're opinion on it. Its a pretty tough workout for an 8th grade kid ,but he has played 3 sports for 9 years and has been condictioning for a long time. He can squat 1.5 of his body weight and can bench about 15 pounds over his bodyweight. The only injury ,knock on wood has been a broken finger.

My link

This is what I found on Google. Assume this is the routine you are referring to. Looks like a tough and well rounded workout. I like how they incorporate the exercise in with the lifting. Depending on you work/rest philosophy, you could stick a day of rest in between each of the four workout days. My only concern with plyo's and jumping in young athletes is making sure that they are wearing properly cushioned footwear with some lateral support and alway on a low impact type of surface (mat or natural turf).

My link

This is what I found on Google. Assume this is the routine you are referring to. Looks like a tough and well rounded workout. I like how they incorporate the exercise in with the lifting. Depending on you work/rest philosophy, you could stick a day of rest in between each of the four workout days. My only concern with plyo's and jumping in young athletes is making sure that they are wearing properly cushioned footwear with some lateral support and alway on a low impact type of surface (mat or natural turf).

Thanks Mr Troll, sounds like we're on the same page, He's not doing the 4day split ,its every other day and at the end od the 4th day,rests for 2 days. He always uses a mat or the ground for the jumping exercises. Aways warms up with either jumprope or the trampoline. He wants to be a good football player and the hard work is not a problem ,I just don't want to over do it.

Thanks alot for taking the time to look it over, I think you may be just a tad bit more educated than I. I do alot of research and just try to use common sense, but I'm definately not a Dr or an atheletic trainer.

Another thing I have a problem with is the stretching stuff, alot of varying opinions on it. I think the Vols quit it altogether. I mainly just have him hang on the rings and some light stretching.