Best Newspaper Coverage....

TheAnswer9

I believe the small town guys do a better job covering their respective teams than do the "big guys!" Case in point--the News-Sentinel and Tennessean try, but...even in the special prep-section of the Sentinel on Wednesday, Mark Burgess only includes a select number of counties--Knox, Anderson, Blount, Loudon, and Jefferson, along with one Kingston stat. Hey Burgess ole boy, did you forget that you sell a lot of papers in Roane County--OS, Harriman, Rockwood, Kingston, & Midway, Morgan County--Coalfield, Wartburg, Oakdale, & Sunbright, Scott County--Scott High and Oneida, Campbell County--Campbell County High and Jellico High, Claiborne County--Powell Valley and Claiborne County High, Union County--Union County High, Hamblen County--Mo West and Mo East, and I can't remember is Sevier County were included or not--Seymour, Gat-Pitt, Pigeon Forge, and Sevier County High. Wake UP!! Get the kids in the area some ink--you get the paper out all over East Tennessee and I know that GOOSE, BRIAN, and RICHARD among others have stats for all the respective teams in their county, so...for you to tell them you're not including those schools in an injustice. As for Fridays, the Sentinel does a pretty good job of previewing the "big game" even if it is in Roane County like the Rockwood-OS game a few weeks ago, so..I just don't really understand.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hear it for your local guy(s) out there in football land:

Here is my honest opinion about some of the writers that do a good, great, or excellent job--(however you want to view it) from what I have observed: (please note: I know there are several big ones out there, so please list)

Brian Langley, Morgan County News, Weekly

Goose Lindsay and stringers, Roane County News, Tri-Weekly

Chad Latham??, Cookeville Herald-Citizen, Daily + Sunday

Richard Magyar, Scott County News, Weekly

Dwayne Wilder, LaFollette Press, Weekly

Ray Blakney, Clinton-Courier News, Bi-Weekly

Mike Blackerby, The Oak Ridger, Daily

Yes, I read these papers very frequently--on a weekly, bi-weekly, tri-weekly, or daily basis---as published!! These days I do have to read the Herald-Citizen via the internet, but....

Now let's hear it for your local guys and helpers!!

[Edited by TheAnswer9 on 10-9-02 10:35P]

The pro sports in the Nashville area have hurt local high coverage, but space for high school sports have always been an issue. The feature stories are about all you get in the Tennessean.

The links on CoachT serve a great purpose. The Columbia paper appears to do a solid job of covering sports in Maury County.

Isn't one of the major reasons we are on this site is the lack of coverage in the newspapers? I would love to see what WesVols is doing in Williamson County become a reality for all areas of the state -- on CoachT.com.

Also, a nice bit of high school info can be found on www.tennessean.com/sports. Click on the "Prep sports" link and you will get info on each midstate team. Still, coacht is the way to go if you want in-depth information from insiders who know. I would love to see more county-by-county posts as well, I enjoy making the WilCo ones and it's not really too much trouble because it's fun. Maybe some other people can do that with their areas.

A newspaper in the worksgiving complete coverage soley dedicated to Knoxville High school area sports. The paper will be weekly covering each Knoxville team and Loudon, Monroe, Roane, Scott, Morgan, Campbell, Anderson, Grainger, Union, Claiborne, Jefferson, Hamblen, Sevier, Cocke, Blount counties with coverage to over 60 schools. This paper will target all sports with an emphasis on the football, basketball, baseball, and soccer. The goal/aim is to have in depth coverage of schools/players wit interviews/bios and coverage that has eluded many players/schools that are STARVED for the attention they deserve. For instance, in the Knoxville area alone, there are two of the top 10 players as juniors in the nation in Corey Booker from Oak Ridge and Sade Buley from South Doyle. East Tennessee and sports fans in this area seldomly get in depth coverage on recruiting, bios, and info. Players Like Laura Hall of Oliver Springs, Sevier County's AAA championship in womens basketball, Maryville's attempt of a three-peat need to be exposed and put out there. Bearden's mens soccer finishing in the top 5 natinally this past year or a write-up on the Anderson County volleyball program that has dominated that scene and few no about it unles you read small print in the Sentinal. As Goose said, a Chattanooga paper deliverd Oakdale's Brad Howard state record in the early 90's, not the sentinal... Without speaking of the negatives of non-converage, the goal is to give equal coverage regradless of school and classification in the Knoxville area and finally bring the are together with some sense of coverage area once and for all.

No doubt, the Chattanooga Free Press has much better sports than the Knoxville News Senseless.

As for local smalltown newspaper sportscoverage in my immediate area, Morgan County News and Roane County News are the best. The Oak Ridger is pretty good, but they hardly cover anyone but O.R. The Clinton Courier News has equal coverage of both AC and Clinton.

[Edited by orangenblack on 10-10-02 4:36P]

Local newspapers have better coverage...because they are supposed to. All the folks you have named are great and do wonderful jobs. But, in all fairness, that's what they should be doing. Extra-special attention to sports in their area is what makes them local papers. I hate seeing a small paper trying to look like The Tennessean, when their advanatage should be the extra attention they are giving teams in their county.

I really hate the all-sports paper Goose started and I took over had to fold because east Tennessee may be the only area of the state it would have worked.

And OS91, I have heard you talk about this all-sports paper for quite some time, how about some specifics? Who is doing it....where are they located....when will we see the first issue...how in the heck will they cover all you said they would cover and not have an editorial staff that would rival Sports Illustrated?

[Edited by TankTalk on 10-10-02 11:02A]

The best sports section in middle Tennessee has to be the Souther Standard in Mcminnville,TN. Rob and Dale are two of the best writers and the sports dept. has won awards for the non-daily papers. They have done a great job covering all the sports in the county. My hats off to them for being able to cover so many different sports and keep the readers happy and up to date on what`s happening.

As far as the thread" Best Newspapers", I only read the sports. Don`t know much about the rest of the paper. :D

I hope whoever gets this paper going has success. I'd love for people around East Tennessee to learn more about players such as Laura Hall and I know the folks from Roane County would like to know about other special athletes from the area that I cannot provide in the Roane Counbty News. This kind of paper would be ideal for people like me and many of us on CoachT who simply read the sports section anyway.

You are exactly right about the big papers not covering there circulation area. I e-mailed and complained when the Sentinal wasn't going to include Sweetwater (monroe co.) in there stats section, they said they were going to include only counties that bordered Knox co. They don't mind selling there newspaper here, and i'm sure they sell many in Monroe co.! I think they should cover everyone in there circulation area! They told me they might include more teams next year. The Democrate/Advocate in Monroe Co. does an excellent job of covering Sweetwater, Tellico, and Sequoyah. Also check out www.fridaynighthits.com to find pictures and info. on these teams! I hope the paper you are talking about really happens, it is much needed, and I look forward to reading and supporting it!

[Edited by Swildcat1967 on 10-10-02 1:40P]