Maryville - Greenville Scrimmage

YANKERX

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TSSAA STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Maryville and Alcoa have 12 state titles. There is no "13th title". The 1964 title that Maryville "claims" is actually in the record books as belonging to Jackson. Maryville therefore does not OFFICIALLY have a "13th title".

See the links (I listed them both) below:

STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS SITE A

STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS SITE B

That still leaves 330 points to 184 in the last ten years with 8 wins to 2.That's pretty much owning a team however you look at it.There might be an argument if they had never played and Maryville didn't have that huge disparity in dominance on the field.What can be said in Alcoa's defense is that they have the best program as compared to the class anybody plays in.Nobody has owned any classification the way Alcoa has with 7 straight titles.If Alcoa wins the next couple against Maryville,I stand corrected and Alcoa is the very best program in the state nomatter what the class.Outside of the private schools, Maryville may be the only school that could have had this advantage over Alcoa in such a way.

TSSAA STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Maryville and Alcoa have 12 state titles. There is no "13th title". The 1964 title that Maryville "claims" is actually in the record books as belonging to Jackson. Maryville therefore does not OFFICIALLY have a "13th title".

See the links (I listed them both) below:

STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS SITE A

STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS SITE B

howdoitknow2......Mairvul wuz tha 1964 AP Stait Champ...Now Jackson may haiv won hit inn anuther pole....That's why eye like playoffs.... :blush:

Don't know how Greeneville conducts scrimmages but I know GQ will play everyone on Maryville's roster. I have seen teams in the past leave their starters in a long time so they can say they whipped Maryville's butt.

Greeneville won't have the depth to run whole offensive and defensive lines the way Maryville can without a huge drop off.

That still leaves 330 points to 184 in the last ten years with 8 wins to 2.That's pretty much owning a team however you look at it.There might be an argument if they had never played and Maryville didn't have that huge disparity in dominance on the field.What can be said in Alcoa's defense is that they have the best program as compared to the class anybody plays in.Nobody has owned any classification the way Alcoa has with 7 straight titles.If Alcoa wins the next couple against Maryville,I stand corrected and Alcoa is the very best program in the state nomatter what the class.Outside of the private schools, Maryville may be the only school that could have had this advantage over Alcoa in such a way.

I am not arguing whether or not "Maryville or Alcoa is BETTER?".I'm just saying that they have 12 titles not 13.

Thanks for clarifying that for me STARSNBARS. Could you please post a link that verifies that Maryville is "THE RECOGNIZED" state champions of the 1964 football season? Thanks!

Since the playoff era began in 1969 I know that both teams have won 12 titles. I was one of the people who went back and researched the Litkenhouse Rating System that determined "the recognized state champions" prior to 1969. My research took me back many years through past copies of newspapers such as "The Tennessean" and "The Nashville Banner" (now defunct).

I am not arguing whether or not "Maryville or Alcoa is BETTER?".I'm just saying that they have 12 titles not 13.

Thanks for clarifying that for me STARSNBARS. Could you please post a link that verifies that Maryville is "THE RECOGNIZED" state champions of the 1964 football season? Thanks!

Since the playoff era began in 1969 I know that both teams have won 12 titles. I was one of the people who went back and researched the Litkenhouse Rating System that determined "the recognized state champions" prior to 1969. My research took me back many years through past copies of newspapers such as "The Tennessean" and "The Nashville Banner" (now defunct).

looks like someone needs to do some more research... unsure.gif

I can just see howdoiknowit2 using his slide rule trying to figure all of this out ... take the nawt from the nawt ..... lol , either way guys we all look forward to another great year of Tennessee high school football !! I'm just thankful for teams like Alcoa who aren't afraid to do their talking on the field ..... unlike a few teams we found out about when they tucked tail and ran at the offer to play Maryville and Alcoa . :roflol:

Greeneville won't have the depth to run whole offensive and defensive lines the way Maryville can without a huge drop off.

This is why Greeneville will score more points in the scrimmage.Plus Greeneville is really good. GQ plays his starters just for a little bit. He is afraid of the injury bug. I will never forget preseason of 2002. I went to every scrimmage and watched Maryville roll. Their offense was unstoppable. In the Dobyns Bennett scrimmage at Maryville it was like a game format. Maryville was ahead 28-0 before halftime when a key injury struck the Maryville team. Alex Rouse tore his knee and was out for the season. In my opinion he was never the same player after his injury. Quarles was devastated. I think that changed the way Quarles does his scrimmages now. He gets those starters out quickly. Used to he would play his starters half the scrimmage.

Edited by REBELRON

This is why Greeneville will score more points in the scrimmage.Plus Greeneville is really good. GQ plays his starters just for a little bit. He is afraid of the injury bug. I will never forget preseason of 2002. I went to every scrimmage and watched Maryville roll. Their offense was unstoppable. In the Dobyns Bennett scrimmage at Maryville it was like a game format. Maryville was ahead 28-0 before halftime when a key injury struck the Maryville team. Alex Rouse tore his knee and was out for the season. In my opinion he was never the same player after his injury. Quarles was devastated. I think that changed the way Quarles does his scrimmages now. He gets those starters out quickly. Used to he would play his starters half the scrimmage.

It's a hard call on how to prepare for the season and playoffs.Injuries have played a big part in DB's playoff disapointments in the last few years.They came at the very worst of times however.In 2008 we lost our star running back right before half and it look for the world like we would win by four to six touchdowns and we just came apart and got beat in the first round.We had our star wideout and defensive back go down in the first round another year,same results.I say play hard unless it's a game that's put away and a chance for the young guys to get in.One of my son's got hurt going into the last couple of weeks during practice one year on a freak play. Surgery a couple weeks later.Football is a dangerous sport,but you can only do so much and the rest is a matter of luck sometimes.I don't know why,but nobody ever spells GreenEville corectly.I'm the worlds worst speller but try to never forget the extra E in GreenEville TN

Edited by BatmanDB